2Gether FS : 01945 585322

The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club
Landcruiser Club - Dedicated to Toyota Landcruiser, Amazon, Colorado and Prado Owners

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
TLOCUK HomeTLOCUK Home   TLOCUK ForumsTLOCUK Forums  TLOCUK FaceBook GroupTLOCUK FaceBook Group
Click here to link to the South African LandCruiser Owners Club websiteLCCSA  Click here to link to the Australian LandCruiser Owners OnLine website - possibly the longest established Land Cruiser club on the net!LCOOL  Click here to link to the IH8MUD website - run by extremely enthusiastic Land Cruiser owners, with a fantastic source of DIY information and useful forum!IH8MUD  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

Rear Diff Change

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> 90 Series / Prado / Colorado Technical Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
hartnoll833

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2018 18:47    Post subject: Rear Diff Change Reply with quote

Hi Guys,

I have an issue. I am replacing my rear diff. Need help. Hints and tips etc to do so. I have a 90 series Prado 1998. Does anyone have a step by step guide and/or a video tutorial on how to do it start to finish. I've got the diff ready to go on. Wheels are off ready to go. I have disc brakes.

Any help GREATLY appreciated.

Lee
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2018 18:47    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

diggerdave

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 17:29    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's not a job that I've done myself, so I don't have any particular tips other than (as you probably know already) your diff needs to be the same ratio as the one you're replacing.  I don't know about Prado models, but the UK market Colorados could be fitted with a 4.1:1 or a 4.3:1 diff and nobody really knows what was fitted to what.  

Good luck - at last with a Prado you won't have the hassle of trying to remove a rotten, fused lump of aluminium alloy slag seemingly welded tight to the axle case that used to function as a difflock actuator   Very Happy
hartnoll833

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 14:14    Post subject: Reply with quote

So i managed to do it, new diff is on. I took one of an old Surf 185, same ratio. Half shafts out and back in,, broke a brake cable in the process, easy job, not worries. So i had to grind off the bolts from behind the hub and 1 on one side and 2 on the other just kept spinning. ive managed to replace those. What a nightmare. I side finished and wheel back on. This took pretty much most of the day! Tonight, otherside for 2 new hub bolts ad 2 of those span, grinded them off. and hopefully not another brake cable!
diggerdave

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 11:10    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hope the rest of the job goes/went well.  How come it needed replacing - I'm just curious because the rear diffs have a pretty bomb-proof reputation?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> 90 Series / Prado / Colorado Technical Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: