All Wheel Drive Club

The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club
Landcruiser Club - Dedicated to Toyota Landcruiser, Amazon, Colorado and Prado Owners

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
TLOCUK HomeTLOCUK Home   TLOCUK ForumsTLOCUK Forums  TLOCUK FaceBook GroupTLOCUK FaceBook Group
Click here to link to the South African LandCruiser Owners Club websiteLCCSA  Click here to link to the Australian LandCruiser Owners OnLine website - possibly the longest established Land Cruiser club on the net!LCOOL  Click here to link to the IH8MUD website - run by extremely enthusiastic Land Cruiser owners, with a fantastic source of DIY information and useful forum!IH8MUD  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

chassis

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> 90 Series / Prado / Colorado Technical Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gary frew

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2019 17:06    Post subject: chassis Reply with quote

Hi Looking for some help advice I have R reg colorado just been for mot and garage say rear chassis is is in a bad way he thinks he could not repair not wanting to scrap as great runner and only 64k genuine miles on it can you get chassis sections or does anyone no anybody in falkirk area who is clued up on this thanks Gary Frew
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2019 17:06    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

BobMurphy
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2019 11:30    Post subject: Re: chassis Reply with quote

Gary,

Toyota sell the various chassis sections. I have replaced a couple of the bolted-on ones and will be replacing the rear cross members when I get the body off the '90' (one of those "Round Tooit" jobs - the truck is currently on SORN).

I have to replace some lower body panels as well (the joys of Scottish Winters).

Bob.
gary frew

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2019 10:18    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks Bob
DaveWall

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2019 6:03    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm guessing they must throw the salt about a lot more up there, always thought the chassis on the 90 series was pretty long lasting good stuff...
gary frew

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2019 9:37    Post subject: Reply with quote

DaveWall wrote:
I'm guessing they must throw the salt about a lot more up there, always thought the chassis on the 90 series was pretty long lasting good stuff...

HI Dave
I think we have salt from nov to march also i think our salt has a lot more brine added, i looked at replaceing full chassis but only place i could get one for short wheel base was japan body is in very good condition and it is a genuine 64k on engine and manual box and would be a shame to scrap i also have long wheel base colorado 1999 with 156k on it, what makes it so awkward to weld is that it is the curved section both sides above axle front of chassis solid, it is a shame no one seems to do main chassis sections
cheers
Gary
diggerdave

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2019 23:01    Post subject: Reply with quote

Before settling on my current Colorado, I had a look at two low mileage examples. The first thing I always do is scrabble around on the floor (I even take my overalls to viewings and ask the seller whether it's OK to get underneath, causing a certain amount of bemusement). One I rejected due to rotten sills (last owner, Scottish) and the other had a rear quarter chassis so patched it was like looking at a series landrover (one previous owner, Scottish). Never buy a Scottish 4x4! The Scots may be hardy, but *beep* southern steel can't cope.
Juddian

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2019 13:59    Post subject: Reply with quote

You sound like me Diggerdave, underneath is the first and sometimes the only place i look, i've been back in my car on the way 5 minutes after just looking underneath before now.

My most memorable was driving 150 miles to look at a pristine waxoyled 100 series being sold by small dealer, i didn't even open the doors, slid underneath and put me mitt straight through a rust holed body box section, and the waxoyling consisted of one fresh light misting pass of a waxoyl aerosol over the front wishbones and cross member, i was back in my 4 year older 90 (in far better condition)  on the way home 5 mins later.

My current 120 series i decided to buy within 2 mins of arriving at the motorhome sales centre it had been traded in at for a new motorhome, soon as i got there overalls on and under i went, too good to pass on, there is much to be said for well heeled previous ownership.

For a short time a few years ago they started listing the MOT stations on the .gov MOT history online, i found this an invaluable feature not only to discard Scottish and high Northern counties cars, but also if viewed in conjunction with the cars service history it was further evidence of cars which had dubious histories when things didn't all gel, and it helped confirm the good ones.

Sadly they stopped listing the addresses of the MOT stations not so long after, and i always wondered if it was car dealer associate bodies who managed to get that quashed, maybe too many of us were discarding vehicles before even having to leave our homes.

Now its a case of relying on the service history, number of previous owners and the mk 1 eyeball to determine if you're considering buying a car that is more likely to be a rust bucket.
DaveWall

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2019 16:47    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agreed - rather have dents/cracked screen and good chassis....  But it will creep up on them all at some point!

My biggest gripe is the car sales forecourts that sell a car and stick an mot on it as part of the deal - I know so many people that have bought cars obviously stood around for ages - no way should they have an MOT, yet the dealer has managed to put one on to shift the car!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> 90 Series / Prado / Colorado Technical Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: