NFU Mutual - click to link

The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club
Landcruiser Club - Dedicated to Toyota Landcruiser, Amazon, Colorado and Prado Owners

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
TLOCUK HomeTLOCUK Home   TLOCUK ForumsTLOCUK Forums  TLOCUK FaceBook GroupTLOCUK FaceBook Group
Click here to link to the South African LandCruiser Owners Club websiteLCCSA  Click here to link to the Australian LandCruiser Owners OnLine website - possibly the longest established Land Cruiser club on the net!LCOOL  Click here to link to the IH8MUD website - run by extremely enthusiastic Land Cruiser owners, with a fantastic source of DIY information and useful forum!IH8MUD  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

fuel filter primer head

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> 90 Series / Prado / Colorado Technical Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wolfy

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 14:43    Post subject: fuel filter primer head Reply with quote

Hi all

My truck has an annoying intermittant fault !..

She suffers fuel starvation symptoms under load......over the yrs ! (yes years Smile ) ive found that the fault is cured by simply replacing the fuel filter.......but i shouldnt have to swap out the filter 2 or 3 times a year ! Smile

the only other thing i disturb during this work is the fuel filter primer head.........now im wondering, although this head works, in that it allows me to prime the system after the filter change, is it possible for a diagragm to slowly let air into the system giving me this fault ?.......any leaky fuel lines (i would have thought) wouldnt be effetced by just a filter change....

be interested on any thoughts people Smile

thanks....
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 14:43    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

Roger Fairclough

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 15:10    Post subject: Reply with quote

What is the mileage between problems?

Roger
wolfy

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 15:31    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Roger

Good question...cant say as ive tracked that but possibly 2 to 4K
MikeyB

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 1:34    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you examined your filter? Perhaps you have crud in your tank/lines that is filling the filter between changes.
Mines go like over 100000km
If it was air, wouldnt a simple repump of the bleed valve fix that?
cbv8

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 12:21    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check the fuel lines especially where they enter the tank i had major starting problems on mine the engine would turn over for ages before starting i discovered the metal fuel lines entering the tank were rotten and holed after cutting rot of and replacing with flexible hose it starts fist turn of the key good luck  Smile
russell.huffer

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 17:28    Post subject: Reply with quote

My Patrol used at least one filter a year, the problem with that was the fuel tank had crud in it, if I went below half full I risk stirring it up when refilling and blocking the filter instantly, so just used to fill up before halfway.

Kind regards

Russell.
russell.huffer

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 17:29    Post subject: Reply with quote

My Patrol used at least one filter a year, the problem with that was the fuel tank had crud in it, if I went below half full I risk stirring it up when refilling and blocking the filter instantly, so just used to fill up before halfway.

Kind regards

Russell.
wolfy

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2019 11:25    Post subject: Reply with quote

hmm a few ideas here...my thoughts...

if it where faulty fuel lines,,,,or a blocked tank filter etc..wouldnt i have the problem all the time ? i can have this problem that will maybe clear for a few days and then come back...also if its blocked tank filter or a porous line..why does changing the fuel filter cure it for months on end ?  hmmm
wolfy

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2019 12:11    Post subject: Reply with quote

ive also noticed that when the fault seams to be occuring..ie whenmy foot is hard to the floor and the beast just isnt accelrating or is starved...if i dip the clutch the engine revs away as expected.....this must mean something lol but not sure what Smile
MikeyB

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2019 22:16    Post subject: Reply with quote

It just means its not under load so will increase rpm with hardly any fuel.
I suggest you autopsy your next filter when it comes out. I dont know of any tank filter like you say, no one else has mentioned such a thing
Col 7

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2019 22:35    Post subject: tank filter Reply with quote

a mesh bag on the end of the fuel pickup in the tank,
looks like a teabag. Bio stuff in fuel can gather and block this.

There were some graphic pictures on this section of the board years back,
until the hosting service closed access unless the poster accepted ' new terms' -  
went from free use to a $400 'fee' in one move iirc. Ouch.  

Perhaps another member 'stored' a similar pic?

HTH
Col
MikeyB

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2019 22:52    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah ok i didnt know there was a filter there.
Yes thats pretty ridiculous about photos, first time ive come across that.
If its the tank filter i dont know how changing the fuel one would temporary fix that
wolfy

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2019 11:46    Post subject: Reply with quote

ive also noticed there are wires going into the top of the fuel primer unit....apparently its a heater ?  why ? could this have failed  etc ?

im also at a loss to understand how swapping out the fuel filter affects this fault..if the root cause is either a fuel line or a filter in the tank......im obvioulsy disturbing SOMETHING when i change the fuel filter.........*shrugs*
Roger Fairclough

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2019 12:50    Post subject: Reply with quote

his is a "bite the bullet" time. You need to start at the tank and move your way forward. Strip and clean the tank. Pressure test the pipes and hoses. If something blows, replace it. Check for anything that can cause a restriction. The heater is part of the winter pack.

Are you buying reputable fuel?

Roger
wolfy

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2019 13:16    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes im getting fuel from the same place i always do......whatgets me is the fault can disappear for months at a time...(last filter was changed jun 18) and thden it will come back.......i would have thought any failing part, blocked filter..would stay failed and stay blocked....the ONLY thing i do is replace the filter and fault clears........its the regularity of this that i dont get....
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> 90 Series / Prado / Colorado Technical Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: