4x4 Mart magazine discount

The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club
Landcruiser Club - Dedicated to Toyota Landcruiser, Amazon, Colorado and Prado Owners

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
TLOCUK HomeTLOCUK Home   TLOCUK ForumsTLOCUK Forums  TLOCUK FaceBook GroupTLOCUK FaceBook Group
Click here to link to the South African LandCruiser Owners Club websiteLCCSA  Click here to link to the Australian LandCruiser Owners OnLine website - possibly the longest established Land Cruiser club on the net!LCOOL  Click here to link to the IH8MUD website - run by extremely enthusiastic Land Cruiser owners, with a fantastic source of DIY information and useful forum!IH8MUD  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

Fitting rear fog lights on a BJ73 AND is it really a BJ73?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> 70 Series / Prado / Troopie / Bundera Technical Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nevalti

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2017 11:15    Post subject: Fitting rear fog lights on a BJ73 AND is it really a BJ73? Reply with quote

First question: I am about to import a 1993 BJ73 and I have only just become aware that the Japanese do not have rear fog lights. I therefore have to fit one (or two) myself.  Can anyone tell me how and where they fitted either a single light or a pair of lights on their 73? Centre of the roof looks simple enough but I don't really want to do that as I hope to go topless sometimes. Also, satisfactorily hiding the wires inside the hard-top is probably impossible. Unless I can get a fog light into the light cluster(s), it looks surprisingly difficult. I really don't want to mount one on the bumper but I would also like to hear from people who have done that. Photos would be much appreciated.

Second question: It has a 3B engine but I thought they stopped using those in 1986. Can anyone confirm that the 3B was indeed fitted in 1993 or is this a replacement engine?
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2017 11:15    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

andy

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2017 13:58    Post subject: Reply with quote

Done it a few times on Surfs, and have taken power from anywhere on the loom under right side of dash, the Surf's have trunking under the carpet running to rear on right side, then just mounted a light under the right hand side of bumper, take the wire through the floor to rear of fog light, or if it has two reverse lights the right one can be converted using a coloured bulb.
Mercedes Sprinter 311 Luton
1993 VX80 4.2td SOLD
1996 Hilux Surf SSR-G Intercooler Sold
1994 Hilux Surf SSR-V Sold
nevalti

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2017 16:56    Post subject: Reply with quote

andy wrote:
..... if it has two reverse lights the right one can be converted using a coloured bulb.

That's an interesting idea Andy. I certainly wouldn't get an IVA with that set up though, the regs are quite specific.  I could quietly revert to your idea after it is registered though and just use a clamp-on rear fog for the IVA.
I'm hoping the wiring loom already has a wire to the back for a rear fog and that I can find that near the front. Failing that it is easy enough, but time consuming, routing the cable safely to the back.
andy

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2017 10:18    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you sure you need a IVA for a vehicle over 10 years old, when I was importing Surfs it was just MOT for anything over 10 years, also I did use a bit of red lacquer model paint for the clear lens, this was no problem with the MOT people.
1993 VX80 4.2td SOLD
nevalti

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2017 14:38    Post subject: Reply with quote

andy wrote:
Are you sure you need a IVA for a vehicle over 10 years old, when I was importing Surfs it was just MOT for anything over 10 years, also I did use a bit of red lacquer model paint for the clear lens, this was no problem with the MOT people.

No, I'm not sure at all. I thought however that the rules for RHD cars were pretty stringent.

I have never imported a car before and am only going by what I have read. I wasn't aware of a 10 year cut off so maybe I have been reading the wrong thing. If it really is that simple perhaps I should visit an MOT tester and get his comment.

Do you know where I can read about that 10 year cut off?
andy

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2017 15:10    Post subject: Reply with quote

Read section 1.9 of https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/277534/guide-to-the-iva-scheme.pdf
1993 VX80 4.2td SOLD
Russell6491

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 23:09    Post subject: Reply with quote

When i had the IVA test on mine last year the guy who prepared for the test suggested fitting red lamp in reversing light. He said he does it often and it would pass the test.
As i wanted both reversing lights i opted for a LED fog light onbthe bumper.
outdoordan

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 20:03    Post subject: Reply with quote

First question

Fog light. just done this on mine. For mot and first registration vehicle must be fitted with a fog light on the off side. Rear right looking at the vehicle from rear.

For ease I suggest buying a set off an LJ70. Much more numerous in UK and fits straight in. My euro import had a foglight on the nearside so bought the off side cluster off a breaking LJ70 and ran wires from one side to the other.

Cant advise on wiring from dash as I didnt have to do it and wiring isn't my strong point.

Second question.

BJ73 came with 3B as standard for some markets I know of. France is one. Sold with 3B and 3B Turbo (BJ74). The French refer to the 3BT as the 13B.

In Spain and Portugal it was fitted with 2.5L 4 and 5 cylinder VM units.

Cheers
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> 70 Series / Prado / Troopie / Bundera Technical Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: