Milner Off-Road

The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club
Landcruiser Club - Dedicated to Toyota Landcruiser, Amazon, Colorado and Prado Owners

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
TLOCUK HomeTLOCUK Home   TLOCUK ForumsTLOCUK Forums  TLOCUK FaceBook GroupTLOCUK FaceBook Group
Click here to link to the South African LandCruiser Owners Club websiteLCCSA  Click here to link to the Australian LandCruiser Owners OnLine website - possibly the longest established Land Cruiser club on the net!LCOOL  Click here to link to the IH8MUD website - run by extremely enthusiastic Land Cruiser owners, with a fantastic source of DIY information and useful forum!IH8MUD  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

AC compressor bearing

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> 90 Series / Prado / Colorado Technical Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Aeroelastic

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 8:10    Post subject: AC compressor bearing Reply with quote

Hi all,

My AC compressor bearing pulley is shot and making noise. I am thinking of changing the pulley, does anyone has the size of the bearing? I won’t find out until I take the existing bearing off. But wanted to get the part ready first before stripping. Thanks.
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 8:10    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

modvrs

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 10:15    Post subject: Reply with quote

No guarantee that yours is the same, but the replacement pulley I bought for my 1997 3.4 petrol model last year came with a NASHI 30BGS10DST 30x52x22mm double row rubber-sealed ball bearing.

You need a good quality pair of angled circlip pliers and a mirror to get the pulley off if you're doing it in situ - much swearing involved when I did it! The bearing is staked in so you need to grind them off and use some bearing glue on refitting. Also worth noting that the first circlio you remove is bevelled and only goes back on one way - I found out the hard way. Good luck. I bought the whole OEM pulley from Amayama and it cost £160 'ish. I've since replaced just the bearing on my sister's Suzuki Swift for £25 from a local bearing shop and would not hesitate to go that route again and save the cash.

I have pictures, but seems difficult to post them now since Photobucket started charging - anybody know the best way to do it now?
modvrs

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 14:19    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bah, typos. NACHI for the manufacturer and circlip not circlio of course. Just looked at the original bearing and it is the same make and number although it has a 2 on the end (think it just means two rubber seals, which they both have)
Aeroelastic

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 19:33    Post subject: Reply with quote

modvrs wrote:
No guarantee that yours is the same, but the replacement pulley I bought for my 1997 3.4 petrol model last year came with a NASHI 30BGS10DST 30x52x22mm double row rubber-sealed ball bearing.

You need a good quality pair of angled circlip pliers and a mirror to get the pulley off if you're doing it in situ - much swearing involved when I did it! The bearing is staked in so you need to grind them off and use some bearing glue on refitting. Also worth noting that the first circlio you remove is bevelled and only goes back on one way - I found out the hard way. Good luck. I bought the whole OEM pulley from Amayama and it cost £160 'ish. I've since replaced just the bearing on my sister's Suzuki Swift for £25 from a local bearing shop and would not hesitate to go that route again and save the cash.

I have pictures, but seems difficult to post them now since Photobucket started charging - anybody know the best way to do it now?

Thanks for the details explanation and very helpful tips. I have replaced Toyota lexus front wheel bearing before and has the bearing puller kit which should help. Sorry don’t quite get the bit about the glue?
modvrs

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 20:51    Post subject: Reply with quote

This picture may be massive! Experimenting with a picture host.

Sorry for the confusion, if you de-stake the old bearing and press a new one in unless you can bash some new stakes in with a hammer you will be relying on friction alone to hold the bearing in. This may well be sufficient but I decided to use a sort of "Loctite" for bearings recommended by the bearing shop.

modvrs

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 21:12    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hooefully a not too large image of the back of the pulley

modvrs

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 21:16    Post subject: Reply with quote

On a roll now!

New pulley on the car. Note that the circlip (snap ring for our American viewers) is on backwards here and has not seated properly in its groove.

modvrs

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 21:18    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, last one. The circlip. I used the old one in the end as it was fine and seemed better made than the replacement

modvrs

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 21:25    Post subject: Reply with quote

One final thought for the night. It might be worth checking the idler pulley bearing which is also on the A/C belt loop unless you've definitely identified the compressor pulley bearing as the noisy one.
Aeroelastic

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 1:40    Post subject: Reply with quote

modvrs wrote:
One final thought for the night. It might be worth checking the idler pulley bearing which is also on the A/C belt loop unless you've definitely identified the compressor pulley bearing as the noisy one.

Hi thanks again for time and pictures, really appreciate this. I just bought this truck and the previous owner said the compressor bearing is shot, hence I try to replace. He took the belt off and turning the pulley by hand does sound rough.

My compressor looks exactly like the one linked below: seems to have different clutch assembly compare to yours, not sure if the bearing size will be exactly the same?

https://m.e bay.co.uk/itm/Toyota-landcruiser-colorado-AC-AIRCON-PUMP-compressor-447200-4555/292433284000?hash=item441661cba0:g:aAIAAOSw4A5Ypved
modvrs

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 12:45    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh yes, V-belt - I thought they went out with the Ark! Probably best to whip it off and read the numbers. Don't believe anything you find on the internet; I found three references for the Suzuki bearing and the guy in the bearing shop said it was unusual and would have to be ordered overnight; he pulled one off the shelf next to the counter and said they usually sell lots of these for A/C pulleys. Of course, the one I ordered was wrong and the one he sold lots of was exactly right.

Yours may be easier to get at too as well, mine was buried right at the bottom of the engine bay.
Aeroelastic

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2018 20:59    Post subject: Reply with quote

modvrs wrote:
Oh yes, V-belt - I thought they went out with the Ark! Probably best to whip it off and read the numbers. Don't believe anything you find on the internet; I found three references for the Suzuki bearing and the guy in the bearing shop said it was unusual and would have to be ordered overnight; he pulled one off the shelf next to the counter and said they usually sell lots of these for A/C pulleys. Of course, the one I ordered was wrong and the one he sold lots of was exactly right.

Yours may be easier to get at too as well, mine was buried right at the bottom of the engine bay.

Thanks, mine is right on top of the engine so will be easier to get to. Will strip thing when the weather is better...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> 90 Series / Prado / Colorado Technical Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: