Atlas Overland Adventure Tours

The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club
Landcruiser Club - Dedicated to Toyota Landcruiser, Amazon, Colorado and Prado Owners

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
TLOCUK HomeTLOCUK Home   TLOCUK ForumsTLOCUK Forums  TLOCUK FaceBook GroupTLOCUK FaceBook Group
Click here to link to the South African LandCruiser Owners Club websiteLCCSA  Click here to link to the Australian LandCruiser Owners OnLine website - possibly the longest established Land Cruiser club on the net!LCOOL  Click here to link to the IH8MUD website - run by extremely enthusiastic Land Cruiser owners, with a fantastic source of DIY information and useful forum!IH8MUD  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

Stop light fault - Help!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> 90 Series / Prado / Colorado Technical Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mattsim

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2018 12:11    Post subject: Stop light fault - Help! Reply with quote

Problem with my 2002 90 series. The brake lights have stopped working on both sides but the high level (door) light still works.
The fuse under the steering column is OK
So, I'm guessing one feed wire comes from the brake light switch to the back of the car and splits somewhere to feed the body lights as a pair and the high level light.
There seems to be connections and relays (?) in front of the NS cluster, where the jack lives. Could this be a relay fault or just a connection?
Where would i look for the wiring split which i suspect exists?
Or are there two completely separate circuits?
All help appreciated!
Thanks.
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2018 12:11    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

modvrs

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2018 15:22    Post subject: Reply with quote

Presume you've checked for the obvious blown bulb or notorious corroded in-bumper light units. The wiring diagram shows separate feeds to n/s unit and o/s + high-level units with the join somewhere behind the dash. (hard to read exact location of connectors). all power feed wires are G-W (green-white I guess as can't find key!) and earths are W-B (white-black). I'd think the relays you see in the n/s are more likely towbar related if you have one.

My money would be on faults with the in-bumper units so I would start checking for power and earths backwards from them.

Wiring diagrams are readily available from a good search online if you need them.
mattsim

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2018 15:58    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello,
Thanks for the quick response!

Yes, bulbs are fine. The rear light clusters are earthed collectively onto a post near the jack mount and as everything else is working, i assume (!) the earth is OK.

You are correct, i found a Ryder split charge relay coupled in and what looks like an indicator buzzer - not actually tried it yet but i do get a warning beep for trailer flashers.

Anyway, I have a red/yellow feed coming to the OS light, then crossing over under the boot to the NS. The RY feed seems to go up and perhaps over the OS wheelarch. I could put a test bulb on that wire, directly to earth, to double check if any power arrives at this point.

Whilst checking fuses under the dash, i noticed wiring going back along the top of the sill so perhaps this is it (its all wrapped, of course)

So, your advice that the feed splits somewhere under the dash is very useful, thanks. I couldn't find a wiring diagram online. I googled 'land cruiser 95 brake light wiring'. i think. Will have another look.

Thanks again, Matt
modvrs

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2018 17:59    Post subject: Reply with quote

Manuals I have are for earlier 1996-99 models which may explain colour differences as you have the later 99-03 model. If you pm me I'm happy to provide links to the manuals I have if you think they may be useful.
mattsim

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2018 18:00    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right then! Problem solved.

Found the brake light switch is double pole, ie, two ins and two outs.

One connection must have been loose because wiggling the block made the lights work. Used a tiny screwdriver to bend the female slot a little tighter and all is working happily again.

Many thanks for the advice and panic prevention.

Cheers

Matt
modvrs

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2018 18:04    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well done, panic over.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> 90 Series / Prado / Colorado Technical Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: