All Wheel Drive Club

The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club
Landcruiser Club - Dedicated to Toyota Landcruiser, Amazon, Colorado and Prado Owners

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
TLOCUK HomeTLOCUK Home   TLOCUK ForumsTLOCUK Forums  TLOCUK FaceBook GroupTLOCUK FaceBook Group
Click here to link to the South African LandCruiser Owners Club websiteLCCSA  Click here to link to the Australian LandCruiser Owners OnLine website - possibly the longest established Land Cruiser club on the net!LCOOL  Click here to link to the IH8MUD website - run by extremely enthusiastic Land Cruiser owners, with a fantastic source of DIY information and useful forum!IH8MUD  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

Ignition barrel replacement

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> 100 Series / Amazon Technical Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Canex

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2012 15:11    Post subject: Ignition barrel replacement Reply with quote

Just a quick note in case anyone has the misfortune to need to replace their ignition barrel.
It's actually very easy - if you have the key & it will turn to the accessory position.
There is  a small 'button' on the top of the barrel you can get to by removing the trim just below the speedo clocks -press it in with a small screwdriver when the key is vertical -you can feel it go down - and it just pulls out! About £66 from the main dealer & if you give them the chassis number it comes to fit your existing key - so no lock or key change Smile

as you can see the button has been 'removed' in the photo - where the red rings are.
I hope it helps someone in the future - I thought I was going to have to drill it out or break the steering lock off!

cheers
Chris
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2012 15:11    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

fireman 263

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 19:04    Post subject: Ignition Barrel Reply with quote

Hi, Thank you for your help and the pics. The guy at toyota could not tell me if it would fit so I took the gamble,I could not see why it wouldn't after all the electronics are on the outside front of the barrel but I wasn't sure. Thanks again. Mike Very Happy
mike the pipe

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2012 20:13    Post subject: Reply with quote

What a star. Thanks for that. Im interested as to why you had to replace it any way, ie in what way did it malfunction?
fireman 263

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2012 15:40    Post subject: steering lock/ignition Reply with quote

Hi, I bought the LC off a very good friend who is also an excellent fitter, he ownes a largish haulage business and had owned the LC for 13yrs. He told me that he had some trouble with the steering lock and that it may need attention in the near future. Six months later and the key would not turn in the lock. I stripped it down removed a couple of toggles and got it working but obviously had to fit a new one.
My LC has got the sensors attached to the lock that are programmed to the keys and when I went to order the part it was £280 + programming. The parts guy showed me the parts screen and explained there was another lock that was fitted to models without the sensor so was a bare mechanical lock (same as in your photo) at £41 +vat. But could not promise it would fit.
 I obviously went for the cheaper option thinking that at the very worst i will fit the sensor with the help of a little epoxy.

When I compared the two locks there was a difference in as much as the new locks front plate was a larger diameter and the plate from my old lock with the built in sensor would not fit. There are two rivetts holding the front plate on the mechanical one which are easily drilled out and the surrounding plate can be removed and the one with the sensor fitted after drilling two holes to match the rivett holes on the new lock. About half an hour to complete with the locks out and £200+ saving.
When you order the part take along your V5 and your driving licence or Toyota will not order one. The lock is made to your original key.using your VIN Number so if you have for any reason had to change your original lock and key you may have problems. Thanks for your input. Mike
fireman 263

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 22:19    Post subject: Ignition lock Reply with quote

Just to say my LC is a Colarado. Cheers. Mike
Canex

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 15:45    Post subject: Reply with quote

I replaced mine as my wife managed to remove the key without completely turning the ignition off  Sad
She has done a lot of miles (the car not the wife  Shocked ) and I find people don't manage to grasp the having to push key in before twisting to remove.
I bought the car from a farmer who was quite heavy handed by the state of the keys so I assume the keys had been in & out several hundred times during the 10 years of her life.

cheers
Chris
mike the pipe

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 18:04    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Canex . Does your steering motor work ie the in out/up down thing. Mines packed up.Mike.
Canex

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2012 17:10    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Mike,
my up/down one does - I've left that one working for getting in & out. I think you can have them turned off at the main agents via computer.
The in/out one does if I help it. They are a very strange motor which are something like £100 each so not really worth replacing unless you have memory seats with two drivers of different sizes!
part numbers are:
STEERING WHEEL MOTORS -
TELESCOPIC
89232-60022
TILT
89231-60022
If you manage to find any cheap ones I would be up for replacing mine  Very Happy

cheers
Chris
Lotchy1000

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2018 12:50    Post subject: Ignition barrel replacement Reply with quote

I have the same problem, except mine has some kind of electrically controlled button in the same place. My key will turn in the barrel unresisted and will not engage ignition, in fact it does nothing at all. The button also does nothing and so remains locked into the barrel. Any clues as to what i can try next?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> 100 Series / Amazon Technical Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: