Milner Off-Road

The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club
Landcruiser Club - Dedicated to Toyota Landcruiser, Amazon, Colorado and Prado Owners

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
TLOCUK HomeTLOCUK Home   TLOCUK ForumsTLOCUK Forums  TLOCUK FaceBook GroupTLOCUK FaceBook Group
Click here to link to the South African LandCruiser Owners Club websiteLCCSA  Click here to link to the Australian LandCruiser Owners OnLine website - possibly the longest established Land Cruiser club on the net!LCOOL  Click here to link to the IH8MUD website - run by extremely enthusiastic Land Cruiser owners, with a fantastic source of DIY information and useful forum!IH8MUD  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

Advice on changing oils

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> General Technical Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Daveag1971

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 14:57    Post subject: Advice on changing oils Reply with quote

Just come back to landcruiser after a little break away from them and serviced the car at weekend. But I want to change all the gearbox oil, transfer box oils , etc...do the lot as you never know when they where last done. I will be doing the coolant with fresh too...so alittle advice with precedures and tools required etc....as I have never done this before but happy to try if I have the right Information to hand.
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 14:57    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

Dusty

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 22:59    Post subject: Reply with quote

First rule of changing Dif/Manual gear/Transfer box Oil.

ALWAYS ensure that you can undo the fill plug BEFORE removing the drain one.  Laughing
Roger Fairclough

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 23:08    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dusty wrote:
First rule of changing Dif/Manual gear/Transfer box Oil.

ALWAYS ensure that you can undo the fill plug BEFORE removing the drain one.  Laughing

Cynical but wise.

Roger
Roger Fairclough

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2017 12:24    Post subject: Reply with quote

For best results, drain the oils when they are hot and allow to drain for an hour. Clean the drain plugs and check the magnet for excess swarf. Use the best oils you can afford. Don't overtighten the plugs when you put them back. If in doubt, replace the plug washers.

Roger
joinerman

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2017 19:28    Post subject: Reply with quote

Top tip

ALWAYS undo the filler plug FIRST.  !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Roger Fairclough

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2017 23:32    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a safety aspect to removing the filler plug first.

If you don't and the oil is hot and the pressure release valve is clogged then you can develop pressure in the box, diff etc and when you remove the drain plug, very hot oil under pressure will spray every where. Sad  

Roger
Shep69
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 10:10    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd like to have my gearbox/diff oils replaced as I can't be sure when they were last changed. My 2001 2UZ-FE has covered almost 110k miles now (I can already hear sniggering from the higher mileage owners of 100 series) There are two points to raise here, 1, Every time I ask a garage about changing the ATF/Diff oils they tell me that I don't need to bother. 2, What are the best ATF/Diff oils/additives recommended by everyone? Shep,
Roger Fairclough

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 12:28    Post subject: Reply with quote

I change my transmission oils every 30,000 miles and I am not being cynical.

Firstly check the spec required and then buy from a known, respected manufacturer.

Roger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> General Technical Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: