4x4 Mart magazine discount

The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club
Landcruiser Club - Dedicated to Toyota Landcruiser, Amazon, Colorado and Prado Owners

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
TLOCUK HomeTLOCUK Home   TLOCUK ForumsTLOCUK Forums  TLOCUK FaceBook GroupTLOCUK FaceBook Group
Click here to link to the South African LandCruiser Owners Club websiteLCCSA  Click here to link to the Australian LandCruiser Owners OnLine website - possibly the longest established Land Cruiser club on the net!LCOOL  Click here to link to the IH8MUD website - run by extremely enthusiastic Land Cruiser owners, with a fantastic source of DIY information and useful forum!IH8MUD  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

Now an Owner

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> 90 Series / Prado / Colorado Technical Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ipaulog

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2017 15:21    Post subject: Now an Owner Reply with quote

I have just put a deposit on a 2002 KDJ95.
It has a lot of service history and the timing belt was last done at Toyota main dealers in 2010 at 88,609 miles (approximately 44 thousand miles ago).
I had a look underneath and all is solid apart from the undertray/sump guard, disc backing plates/shields, and tank guard (which are a bit like Swiss cheese).
The rear diff lock actuator isn't functional but that seems common from my reading on here.
I just have to insure it in the morning and I get to drive it. A bit of a change from my VW T4 double cab pickup. Just hoping the insurance isn't going to go up too much!

Cheers,
Paul.
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2017 15:21    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

diggerdave

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2017 16:54    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congratulations mate.  Good luck with it.
Captain Slog

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 19:58    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just what I'm looking for too! Please post any further info that will help!
ipaulog

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 20:47    Post subject: Reply with quote

Enjoying the driving experience so far and all seems as I expected.
Having read the owners book now I think I may have been wrong regarding the timing belt service intervals. I'll be looking to get a price for a belt and pump change as soon as is affordable.
I'll also be looking at tyres in the not too distant future. It has Dunlop's on the rear axle and General Grabbers on the front. The fronts seem a bit noisy on smooth tarmac but maybe that's to be expected I will be reading on here to help decide which way to go.
DaveWall

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2017 6:29    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Belt is surprisingly easy to replace - not even much if you get Mr Toyota to do it!

Check tyre pressures/tracking if the fronts are noisy - and dont be tempted with Mud Terrain tyres if you dont like road noise! Smile
Roger Fairclough

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2017 23:06    Post subject: Reply with quote

All Terrain (AT) tyres are a lot quieter than Mud terrain (MT) and will suffice for most green lane use, but if you are looking at pure sealed road use then an All Purpose tyre (AP) will be suitable and it's quieter still.

Roger
diggerdave

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2017 12:05    Post subject: Reply with quote

You learn to put up with the noise of mud terrains, but find yourself constantly worrying whether the constant slight whiny-roar is something more sinister  Shocked
Despite owning 4x4s with mud terrains for a few years now I still have no idea how you would ever be able to distinguish, say, a dodgy wheel bearing or a noisy front diff from the tyre noise.  In theory, you'd listen for a change in the noise of course but if it's quite subtle you just wouldn't notice, and in any case tyre noise changes as the tyre gets older too.
Roger Fairclough

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2017 12:34    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just as important - imho - as noise is the harshness that you get with MT's.

Roger
DaveWall

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2017 14:49    Post subject: Reply with quote

You notice when you replace a wheel bearing and drive around thinking "Blimey it's quiet in here!" LoL

Well you do on an Impreza thats for sure!

My Landcruiser is significantly quieter when it has been across the farm and not washed for a few weeks, I guess the mud dampens the noise!
paul6

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 16:58    Post subject: Reply with quote

DaveWall wrote:
You notice when you replace a wheel bearing and drive around thinking "Blimey it's quiet in here!" LoL

Well you do on an Impreza thats for sure!

My Landcruiser is significantly quieter when it has been across the farm and not washed for a few weeks, I guess the mud dampens the noise!

Mine is the opposite, drives beautiful and quiet when clean
millerich

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 8:39    Post subject: Reply with quote

My Colorado came along after a pair of Imprezas. Ride and noise are bliss in comparison!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> 90 Series / Prado / Colorado Technical Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: