NFU Mutual - click to link

The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club
Landcruiser Club - Dedicated to Toyota Landcruiser, Amazon, Colorado and Prado Owners

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
TLOCUK HomeTLOCUK Home   TLOCUK ForumsTLOCUK Forums  TLOCUK FaceBook GroupTLOCUK FaceBook Group
Click here to link to the South African LandCruiser Owners Club websiteLCCSA  Click here to link to the Australian LandCruiser Owners OnLine website - possibly the longest established Land Cruiser club on the net!LCOOL  Click here to link to the IH8MUD website - run by extremely enthusiastic Land Cruiser owners, with a fantastic source of DIY information and useful forum!IH8MUD  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

headlights come on by them selfs

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> 90 Series / Prado / Colorado Technical Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
diggerdave

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2019 11:43    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not specific to this problem, but just general comment (from a non-electrician). Lots of 'odd' electrical problems can be due to bad earth connections, usually corroded attachment points which are probably going to become more common as our trucks get older. The earth from the negative pole of my battery to the body was in a poor condition.
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2019 11:43    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

MisterCruiser

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2019 22:39    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've just encountered the same problem on y 97 Colorado, got up the other morning and both headlights were on, stalk was in its proper "off" position and no keys in ignition. It had been raining and I suspect moisture got in somewhere. I disconnected the battery negative to troubleshoot it later as had to go to work (have another work car). Anyway, I connected the battery back up last night and the lights were off as normal. Then today, the same thing happened again, headlights came on by themselves with no key in ignition and stalk in its off position.

The tail lights don't be on, it's just the front headlights. Whilst they were on today, I pulled each of the 2 headlight fuses under the bonnet and the respective left / right headlight went out. I didn't think to pull the relay, but I pulled it later when the problem wasn't present and it looks ok, I didn't open it, but the terminal contacts on it appear fine and the fuse box itself isn't wet or showing evidence of moisture.

I tried wriggling random wires and wire looms, etc, to see if the headlights would turn on but they didn't.

Where is the earth point connection for the headlights, is it an actual earth cable bolted to somewhere in the engine bay?

There's 3 of us in this thread with the same problem so hopefully we'll figure it out between us SmileSmile
DaveWall

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2019 6:04    Post subject: Reply with quote

Has anyone with this problem disconnected light stalk on the steering column while the lights are on?  at least you'll narrow the short to earth down to before or after the stalk... (or within the stalk itself I guess)....
Bumble

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2020 15:59    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, new member here. I’ve got this problem. Old thread but did anyone find a solution? I took advice from a couple of people on a fb group and changed the relay. 58 inc vat later. Still on.
 Been dicking about with it over the weekend with no joy. It’s my workhorse truck and I’m having to plan my day around taking the relay out before it kills my charge, using onboard drains to a minimum. Not ideal.
 At this point I’m thinking of just cutting a switch into the live feed even if it’s located under the bonnet.
Cheers.
MisterCruiser

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2020 19:48    Post subject: Reply with quote

I never fixed mine as it never happened again nearly a year later, very strange, but I'm not complaining that it fixed itself.

If your lights are on the whole time and not intermittent then it should be easier to try and fix. Maybe pull out some fuses and see if the lights go out, that will help point to which circuit is shorting to the lights or such. Maybe start with checking the fuses / earths / then pulling fuses, etc... Wiggle some wires and see if the lights go off or flicker.

It could be the stalk either.

Let us know what the problem was when you find it, as it's an interesting one and a few owners have experienced it and no real fix in this thread yet.
Bumble

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2020 17:54    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right, found it totally by chance. I’ve been using it and just taking the relay out. Not ideal, however, I was parked at the yard with the engine runnng and the lights on. I was absentmindedly fiddling with the switch on the end of the stalk.
  I wasn’t turning it in the normal fashion. The light switch was off but lights on. I was rocking the switch about and they went off. Rocked it about some more. The came on. At no point was the switch turned to on.
  I’m taking it as a faulty light switch. Thought it might be a case of taking the casing off and replacing the stalk. But no. Looks like the steering wheel needs to come off and the stalks on both sides come as a complete unit. To be continued.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> 90 Series / Prado / Colorado Technical Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: