2Gether FS : 01945 585322

The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club
Landcruiser Club - Dedicated to Toyota Landcruiser, Amazon, Colorado and Prado Owners

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
TLOCUK HomeTLOCUK Home   TLOCUK ForumsTLOCUK Forums  TLOCUK FaceBook GroupTLOCUK FaceBook Group
Click here to link to the South African LandCruiser Owners Club websiteLCCSA  Click here to link to the Australian LandCruiser Owners OnLine website - possibly the longest established Land Cruiser club on the net!LCOOL  Click here to link to the IH8MUD website - run by extremely enthusiastic Land Cruiser owners, with a fantastic source of DIY information and useful forum!IH8MUD  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

Diff Hanger snapped

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> 90 Series / Prado / Colorado Technical Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
paul6

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2017 18:10    Post subject: Diff Hanger snapped Reply with quote

Hi all,

Driving home last night and heard a bang from the rear end and when i travelled over any speed humps you could hear something bottom out on the rear, more evident with the windows down, but could be heard in the car, i thought one of my suspension springs had snapped.

Upon investigation i have noticed that the bracket coming off the axle on the drivers side, that sits on top of the axle and connects to the swinging arm? has snapped due to corrosion, looking at the snap i feel that only a new/good second hand axle will suffice, or is it repairable in another way.

I am no welder and own no welding equipment and am based in Stafford is anyone out there that can lend a hand.

I have spied an axle on the E**y (please excuse my language) if i need a replacement, it's from a 2000 Landie 3L diesel which is 3 years younger than mine so i have asked the seller for more pics to try and evaluate their comparison, it looks OK from a truck which had front end damage only.

The truck stills drives ok with this break, amazing, no wonder Landie owners are reluctant to pass these trucks on.

Thanks in advance.

Paul
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2017 18:10    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

DaveWall

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2017 8:02    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are quite a few pics of similar breaks on here, quite easy to weld/fabricate a stronger bracket....    Perhaps someone nearer can give you advice on a good place, but any garage that does welding should be able to do it, as it's far easier than normal car bodywork to weld!!!!
paul6

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2017 10:23    Post subject: Reply with quote

DaveWall wrote:
There are quite a few pics of similar breaks on here, quite easy to weld/fabricate a stronger bracket....    Perhaps someone nearer can give you advice on a good place, but any garage that does welding should be able to do it, as it's far easier than normal car bodywork to weld!!!!

Thanks DaveWall, i think the problem is finding the right garage, but i am determined so i'll keep you posted. Will they need the axle off? Looking at where it is broken and the access i think it will not need removing i suppose it will it be down to the decision of the garage.

Thanks again Paul
DaveWall

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2017 11:06    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes - a good garage is worlds apart from a bad one, and the clean tidy ones aren't always the best!

Should be able to clean up and weld in situ, especially if the truck is up on a good set of ramps...
paul6

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2017 11:20    Post subject: Reply with quote

DaveWall wrote:
Yes - a good garage is worlds apart from a bad one, and the clean tidy ones aren't always the best!

Should be able to clean up and weld in situ, especially if the truck is up on a good set of ramps...

Thanks again DaveWall,

I suppose it will be alright to drive to the garage?

I have gingerly driven it round the block and it drives fine, no instability and you only know its broken when you go over a speed bump, i suppose it's the separation of the metal and the anti roll bar knocking on the underneath of the body.

I have sent a few emails to local garages and will ring them tomorrow but just realised it's a bank holiday so a lot of them are probably shut so Tuesday is more like the day i will have to go.

Thanks again
Paul
paul6

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2017 11:55    Post subject: Reply with quote

DaveWall,

Put a few enquiries out there local to me via the Web.

Just had a call back from one of the garages, amazing on a Sunday as well and he has asked me to go round his place first thing Tuesday 7.30am, and he'll take a look, as you said he doesn't seem put off and has already suggested that all will be achievable, fingers crossed.

I'll keep you posted

Paul
DaveWall

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2017 14:18    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I think as far as welding is concerned it a much nicer job than say the sill on an old ford which disappears as you weld it!!

Should be safe enough to drive to the garage, just be very aware and drive stead/defensively/accordingly.

Let them tell you a price first, but maybe consider asking them to plate the other side too, if one has corroded would be worth checking.
paul6

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2017 11:32    Post subject: Reply with quote

DaveWall wrote:
Yeah, I think as far as welding is concerned it a much nicer job than say the sill on an old ford which disappears as you weld it!!

Should be safe enough to drive to the garage, just be very aware and drive stead/defensively/accordingly.

Let them tell you a price first, but maybe consider asking them to plate the other side too, if one has corroded would be worth checking.

Yes, i was going to suggest that he looked at the other side as well and fabricate a plate even though it may look OK, after all it has had the same exposure to the elements as the one broken.

I'll let you know how i get on

Paul
paul6

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2017 13:51    Post subject: Reply with quote

Took the Colorado this morning for a welder fabricator of old cars to see and give me an estimate. The welder Bob has had a good look at the damage/corrosion/breakage, he feels there is no good metal left in the bracket at all to weld together he felt though that the axle to weld too will be OK, i must agree with Bob, there is little to no good metal left in the corroded bracket and only a new bracket will need attaching to the axle, he felt the other side was as bad, but holding out but it's life expectancy would be short. I feel i have 4 choices.

The 4 choices i have are these;

I source some new brackets and get them re welded to the axle, are these brackets available?

I source a 2nd hand replacement rear axle that can be swapped like for like, where would be the best place to go?

I source a new axle and fit, obviously very, very expensive or is it?

I sell the vehicle as a scraper for spares or repair, it drove so nicely this morning on the way to see the welder as smooth as silk i am so reluctant to take this path, it still has MOT on it, 4 months and other parts such as tyres and batteries and others are less than 1 year old, What is it worth as a scraper to someone?

The welder i took it too was a smashing individual, runs his own family run business in a little back street outfit, was around sixty years old, who knew his stuff, he showed me two cars in the workshop that he had welded and put right and pictures in a portfolio of dozens and dozens of cars he had restored/put right, he felt that anything could be repaired but at the end of the day would the estimate i give be worth it, i suggested £500 he felt more, perhaps more than the vehicle is worth, he would need the axle out so he could look at it a little more closely he did say that if the corrosion hadn't have been as so extensive he could have done something with it. Oh well.

I am going to get a second opinion today or tomorrow for obvious reasons, fingers crossed.

Any further input chaps

Thanks
Paul
paul6

PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2017 21:05    Post subject: Reply with quote

DaveWall wrote:

Just thought i would let you know where i am now with the broken diff hanger, one garage wouldn't touch it, they explained it was straight forward to do but did i have enough value in the car to justify fixing it, when i got to the bare bones he felt £500 might not be enough and as he said considering the car is 20 years old almost could i get another without any problems.
I eventually got the repair done, the garage that did it was a small outfit in the corner of a large industrial estate here in Stafford, he said he needed the car for a day maybe 1.5 days, on the second day he gave me a ring, job was done please come and collect..............It cost me £150 which i thought was cheap but he insisted that all his bases were covered and he did feel he was charging me too much.
It now drives quietly but above all safely.
I contemplated selling the car, as it was, with the busted hanger with 4 months MOT, it did reach a tad under £1500, but i withdrew it from the auction to get the repair done. I am so glad i did.
The garage i have found is happy to continue doing any further work that needs doing and they have said that my car is very clean underneath considering it's age.
Lesson learnt.............nothing is broke beyond repair...........you just haven't found the right repair method.

Thanks
Paul
DaveWall

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 5:18    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well done - £500 to do that is ridiculious to be fair...

If you dont mind what the bracket looks like, you could fabricate an entire new bracket from some plate or C channel within a couple of hours I recon!

£150 is probably more like it!
james donohoe

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 15:50    Post subject: Reply with quote

paul6

hi

Have you solved your back axle hanger problem

cheers

jimD
View user's profile Send personal message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
paul6

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 21:43    Post subject: Reply with quote

james donohoe wrote:
paul6

hi

Have you solved your back axle hanger problem

cheers

jimD

Yes James all done, £150.
hyb0066

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 11:49    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have just had exactly the same problem on my 1997 Prado.  I managed to get hold of some 3mm plate from a mate who works in a shipyard and fashioned a good bracket, squared off old snapped bracket so I could weld to it and cleaned it all up.  My mig welder was good enough to tack weld the bracket on but I was not satisfied at the penetration so I took it along to a local car welder repairer slowly to see if he could do the rest of the job.  He got under the car, shouted his mate to drag a welder out and finished it all off in 5mins, charged me a tenner!!  I was made up and am now taking it back to him to get it waxy oiled next week as although it is 20years old I love this vehicle.
pilotwilson

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2017 16:31    Post subject: poly or rubber? Reply with quote

my rear axle has succumb to a snapped turret problem also. having patched it up two days prior to a trip across France back in August. I  knew i'd have to sort it properly in the near future. the patch has now given way and i know what i must do. as the front oil seal on the diff is also leaking (been keeping a check on this too) i'm going to spend the time to take the axle off and do what i need to 'on the bench' (far easier).
as i will be going to this much trouble, i've decided to replace all the bushes while at it. what's the general feeling here regarding poly replacements? also, where would anyone recommend buying them? thanks in advance Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> 90 Series / Prado / Colorado Technical Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: