4x4 Mart magazine discount

The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club
Landcruiser Club - Dedicated to Toyota Landcruiser, Amazon, Colorado and Prado Owners

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
TLOCUK HomeTLOCUK Home   TLOCUK ForumsTLOCUK Forums  TLOCUK FaceBook GroupTLOCUK FaceBook Group
Click here to link to the South African LandCruiser Owners Club websiteLCCSA  Click here to link to the Australian LandCruiser Owners OnLine website - possibly the longest established Land Cruiser club on the net!LCOOL  Click here to link to the IH8MUD website - run by extremely enthusiastic Land Cruiser owners, with a fantastic source of DIY information and useful forum!IH8MUD  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

200 series V Rangerover v8 diesel

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> 200 Series Technical Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pje92

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2010 22:44    Post subject: 200 series V Rangerover v8 diesel Reply with quote

Anyone tried one or the other or especially both?

Had a go in a mate's V8 Rangey '59 plate at the weekend, what a pile of "s--t", rolls all over, no sound proofing against road roll noise and the engine feels like a Montego diesel compared to the Mighty Cruiser!
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2010 22:44    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

pje92

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2010 22:49    Post subject: Reply with quote

Forgot  to say We have had a 200 series for a year now and having had an old Amazon for 6 years, are understably rather impressed.
AJS4X4

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2010 7:54    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would chose a 200 because the V8 R/R is going to let you down at same stage.

Wish I could warrant having one.

One thing I have not seen is a 200 all preped up for overland travel, saw the race version out in Hungrey and Romainia in 2008 at the Central Europe Rally, very quick I thought.
NotASpeckOfCereal

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2010 7:46    Post subject: Reply with quote

pje92 wrote:
Forgot  to say We have had a 200 series for a year now and having had an old Amazon for 6 years, are understably rather impressed.

Come on then - spill the beans.  What do you see as the differences?  Someone else has described them as "chalk and cheese" - they can't be that different surely?
AJS4X4

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2010 8:57    Post subject: Reply with quote

One thing for sure is you will not miss it in a car park, it stands out a lot more than the common or garden R/Rover.  Very Happy

Better built and if it's good enough for the Taliban, it's good enough for me.  Very Happy

Andy.
NotASpeckOfCereal

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2010 15:07    Post subject: Reply with quote

AJS4X4 wrote:
One thing for sure is you will not miss it in a car park, it stands out a lot more than the common or garden R/Rover.  Very Happy

Better built and if it's good enough for the Taliban, it's good enough for me.  Very Happy

Andy.

I meant the differences between the 100 and 200 series.
AJS4X4

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2010 15:36    Post subject: Reply with quote

Taliban are getting better at wiring these days but even the electronics on a 200 would tax their brains, I think the 100 is a great vehicle, I have had three, maybe there are toooooooooooooooooooooooo many electronics in a 200.

I would love to have a 100 with all the toys and bells on, they are getting hard to find in good condition and if you do will cost lots of pennies.

As yet I have not seen a 200 with all the toys on, would love to see what can be done.

Andy.
NotASpeckOfCereal

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2010 8:09    Post subject: Reply with quote

AJS4X4 wrote:
Taliban are getting better at wiring these days but even the electronics on a 200 would tax their brains, I think the 100 is a great vehicle, I have had three, maybe there are toooooooooooooooooooooooo many electronics in a 200.

I would love to have a 100 with all the toys and bells on, they are getting hard to find in good condition and if you do will cost lots of pennies.

As yet I have not seen a 200 with all the toys on, would love to see what can be done.

Andy.

ha ha ha .   I think it was PJE I was asking the question of as he said he'd had 100s and now had a 200.  I'm on my second 100, and as it's another company car I'm getting next I'm considering a 200.
pje92

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2010 23:07    Post subject: 100 V 200 Reply with quote

Chalk and cheese it really is as regards performance and refinement. I dont think reliability or durability is an issue as the 100 series we had did 365,000 miles from new with only an alternator, front drive shaft and a shit load of brake pads!
Performance from the new V8 is to say the least stunning and the new 6spd  box is seamless with the changes.
What got me though was the size of the new one parked next to our Amazon, F-huge compared to an already impressive looking car.
Buy one, wind the windows down, kill the stereo and floor It, listen to the V8 screaming

Thats the difference
martinc

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 20:08    Post subject: r/rover v v8 landcruiser Reply with quote

hi guy's i'm new to the forum!!! and new to the landcruiser!!! i've had 5 range rovers over the years,, the last i only had for 6 months, it was only a year old when i bought it and paid a s~~t load of money for it!!!!!!!!,, and had nothing but problems, dont want to bore all you lads with my first post on all the problems i had with the rangey but it was enough for me to change to toyota after only 6 months ownership of a supposedly top of the range 4x4, one of the main reasons i chose toyota is the unbelievable reports i kept reading of it's reliability, also i have done a lot of work out in the ukraine oil fields over the years and those guy's out there are running 100 series landcruisers with a five hundred thousand kilometer on the clock!!!!!!!!!!, and when i spoke to the guy who is in charge of running the vehicle maintanence depo he told me apart from normal wear and tear, i.e, clutches,tyres and exhausts nothing ever goe's wrong with them which is quite amazing considering in winter temp's can drop as low as -15/20 and in summer the temps can be upwards of 35/40 degree,
so here i am driving a 59 plate fully loaded with every concievable extra and so far so good,, mart
AJS4X4

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 15:41    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I have been and done it, Amazon went yesterday and the new V8 arrives mid Jan.
rangrov

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 19:41    Post subject: THUMBS DOWN TO RR Reply with quote

Hi guys i could write a book about range rovers, from the early ones i owned I.E up to 1990 the 3.9 with the new mods viscous couplings etc, all were great in my opinion, but then disaster, i had a break for a few years and bought a 97 model ran it for 6 months and thought not bad so i blew my brains out with a lid edition 2000 model every extra but every problem, i used to get up in the morning and find the suspension had collapsed on one side quite a few times, the agent had it more than me, had a break again till a friend of mine said the 3.6 diesel range rover sport is so good, so i bought a 2007 model it let me down twice with sensor problems then it got stuck in some mud, i struggled and abused the car a little to free it, but after the event noises appeared, it turned out the front diff, gearbox, and rear diff all needed replacing total cost £15000.00 this is were i traded it in for a new 2010 diesel LC4 wot a fantastic car its been, 50,000 miles and never missed a beat, i have now just treated myself to a new land cruiser V8 so a new adventure begins, lets hope its as good as my last LC4, would i have another range rover. NOT A FRICKIN CHANCE. Very Happy
Paul Eastern Europe

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 23:43    Post subject: Reply with quote

I happen to have a 2011 LC200 4.5TDV8 with 25,000 miles and a 2007 RR 3.6TV8 with 113,000 miles. My experience follows:

1. LC200 has 3 rows of seats vs 2 rows in the RR.

2. The LC200 6 speed AB60F gearbox is much smother and completely silent compared to the ZF 6HP26 in the RR with snatches on deacceleration and you can hear engine speed related whines from the front of the gearbox probably from worn bushes.

3. The ZF box has a really annoying feature, when you use manual mode to select a higher gear, like the AB60F it will change down when it has to, but then it wrongly thinks you manually selected the lower gear, say 3rd and sticks in 3rd until you notice the revs stupidly too high. Really really annoying.

4. The LC200 AB60F is reluctant to lock up the torque converter or use the highest gears. There is an unofficial fix for this that I will get installed. Meanwhile the ZF6HP26 locks up almost all the time and I get 25mpg from the RR with 30mpg on a run. The 2011 LC200 is about 4 mpg worse. I am told the 2012 and later LC200 is about 2mpg better.

5. Absolutely nothing went wrong with the LC200. I don't even own a OBDII reader for it.

6. The RR has been a lot of trouble and my experience with RR main dealers and independents has been terrible. I had to buy an expensive HAWKEYE diagnostic tool to find the issues myself. Over the last 5,000 miles the RR split its rubber hoses from the intercooler and the engine went into limp mode. This I now know is a well known problem, yet the dealer misdiagnosed this as bad variable vanes on the Turbo chargers and greased them at huge expanse to no good effect. I fitted silicon hoses for £80 and solved that problem.

7. Some times the ignition key will not turn. Currently working.

8. The starter motor became more and more unreliable and it is a special RR Denso starter with no available parts. It just needed new solenoid contacts that should cost about £10, but I had to buy an new Denso starter for £250. Note the Genuine RR part is about £500.

9. I also had the dreaded "Three amigos" This is where you get the messages: "HDC (hill descent control) not available". "Suspension lowering", "ABS disabled" This happened after the main dealer replaced the front brake hoses on a recall (which by the way took them 3 days!) They denied all responsibility and threatened me with a £200 charge for reading the ODBII diagnostics if the fault was not caused by them. I assumed they would always deny it was their fault so I did not send it in. It took months for me to find the real problem. The steering angle sensor was miss-calibrated so that it read 15 degrees at straight ahead. Almost certainly caused by the main dealer disconnecting the battery and reconnecting it when the wheels where at a 15 degree angle.

10. The ZF6HP26 hunts. This means that at moderate speeds the rev counter oscillates by about 100 rpm every two seconds or so. This is bad news it will wear out the Torque Converter clutch rather rapidly and contaminate the gearbox with clutch debris probably causing further faults. This was fixed by a fluid and filter change and adding two sachets of "Dr Tranny Fixx" Of course the gearbox will have to be rebullt quite soon.

11. The RR reversing camera is very poor and useless at night. The LC200 reversing camera is excellent. I am told later RR have a slightly improved camera cf the 2007.

12. The RR has a smell of a small engine water leak. This might be the hoses or the thermostat housing. Expensive parts and hard work to change.

13. The HAWKEYE tells me that the engine/air con electric cooling fan is both open circuit and short circuit. This is a £500 part with of course, being a RR no individual spare parts available - you have to buy the whole assembly.

14. The RR has a fuel based heater. This takes diesel fuel and heats the water to heat the cabin. This is a good idea but it's broken.

15. Despite all the above, to my surprise, the RR is quite nice to drive. In fact on the road I would say it drives better (significantly better acceleration, more precise steering and excellent BREMBO brakes) than the LC200. It is also slightly smaller. The LC200 brakes are also excellent but when you press them hard the brake assist function jams them on very hard scaring your passengers and annoying the driver.

16. I should also state that I have 25 year old 1993 LC80 owned from new with 218,000 miles and it is far more dependable than the 10 year old RR 3.6TD.

17. Finally, the RR engine is made by FORD. They have issues with Turbo charger failure that can wreck the entire engine. Each of the two turbos cost £1000 and the body must be raised or the engine removed to replace them. They also have issues with EGR cooler valves failing. This is a £900 job.

Of course your mileage will vary. I'm sure there must be many very happy RR owners who never had a spot of bother. The problem with the internet is that only those who did experience problems complain, but forums are full of unhappy LR owners complaining about the product and about the dealers complete inability to fix them. I think you can blame the factory for that. If the software and the diagnostics was better a huge amount of time, money, inconvenience and worry could be saved. A change in the spare parts policy would be a good idea too. Making the dealers rich at the expense of customers is a win lose deal. The factory and the dealers should win by producing good cars, by supporting them properly and selling more cars. A win for the factory, the dealers and the customers.

End of rant.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> 200 Series Technical Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: