2Gether FS : 01945 585322

The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club
Landcruiser Club - Dedicated to Toyota Landcruiser, Amazon, Colorado and Prado Owners

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
TLOCUK HomeTLOCUK Home   TLOCUK ForumsTLOCUK Forums  TLOCUK FaceBook GroupTLOCUK FaceBook Group
Click here to link to the South African LandCruiser Owners Club websiteLCCSA  Click here to link to the Australian LandCruiser Owners OnLine website - possibly the longest established Land Cruiser club on the net!LCOOL  Click here to link to the IH8MUD website - run by extremely enthusiastic Land Cruiser owners, with a fantastic source of DIY information and useful forum!IH8MUD  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

Rear diff lock

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> 100 Series / Amazon Technical Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ryan

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2019 10:08    Post subject: Rear diff lock Reply with quote

Hi all, so new to the LC after many many years of Land Rover ownership. I have a 100 series Amazon and it appears the rear diff lock isn’t working. Low range engages fine so does the centre diff lock but the rear just flashes red. Heard lots about faulty actuators etc but wondered if it coud be lack of use and wondered if I induce spin on mud it may lock? Your thoughts please guys and gals
Ryan
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2019 10:08    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

RADIOTWO

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2019 14:34    Post subject: Re: Rear diff lock Reply with quote

Ryan wrote:
Hi all, so new to the LC after many many years of Land Rover ownership. I have a 100 series Amazon and it appears the rear diff lock isn’t working. Low range engages fine so does the centre diff lock but the rear just flashes red. Heard lots about faulty actuators etc but wondered if it coud be lack of use and wondered if I induce spin on mud it may lock? Your thoughts please guys and gals
Ryan

when you engage the rear diff how far do you drive to try and get it to engage ?
Ryan

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2019 19:33    Post subject: Re: Rear diff lock Reply with quote

RADIOTWO wrote:
Ryan wrote:
Ryan

when you engage the rear diff how far do you drive to try and get it to engage ?

I’ve been on Tarmac so I’ve literally only rolled the length of the vehicle to try?

Regards Ryan
RADIOTWO

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2019 21:06    Post subject: Re: Rear diff lock Reply with quote

Ryan wrote:
RADIOTWO wrote:
Ryan wrote:
Ryan

I’ve been on Tarmac so I’ve literally only rolled the length of the vehicle to try?

Regards Ryan

If it locks in mud I would try a bit longer but only in a straight line.
and you would only use it in slippery conditions, like snow or mud,
I have had mine since 2004 and have only selected center diff lock a few times and other than
making sure it works only selected the rear  a couple of times, it just works !

The only other thing I would say is have some decent off road tyres (not road tyres)
Ryan

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2019 21:14    Post subject: Re: Rear diff lock Reply with quote

RADIOTWO wrote:
Ryan wrote:
RADIOTWO wrote:
Ryan wrote:
Ryan

Regards Ryan

I have had mine since 2004 and have only selected center diff lock a few times and other than

The only other thing I would say is have some decent off road tyres (not road tyres)

Right so had drive on a muddy field so as not to damage
Anything but the rear locker just flashes red so I assume it isn’t working 😔 will try again for a few days in case it’s juT lack of use but fear I’m going to have to get the diff/actuator rebuilt 😔
RADIOTWO

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2019 23:11    Post subject: Re: Rear diff lock Reply with quote

Ryan wrote:
RADIOTWO wrote:
Ryan wrote:
RADIOTWO wrote:
Ryan wrote:
Ryan

Regards Ryan

Anything but the rear locker just flashes red so I assume it isn’t working 😔 will try again for a few days in case it’s juT lack of use but fear I’m going to have to get the diff/actuator rebuilt 😔

You said earlier it locked up on mud did the light go solid when it did this?
the other thing have you got it in low range when trying the rear diff ?
Ryan

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2019 12:10    Post subject: Re: Rear diff lock Reply with quote

RADIOTWO wrote:
Ryan wrote:
RADIOTWO wrote:
Ryan wrote:
RADIOTWO wrote:
Ryan wrote:
Ryan

Regards Ryan

You said earlier it locked up on mud did the light go solid when it did this?
the other thing have you got it in low range when trying the rear diff ?

Hi no I said I would try it on mud to see if I could induce spin to see if it locked up. I did this and it didn’t lock, I was in low range and drove around a bit including reversing etc. No solid light just flashes red so I think unfortunately I’ve a problem 😔
Regards Ryan
andy

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2019 14:52    Post subject: Reply with quote

This might help with the diagnosis http://www.sleeoffroad.com/technical/tz_diff_lock_actuator.htm
Mercedes Sprinter 311 Luton
1993 VX80 4.2td SOLD
1996 Hilux Surf SSR-G Intercooler Sold
1994 Hilux Surf SSR-V Sold
RADIOTWO

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2019 15:59    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes it sounds like it is caput so read link Andy has put up or a replacement !
some tests first to make sure you are getting power but a remove and strip down
Ryan

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2019 10:45    Post subject: Reply with quote

andy wrote:
This might help with the diagnosis http://www.sleeoffroad.com/technical/tz_diff_lock_actuator.htm

Many thanks for your help 👍
Ryan

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2019 10:46    Post subject: Reply with quote

RADIOTWO wrote:
Yes it sounds like it is caput so read link Andy has put up or a replacement !
some tests first to make sure you are getting power but a remove and strip down

Many thanks for your help 👍
hodgy0_2

PostPosted: Tue Dec 24, 2019 16:39    Post subject: Reply with quote

this is a common problem

indeed I have experienced it on my old 80 - and managed (with the help of the slee link and other resources) to rebuild one, it was totally rusty with the actuator rod seized in pace and the bowel full of crungy rust

the one on my 100 I tried to fix, but in the end replaced

and understanding of how they operate is useful in diagnosing the problem

when you supply power to the device a motor winds the spring (using the worm gear) which supplies force to the actuator rod - in this primed state, when the gears line up in the diff (there is a splined collar not shown in the picture on the slee website that actually locks the to the diff ) the tension in the actuator rod pushed the splined collar into a locked state (and as the rod goes in in actuates a secondary switch that turns the dash light solid - so you know it has locked)

when power it removed the opposite happens and the rod retracted under spring tension

so, if you supply power to the device (either by using the switch or manually applying power direct to the loom) you should hear the spring "wind up" (it is quite loud)

if you don't, I suspect the motor is fubard or the actuator rod seized

as I said above they take quite a lot of abuse before they need replacing, so a seemingly knackered ones can be bough back to life with plenty of oil/wire brushing etc
one really important thing is - the cover is very "soft" and the three bolts that secure it to the body sheer very easily and that is actually what did for the one on my 100 series  not the operation
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> 100 Series / Amazon Technical Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: