Adrian Flux : 0800 916 1257

The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club
Landcruiser Club - Dedicated to Toyota Landcruiser, Amazon, Colorado and Prado Owners

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
TLOCUK HomeTLOCUK Home   TLOCUK ForumsTLOCUK Forums  TLOCUK FaceBook GroupTLOCUK FaceBook Group
Click here to link to the South African LandCruiser Owners Club websiteLCCSA  Click here to link to the Australian LandCruiser Owners OnLine website - possibly the longest established Land Cruiser club on the net!LCOOL  Click here to link to the IH8MUD website - run by extremely enthusiastic Land Cruiser owners, with a fantastic source of DIY information and useful forum!IH8MUD  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

Heart says disco 3 but head says lc120....tell me I'm right

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> 120 Series / Prado Technical Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jackrs1

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2018 15:36    Post subject: Heart says disco 3 but head says lc120....tell me I'm right Reply with quote

So I'm looking to buy a 7 seat 4x4 family car, I was looking at the disco 3 as I know how well the drive on and off road, but the difference between the disco 3 forum and this is laughable! The disco forum is post after post about how to fix things, how much they cost to repair and maintain, tis is the opposite. So now I'm looking for a 2005-2006 LC4 for the extra power but lower tax. My main question  is how does it drive on the motorway? is it quiet and smooth?
I would be upgrading the stereo for  a touchscreen/dab/blue tooth situation and want some decent AT tires for greenlaning as I live in the lake district.
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2018 15:36    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

Les63

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2018 21:10    Post subject: Disco or LC Reply with quote

Go with your heart and you will most probably get it broken ,go with your head and it will be the start of a long love affair .I was thinking the same way
luckily I went for the LC and just love it.Eats up motorway miles effortlessly weather towing or solo the most comfortable car I've ever had or driven.All cars 10 years plus will need the odd clout with a spanner but Toyota's need it much less than the rest.Try to find one that's lived in the bottom half of the country or had a good anti rust treatment as the vast majority were sold in those lovely places in the world where they don't use road salt.Lots of threads with good advice on this forum, patience in your search will pay off in the end.

Good luck Les.
jackrs1

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2018 22:42    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers Les, I have a few weeks before the money comes available so hope to look at a few before settling on one. One thing I can't seem to find is the boot capacity of these? Does anyone happen  to know? also does the second row of seats fold away flat?
The annoying difference between these and a disco is there are lots more discos available second hand! I may have to travel far to find my ideal vehicle!
Juddian

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 11:32    Post subject: Reply with quote

You may have to travel far, and i suggest you be prepared to travel quickly (good ones get snapped up fast) and preferably south (excess salt used in the north and Scotland) when you see the right one advertised.
I bought mine 80 odd miles from home the same morning the vehicle went online.
Remember the first place you look when viewing is underneath, these can rust if excess salt is left on, so might be worth getting some pics of the underside or asking anyone you know near a distant vehicle to have a poke nose before you travel vast distances, trust me i've looked at enough and travelled many wasted miles searching out the right vehicle.

On the motorway these are nice drives, but you'll have to balance road noise with the amount of off road tread you want, mine is now on Yokohama G015 (snowflake marked) AT's and they are lovely on the open road, but might not be aggressive enough for you.

Everyone seems to want the LC4 and avoiding the LC5 due to rear air suspension, but the ride and handling and sure footed wet grip that the LC5 has is well worth the possible extra expense.
Yes they roll a bit in corners but you don't find many vehicles pushing you on corners, especially in wet weather.
The brakes are unbelievable, i put Brembo friction materials on mine and it stops seriously quickly.

Anyone who travels in my LC5 thinks we're doing about 60 mph when we're doing a displayed 75/80 so a real life 70/75, they are all surpised at just how quiet and smooth the vehicle is, the auto gearbox is a gem, the car is a joy to drive.

The irony of Disco 3's is that i carried hundreds of the things down to Felixstowe for export (China), and many of these were of a spec you rarely if ever see in the UK and would have made a superb vehicle, naturally aspirated V8 petrol  (easy LPG conversion which the engine takes to like a duck to water) with standard auto box sitting on lovely soft rated steel springs all round with sensible 16" wheels and high profile sensible tyres, i bet these versions proved trouble free without all the rubbish electronics UK versions were loaded with.
Captain Slog

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 9:02    Post subject: Reply with quote

jackrs1 wrote:
Cheers Les, I have a few weeks before the money comes available so hope to look at a few before settling on one. One thing I can't seem to find is the boot capacity of these? Does anyone happen  to know? also does the second row of seats fold away flat?
The annoying difference between these and a disco is there are lots more discos available second hand! I may have to travel far to find my ideal vehicle!

Just tagging along here as I am also looking for a Landcruiser in the same sort of age/price range. I have previously owned a Discovery but mine was a 4 series - when they are working properly they are wonderful of course but I am not even considering going back to one.

Why? Too much electronic wizardry to malfunction -  I used to have to trickle-charge mine weekly as it got only occasional use and was very temperamental if the voltage dropped even slightly also too many design flaws - some engine servicing (?cambelt?) requires body off! If the flimsy electro-mechanical cable release for the boot breaks it can only be a accessed/opened/repaired from inside the car - really great if it's full of dogs/luggage/kids and you're on holiday! Anyway if you've been on the Disco forums you're probably aware of all this!

I'm off to look at a couple of LCs in the next couple of days but I think I'll keep the locations to myself at the moment!  Wink
jackrs1

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 10:40    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have found a few but waiting for the money to come in which is frustrating! If you come across any that are not worth looking at then let me know!! Still getting tempted by a disco 3 but the more i read the more i like the LC120
boxa55

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 21:14    Post subject: Reply with quote

patience young Padawan take your time and wait for a good 120 believe me you won't look back
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> 120 Series / Prado Technical Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: