Adrian Flux : 0800 916 1257

The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club
Landcruiser Club - Dedicated to Toyota Landcruiser, Amazon, Colorado and Prado Owners

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
TLOCUK HomeTLOCUK Home   TLOCUK ForumsTLOCUK Forums  TLOCUK FaceBook GroupTLOCUK FaceBook Group
Click here to link to the South African LandCruiser Owners Club websiteLCCSA  Click here to link to the Australian LandCruiser Owners OnLine website - possibly the longest established Land Cruiser club on the net!LCOOL  Click here to link to the IH8MUD website - run by extremely enthusiastic Land Cruiser owners, with a fantastic source of DIY information and useful forum!IH8MUD  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

Broken diff hanger !!!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> 90 Series / Prado / Colorado Technical Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cbv8

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2017 19:26    Post subject: Broken diff hanger !!! Reply with quote

Hi All,
Having just bought my second Colorado since last owning one in 2008 i have discovered that this one seems pretty rusty underneath i have found a bracket that holds the diff in place cracked in two is this the norm for these cars as it was only Mot'd in Feb this year and find this quite concerning Shocked  i don't know how to attach a picture sorry unless some kind soul can do it for me  Wink
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2017 19:26    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

DaveWall

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2017 5:29    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you mean the front diff?

Very unusual!!!

Or do you mean hold the rear axle where it should be - i.e. a bracket on the rear axle cracked.... A few others have found this - the best option is to roll the rear axel out complete (which is surprisingly easy) and give it all a good check, then just either re-weld or re fabricate the brackets then give it a damn good clean and anti rust paint.
cbv8

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2017 9:25    Post subject: Reply with quote

DaveWall wrote:
Do you mean the front diff?

Very unusual!!!

Or do you mean hold the rear axle where it should be - i.e. a bracket on the rear axle cracked.... A few others have found this - the best option is to roll the rear axel out complete (which is surprisingly easy) and give it all a good check, then just either re-weld or re fabricate the brackets then give it a damn good clean and anti rust paint.

Hi Dave its the rear diff hanger brackets when i bought it the chap said they had plated it to get through the mot which they did but the other side was also completely cracked in two it passed the mot in Feb this year so how could the other on go so quickly?? i was going to weld/fabricate in situ  Wink
DaveWall

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 5:28    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah I'm sure your meaning the Axle Brackets as the rear diff is mounted in the rear axle... this has happened to a few.  I've checked mine in the past and painted them up, but was pretty confident I could weld up the main parts in situ.    But if they have both corroded, the reason to roll the axle out is that other bit may be needing cleaning and painting up.  (Also check the diff lock actuator and behind where it mounts if you have rear diff lock)

You would have thought the MOT place would have picked up on it needing doing, especially if they did the other side!  

It's the damn salt they put on the roads!
cbv8

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 12:52    Post subject: Reply with quote

DaveWall wrote:
Ah I'm sure your meaning the Axle Brackets as the rear diff is mounted in the rear axle... this has happened to a few.  I've checked mine in the past and painted them up, but was pretty confident I could weld up the main parts in situ.    But if they have both corroded, the reason to roll the axle out is that other bit may be needing cleaning and painting up.  (Also check the diff lock actuator and behind where it mounts if you have rear diff lock)

You would have thought the MOT place would have picked up on it needing doing, especially if they did the other side!  

It's the damn salt they put on the roads!
Thanks for that Dave i could send you the picture of the damage if you would kindly post it for me please  Wink
DaveWall

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2017 9:38    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here are the pics

DaveWall

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2017 9:44    Post subject: Reply with quote

It does look to me like you want to look at some new rear springs soon too, not much space beween the axle and bump stop...  Good Rear Springs make a huge improvement to the handling in my experience.

As for the bracket, yes bit of a pain... to be fair it does look recently broken so may not have been there for the MOT, they are relatively easy to weld, but as mentioned before, if your looking to keep the truck for a long time, I would still be tempted to roll the rear axle out and give it a good wire brush off and paint it up.... They are relatively easy to remove...
cbv8

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2017 13:16    Post subject: Reply with quote

DaveWall wrote:
It does look to me like you want to look at some new rear springs soon too, not much space beween the axle and bump stop...  Good Rear Springs make a huge improvement to the handling in my experience.

As for the bracket, yes bit of a pain... to be fair it does look recently broken so may not have been there for the MOT, they are relatively easy to weld, but as mentioned before, if your looking to keep the truck for a long time, I would still be tempted to roll the rear axle out and give it a good wire brush off and paint it up.... They are relatively easy to remove...

Thanks for doing that for me Dave and thanks for the info very much appreciated matee  Wink
cbv8

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 16:09    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Dave,
I just managed to post a photo Andy sent me the help posting pictures thanks both  notworthy
DaveWall

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 5:10    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you had it welded up now?

I guess its standard suspension - you should get a measurement from the top of the wheel rim to the inside edge of the wheel arch, then get someone else with standard suspension to measure theirs....

Park on Level Ground, and I assume you have the standard 16" wheels on it.

See if the rear coils have sagged, they are pretty easy to swap out.
cbv8

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 22:14    Post subject: Reply with quote

DaveWall wrote:
Have you had it welded up now?

I guess its standard suspension - you should get a measurement from the top of the wheel rim to the inside edge of the wheel arch, then get someone else with standard suspension to measure theirs....

Park on Level Ground, and I assume you have the standard 16" wheels on it.

See if the rear coils have sagged, they are pretty easy to swap out.

Hi Dave not yet i intend doing the repair myself ie jacking the diff assembly up until the break starts closing up then go from there and yes all standard mate  Wink
DaveWall

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 8:27    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah should be easy enough, I assume you'll Mig it up - trick is to turn the gas up as soon as your outside the workshop, it's amazing what a bit of breeze will move! maybe  weld the crack up, then plate over the top...
cbv8

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 10:50    Post subject: Reply with quote

DaveWall wrote:
Yeah should be easy enough, I assume you'll Mig it up - trick is to turn the gas up as soon as your outside the workshop, it's amazing what a bit of breeze will move! maybe  weld the crack up, then plate over the top...
Exactly my thoughts Dave  Wink
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> 90 Series / Prado / Colorado Technical Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: