4x4 & MPV Driver - 40% subscription discount

The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club
Landcruiser Club - Dedicated to Toyota Landcruiser, Amazon, Colorado and Prado Owners

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
TLOCUK HomeTLOCUK Home   TLOCUK ForumsTLOCUK Forums  TLOCUK FaceBook GroupTLOCUK FaceBook Group
Click here to link to the South African LandCruiser Owners Club websiteLCCSA  Click here to link to the Australian LandCruiser Owners OnLine website - possibly the longest established Land Cruiser club on the net!LCOOL  Click here to link to the IH8MUD website - run by extremely enthusiastic Land Cruiser owners, with a fantastic source of DIY information and useful forum!IH8MUD  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

Knocking Following Fitting of New Suspension

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> 90 Series / Prado / Colorado Technical Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cb

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2019 15:05    Post subject: Knocking Following Fitting of New Suspension Reply with quote

Hi
Recently had new front and rear suspension units fitted to my 90 series and am now experiencing a loud knocking noise when the suspension is under load and the steering wheel turned. It isn't a cyclical noise, it doesn't happen all the time and nor does the steering wheel have to be on full lock - but it is definitely two solid bits of metal coming together! I'm pretty sure that it's coming from the passenger front area, but it's a bit difficult to tell. I don't think there is any problem with the suspension units themselves as they came pre-assembled and they are the correct OEM, so I think it's more likely that now the car is at the correct height (it's a 20 year old car, so the previous suspension would almost certainly have dropped over the years), something else needs adjusting/replacing.
Any hints of areas to check would be much appreciated.
Thanks
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2019 15:05    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

Roger Fairclough

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2019 23:28    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you informed the fitter as to the problem?

Roger
DaveWall

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2019 6:21    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah I would speak to whoever fitted the suspension first -

A Very obvious one would be the Anti Roll Bar Links/Bushes they aren't great to be honest and often ignored with changing suspension!

BUT before that maybe check for loose bolts before driving it too much, perhaps torqueing up a bolt was missed somewhere and as the load changes something is clunking and moving, easily done!  Visually check for movement marks.

Also check the steering ball joints with weight on the wheels not just when the body is jacked up!
DaveWall

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2019 6:25    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is quite common to hear the Rear Axle Bump Stops contact the rear axle if the Springs are old/saggy, and this echo's through to sound like the front...  

BUT you wouldn't expect that with new springs, maybe depends what you mean by "Loaded Up" if you have half a tractor in the back on OEM springs, your gonna hear this, and its quite a metallic knock.
cb

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2019 23:27    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the suggestions. I have been back to the fitter and he's checked for movement marks and the anti roll bar links (not sure about steering ball joints). An example of when it happens is if I'm coming down off a kerb (which is why I'm pretty sure it's on the front suspension) - I haven't had any load in the back and have still had the noise
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> 90 Series / Prado / Colorado Technical Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: