4x4 Mart magazine discount

The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club
Landcruiser Club - Dedicated to Toyota Landcruiser, Amazon, Colorado and Prado Owners

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
TLOCUK HomeTLOCUK Home   TLOCUK ForumsTLOCUK Forums  TLOCUK FaceBook GroupTLOCUK FaceBook Group
Click here to link to the South African LandCruiser Owners Club websiteLCCSA  Click here to link to the Australian LandCruiser Owners OnLine website - possibly the longest established Land Cruiser club on the net!LCOOL  Click here to link to the IH8MUD website - run by extremely enthusiastic Land Cruiser owners, with a fantastic source of DIY information and useful forum!IH8MUD  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

clicking Noise when driving

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> 100 Series / Amazon Technical Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Quotron

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2018 19:33    Post subject: clicking Noise when driving Reply with quote

I have a noise that sounds like when you put a stick in a spinning wheel.
Does anyone have any idea as to what it may be.  Question
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2018 19:33    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

BobMurphy
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2018 11:31    Post subject: Re: clicking Noise when driving Reply with quote

Is it at engine speed or road speed ??

I once had a bent dipstick that was being hit my the crank - I would try that (simple) fix first.

Let us have some more details of the noise - how . . when . . where and so on.

Bob.
Quotron

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2018 21:12    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Bob

Thanks for responding. My daughter was in the seat behind the driver and thought the noise was coming from beneath her. The noise is only when in motion. It is quiet when idling.
The noise is like a clicking / squeaking.
BobMurphy
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2018 22:24    Post subject: Reply with quote

Two possibilities come to mind:

1. A worn universal joint in the rear propshaft, though that would not produce a constant clicking as it would be quiet when under load and then rumble on the over-run.

2. The exhaust system touching something, but again would vary with the torque from the motor.

Have you been using the car off-road, using low ratio with rear diff lock engaged ?? Just a thought that something may not be fully disengaged.

Wheel bearing noises are notoriously difficult to trace from inside the car. Have the front bearings been disturbed, or serviced recently (they are adjustable, unlike those at the rear).

Its all guesswork from here, we really need something to narrow the search down. Has anything out of the ordinary occurred or been done to the car ??

Bob.
Quotron

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2018 20:17    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the pointers Bob. I will check out the wheel bearings etc. I haven't been off road. But my son did play with the height adjustment. If there is an issue here could that make this noise.
BobMurphy
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 0:24    Post subject: Reply with quote

Height adjustment shouldn't cause anything to rub unless you have lost a 'bump stop' and the suspension is sitting too low.

Is the car sitting at 'Normal' height at the moment ?

What year is the car and what mileage has it done ?

The handbrake mechanism on the 90 and 100-series are over-complicated and not always effective. If the car is old there could be something going on inside one of the drums that is catching every revolution. There are thin 'shoe retainers' that rust away allowing the handbrake shoes to spring outwards against the drum.

More guesswork I'm afraid.

Bob.
Quotron

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2018 20:15    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Bob

Just to let you know. We have found the problem. It was the heat shield running on Russell shaft.
All ok now.
Thanks for your help.
Quotron

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2018 20:17    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really should Che k the auto correct first. It should say heat shield. Rubbing on the prop shaft.
BobMurphy
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2018 0:10    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quotron wrote:
We have found the problem. It was the heat shield running on Russell shaft.

Excellent, a simple fix. Glad you found it !

Bob.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> 100 Series / Amazon Technical Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: