NFU Mutual - click to link

The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club
Landcruiser Club - Dedicated to Toyota Landcruiser, Amazon, Colorado and Prado Owners

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
TLOCUK HomeTLOCUK Home   TLOCUK ForumsTLOCUK Forums  TLOCUK FaceBook GroupTLOCUK FaceBook Group
Click here to link to the South African LandCruiser Owners Club websiteLCCSA  Click here to link to the Australian LandCruiser Owners OnLine website - possibly the longest established Land Cruiser club on the net!LCOOL  Click here to link to the IH8MUD website - run by extremely enthusiastic Land Cruiser owners, with a fantastic source of DIY information and useful forum!IH8MUD  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

Sump guards

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> 120 Series / Prado Technical Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Juddian

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 15:38    Post subject: Sump guards Reply with quote

The only rust under my 120 is the disappointingly flimsy and corrosion prone OE sump guard, its not a patch on the strength of the one that was under my 90 series and rust holes appearing on both side wings isn't helping.
I've been looking around for a while and whilst i would have liked an ARB full set of steel undercovers, @ £366 its quite a hefty chunk of cash, though i have no doubt they are in another level of quality and strength and in no way am i comparing the two apart from in apparent value for money, for my needs.

So, i came upon this company https://www.sump-guard.co.uk/steel-sump-guard-for-toyota-land-cruiser-2002-2009
Made in Romania far as i can see, the replacement for the sump guard is a not unpleasant £157 via paypal too if your prefer, and at the moment they have a free delivery offer which is the icing on the cake.
So, yes i ordered one for the hell of it, not expecting anything wonderful to be honest, i ordered last week and it turned up at 0830 thismorning.

Right, so whats it like? well i'm pleasantly surprised, the steel is 2.7mm thick including the powder coat so its the 2.5mm steel they claim, not as hefty as the ARB unit @ 3mm, but then i'm not intending to smash the vehicle onto tree stumps or rocks, its a two part fitment with bolt on plate for oil changes, so the sump and bung will be protected from anything springing up which isn't the case currently, its stronger than i hoped for put it that way, powder coated matt black.
The short bars that appear to go over or slot into the cross members are 6mm thick.

Downside, the fitting instructions are pants, basically the same pic as in the link, but its hardly rocket science (i hope) so even a bodger like me should be able to work it out, hopefully not too much cursing to follow  Embarassed

No i haven't fitted it yet, and have no access to anywhere inside in the warm to do so and i'm too old to be lying in freezing slush   Crying or Very sad  so you'll just have to wait  Twisted Evil

The only reason i'm giving you lads a heads up on this before i fit the thing is because the free postage offer has been extended to the 20th Dec, it might just be an idea for a Christmas gift for yourselves if someone doesn't know what to get you and your own bash plate is getting a bit thin.
I'm toying with getting the next section, the gearbox cover whilst the free post offer is on, now i've seen how sturdy the main sump guard is.

Watch this space, when the weather breaks will i be singing its praises or cursing meself if it doesn't fit properly without lots of bashing or drilling out  Twisted Evil
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 15:38    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

Juddian

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2017 12:32    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, the transmission protection plate turned up half an hour ago.
https://www.sump-guard.co.uk/steel-gearbox-guard-for-toyota-land-cruiser-2002-2009

Again a well made part, heavier gauge than the engine underplate but then the main section is a bigger surface area, its about 3.6mm including the matt black powder coating, so a good 3.3mm possibly 3.4mm sheet steel, there is another plate that re-enforces the join where this part is overlapped by the sump bash plate (this extra plate not shown in the pic), its the standard 2.7mm, so 2.5mm steel, the supporting bar that runs across the middle bolted to the gearbox rear cross member at chassis is 4.3 so 4mm.

delivery good, you get a reference number for GLS the transport company's website, and i've been watching the item's reported progress from Romania via Hungary then Germany and finally the UK yesterday evening, so i guessed delivery would either be today or tomorrow, a week for both parts from order to delivered which isn't bad going, free delivery has been extended till Christmas Day.

I want to double check the transmission fluid level (did a full autobox fluid change earlier in the year when i changed the rest of the transmission oils) before i fit these plates, because the gearbox will be inaccessible once its fitted and plate removal will be the order of the day from then on for subsequent access.
easyjet

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2018 17:55    Post subject: Reply with quote

Juddian wrote:
Well, the transmission protection plate turned up half an hour ago.
https://www.sump-guard.co.uk/steel-gearbox-guard-for-toyota-land-cruiser-2002-2009

Again a well made part, heavier gauge than the engine underplate but then the main section is a bigger surface area, its about 3.6mm including the matt black powder coating, so a good 3.3mm possibly 3.4mm sheet steel, there is another plate that re-enforces the join where this part is overlapped by the sump bash plate (this extra plate not shown in the pic), its the standard 2.7mm, so 2.5mm steel, the supporting bar that runs across the middle bolted to the gearbox rear cross member at chassis is 4.3 so 4mm.

delivery good, you get a reference number for GLS the transport company's website, and i've been watching the item's reported progress from Romania via Hungary then Germany and finally the UK yesterday evening, so i guessed delivery would either be today or tomorrow, a week for both parts from order to delivered which isn't bad going, free delivery has been extended till Christmas Day.

I want to double check the transmission fluid level (did a full autobox fluid change earlier in the year when i changed the rest of the transmission oils) before i fit these plates, because the gearbox will be inaccessible once its fitted and plate removal will be the order of the day from then on for subsequent access.

Hi Juddian
How are you getting on with the sump gaurd
Tried to remove mine first time never had it off before totally rusted
had to remove with disc cutter
So let us know how your getting on
Cheers
Easyjet
Juddian

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2018 18:45    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Easyjet.
They're sitting in my garage, going to wait till the weather warms up a bit, then have the motor up on my 4 large ramps and recheck the gearbox oil level (which isn't the simplest task with the 5 speed box) and re-grease the props before fitting.
The engine drain plug is accessible via a removable small plate with the protection fitted but the gearbox will be well hidden once the gearbox plate is in place.
Anyway i'm an old codger now  Crying or Very sad  so could do without several hours underneath getting frozen stiff, that's my excuse and i'm sticking to it  Wink

I'll update the thread when i fit them.

It's annoying how flimsy and rust prone the OE sump guard is on the 120, not a patch on the solid things they bolted under the previous models.
Juddian

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 7:13    Post subject: Reply with quote

At last a coupe of warm days so finally got the underbody plates fitted.

Had to make a slight alteration to two of the fixing clamps, the work of two minutes with an angle grinder.
The instructions were rubbish, but once you laid the sections out things became obvious.
Other than that the plates went on well, are solid when all bolted through each other to the chassis, and protect a lot more than the original sump plate would, which was too flimsy to be of much use even when new.

However, this winter has seen some serious salt, the OE sump plate was covered in fresh rust, far worse than before the winter and despite pressure washing underneath with my L shaped lance last week, having driven through the long ford several times during the winter to keep the heaviest layers off, the evidence of salt coating the chassis and undersides was obvious, so i'm half way through touching up the previous rustproofing.

Suggest you chaps get under yours a bit sharpish and see what this winter has done, its not pretty, if the filth is left to bake on with rusty patches not treated this winter will have taken years off the lifespan of our Cruisers.
liongeorge

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2018 6:49    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thought I'd reserect this one as I have just fitted this guard.
I recently got rid of my trusty old 90 and have bought a cracking LC4 120, Whilst I love it I noticed it was much less protected underneath particularly the auto transmission that has some V exposed pipes, first time across the frieds I got a large stick wedged right next to one Confused. So something had to be done.
As the OP said easy to fit but with a small bit taken off bellow engine bracket.
Haven't used in anger yet but general impressions are that it will be great for the mud and light duty around the farm tracks?fields I do. I'm not so sure that it would be up for more serious rocky terrain as the brackets are not very substantial and there are alot of exposed bolts. The first to go is the cover for the engine drain hole which has two exposed bolts at the lowest point that will definately contact on the high spot between ruts. I may well modify this..
 So good value (on offer now with free P&P) for general off road use but if tackling heavy duty rocky stuff you will have to spend over twice as much.
I've got a picture but don't know how to post it....
Juddian

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 9:54    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fair comments Liongeorge, it's certainly not the underbody protection one would choose for really heavy offroading (arguably the vehicle isn't either, i'd be sourcing another unbreakable 70 series for that job), but for general purpose normal protection they aint bad and better than the original.

I changed the oil again last week, the small removable plate is in exactly the right spot, oil drained without splashing inside the sump guard, and the small bore drain pipe from the oil filter draining dish the same, no mess.

Yes those two bolts holding the oil drain plate on i might change, goods idea, i'll look out for some dome headed allen bolts more likely to slide over if encountering something solid, and that could well be the answer for other protruding bolts too, particularly where the engine and transmission plates bolt together into the chassis.

Having the sump and drain plug protected now, as was not the case with the rather poor effort OE bash plate, does give a feeling of confidence now.
Gazguzzler999

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2018 20:40    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well Ive just ordered one, I do some greenlaning so I may see if I can run some strengthening 1" box section inside before I fit it. £145 delivered - excellent price with Black Friday discount
Juddian

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2018 21:11    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well played Gasguzzler, a bargain indeed.

The basic design is sound and protects a lot more than the OE tin foil jobbie, strengthened up will be a good un.

As discussed earlier i sourced various stainless dome headed Allen bolts, and now much less chance of snagging on anything solid
Gazguzzler999

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2018 17:34    Post subject: Reply with quote

A week later and they have turned up from Romania, and I'm very pleased for the money. I did take some pics but I cant see how to post them without having some hosting site.

But basically they are decently made and given the additional strengthening by adding shapes and bends I dont think initially I am going to strengthen them any further, I'll see how I feel after fitting them (hopefully next week)

Phil
Gazguzzler999

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2018 18:27    Post subject: Reply with quote

I fitted the guards this morning and I'm very impressed. Many of the original Toyota fittings sheared or had to heated to remove them, but luckily the new guards bolt in to crossmembers using there own fixings (supplied) so it doesn't matter that the original bolts shear. The only 2 bolts I had to pick up on was the front crossmember. I had to drill these out and retap them to 10mm, but I could have easily just used a long bolt and nut.

The guards are well made and powder coated and the taped holes have all been cleaned out prior to shipping (nice detail). I presume the kit is a copy of another manufacturer, as they are so many small details in the fitting which makes it easier. I hope I'm not doing the manufacturer a disservice by saying this.

It took me about 2.5hrs to remove the originals and fit these using a pretty well stocked garage.

So finally, I would recommend them and for £145 (Black Friday) I dont know how they do it!

Phil

PS I have nothing to do with company etc.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> 120 Series / Prado Technical Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: