4x4 & MPV Driver - 40% subscription discount

The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club
Landcruiser Club - Dedicated to Toyota Landcruiser, Amazon, Colorado and Prado Owners

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
TLOCUK HomeTLOCUK Home   TLOCUK ForumsTLOCUK Forums  TLOCUK FaceBook GroupTLOCUK FaceBook Group
Click here to link to the South African LandCruiser Owners Club websiteLCCSA  Click here to link to the Australian LandCruiser Owners OnLine website - possibly the longest established Land Cruiser club on the net!LCOOL  Click here to link to the IH8MUD website - run by extremely enthusiastic Land Cruiser owners, with a fantastic source of DIY information and useful forum!IH8MUD  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

Auto Box

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> 90 Series / Prado / Colorado Technical Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gordy8873

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 9:20    Post subject: Auto Box Reply with quote

Hi guys
 Just a quick one which iam sure has been asked before do the early TD lwb 90's suffer from the coolent in the auto box that the latter D4D's did I had a D4D a few years ago which cost me a gearbox rebuild,
Now looking for another as want to get back into green laning  after a 4 year absence but don't want the same problem again.

Thanks
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 9:20    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

diggerdave

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 18:19    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, identical set-up. I've always been scared of autos for the same reason. I'm not sure if there's any way to test for past neglect.
Edward

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2018 10:24    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you decide to go for an auto, I suggest you change the Radiator (if the original is still fitted) or fix a separate transmission oil air cooler. You should also replace the sump filter and the ATF just to be on the safe side.
gordy8873

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2018 18:09    Post subject: Reply with quote

Edward wrote:
If you decide to go for an auto, I suggest you change the Radiator (if the original is still fitted) or fix a separate transmission oil air cooler. You should also replace the sump filter and the ATF just to be on the safe side.

Yep did that with the last one cost a packet with the rebuid should have kept it,Still have decided to go for manual save any Hassall
mks

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2018 15:40    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suffered this issue on my D4D auto, you will find posts about it on here. Provided that the gearbox is flushed properly it shouldn't a problem. Suffered the problem at around 130K, now 205K and no issues. I used approx 60 litres of ATF3 to fully clean the system.
Also need to ensure the cooling system is degreased etc

BTW I think having the auto cooling in the base of the radiator has two functions
To speed up warming the ATF fluid when the car is cold
To cool ATF and maintain temp once hot

Having the ATF cooler in the base of the radiator shouldn't be an issue but I do think it could have been designed better
The weak spot is where the oil lines enter and leave the radiator, more or less a push fit with an o ring
If that had been a full copper pipe, I'm sure there never would have been a problem but I never got around to doing anything about it
I did think about getting a customer tank made for the bottom of the rad.......

Martin
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> 90 Series / Prado / Colorado Technical Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: