All Wheel Drive Club

The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club
Landcruiser Club - Dedicated to Toyota Landcruiser, Amazon, Colorado and Prado Owners

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
TLOCUK HomeTLOCUK Home   TLOCUK ForumsTLOCUK Forums  TLOCUK FaceBook GroupTLOCUK FaceBook Group
Click here to link to the South African LandCruiser Owners Club websiteLCCSA  Click here to link to the Australian LandCruiser Owners OnLine website - possibly the longest established Land Cruiser club on the net!LCOOL  Click here to link to the IH8MUD website - run by extremely enthusiastic Land Cruiser owners, with a fantastic source of DIY information and useful forum!IH8MUD  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

90 series buyers guide ?

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> 90 Series / Prado / Colorado Technical Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Four Runner

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 0:13    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many thanks for the information I will keep it in mind when I start looking for a LC
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 0:13    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

Landcrusher
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2009 20:12    Post subject: Reply with quote

It would seem that rear UJ spider bearings are a wear out failure item too. No drama and about a tenner to fix. There are several 90 owners now who have experienced this. The noise comes on fairly quickly and really CANNOT be ignored for long. If you have a good one, make sure that it gets greased. The nipple can get clogged up so finding a little rubber-teetee to put over it, like a brake bleed nipple cover would be good. Very often, grease only squeezes out of one or two of the facet joints in the UJ. This might mean that not all of the bearings are getting grease. It's worth turning the prop to try and get grease to go through all of the unit. There are needle roller bearings in there and as you can imagine, some serious forces get transmitted through there. Let that get dry and they literally turn to dust. No big deal to undo one end of the prop-shaft to allow the joint to fall and manipulate it by hand through a range of movement. While you are at it, clean out the slip yoke (the sort of splined male female shaft on the end) and grease LIGHTLY. Do not cram grease in here. it needs to slide. If you fill it with grease it will be like a hydraulic ram and put all of the force into your rear uj and speed up failure. The Milner ones seem to be good (TOYO) bearings, but the grease nipple is a problem when you come to access it. We're working on trying to find a way around this with a replacement.

LC
Shambo09

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2009 0:49    Post subject: My Landcruiser Reply with quote

Just collected my first landcruiser today. 140K, 1998. Can't spot any of these problems mentioned so I reckon I've stumbled upon a good one Smile
error404

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 23:37    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good evening all,

Tonight, i was on eeBaayy and Oooooops, I think I just clicked on "Commit to buy" on that baby...

White 2001 LWB Colorado GX
3.4 V6 Petrol
87000 miles

I'll pick it up this saturday. I've been through all the points mentioned in that useful tread, but I'd like to know if there is anything specific on this model, 2001 VZJ95. Anything in particular I should be cautious about ?

Anyways, i'm very excited about getting that car, i currently own a Defender 110 TD5, because I've dreamed about that car since i was a kid, but it's time to face the fact that it is hardly fit for anything outside mudplugging & towing on short distances. So off with the desert romance, it's about time to be reasonable (and by reasonable, i mean being able to drive two hours in winter without mittens nor risking the loss of a big toe...)

Glad I found your forum,

Erwann
carlll

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2010 18:51    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm on the lookout! decided on a swb colorado as I want the rear locker. Would prefer auto but happy with a manual and if the gearing is low even better as I want to put 33" tyres on with a little suspension/body lift. Only going to be used for offroading and trip to laning days. The one's I've seen are mainly Prado's so presume I'm right in saying they don't have the rear locker?
Landcrusher
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2010 19:36    Post subject: Reply with quote

Correctamundo. No locker on Prado (OK there have been a couple of odd ones that did) No auto SWB Colorado either. If it's auto, it's a Prado.

C
essexeddie

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2010 20:48    Post subject: Re: My Landcruiser Reply with quote

Shambo09 wrote:
Just collected my first landcruiser today. 140K, 1998. Can't spot any of these problems mentioned so I reckon I've stumbled upon a good one Smile

I've had my Colorado for eight years now ['98] and never had any trouble at all, still the original exhaust. Never failed its MOT. Best 4X4 I have had [ two Range Rovers and two Disco ]
Always serviced every year so I suppose that helps, mind you at 85,000 mls it should be OK.
They are built to last.
essexeddie

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 17:18    Post subject: Re: My Landcruiser Reply with quote

essexeddie wrote:
Shambo09 wrote:

I've had my Colorado for eight years now ['98] and never had any trouble at all, still the original exhaust. Never failed its MOT. Best 4X4 I have had [ two Range Rovers and two Disco ]
Always serviced every year so I suppose that helps, mind you at 85,000 mls it should be OK.
They are built to last.

It will be up for sale shortly if any one is interested?

teddybeaver

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2011 7:04    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 5 door variant will be good. I am having one. The 3 door will be a little smaller.
hanzelticks

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2015 18:48    Post subject: Re: My Landcruiser Reply with quote

Very nice write up Landcrusher, I will have to give it a shot, Funny thing, My passenger side is worse than the driver. All of the sticky user reviews now made sense!
andytech99

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 13:48    Post subject: Reply with quote

Surprised this hasn't been mentioned already on this sticky but for 90 series buyers (I know this applies to LWB, not sure about SWB)

Check out the rear heater pipes.. these are small thin pipes under the car which lead to the back..  They carry hot coolant and allow folks in the back to stay warm.. these corrode over time and basically need replacing in older 90 series cars..  not massively expensive, but be prepared to include this in your buy cost unless it's been done recently.   Failure to do it can mean leaking coolant which is obviously bad.  Probably the most likely breakdown scenario I can think of for this car.

Otherwise very very reliable cars - If you're reading this and thinking of buying one..  Honestly do it.

I spent 4k buying mine, then another 3k on preventative stuff, including new radiator / water pump, brakes, cambelt, drive belts, tyres, fluid flushes, rear heater pipes etc.. etc.. - I probably went a bit overboard but if you want 100k worry free motoring in a 20yr old Landcruiser.. It's totally worth it.

I also have a box of tricks I permanently carry in the back of mine..  Oils, fluids, Radweld, spare drive belts, tow strap, fire extinguisher, jumper cables, tools, shovel etc..  This is all leftover from the first road trip I bought the car for.. London -> Tromso and back.   After doing 6000 miles in 2 weeks, it's only had basic servicing since and flies through every MOT.

Look after your things and they will look after you!
taro

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2020 22:30    Post subject: Reply with quote

A thing i was advised was to buy a LWB.. Its well worth it when you drive around with all types of *beep* at the rear and a dog .. Good space and you dont have to empty it every day if you have to carry something besides the obvious.. Fluids, a bit of tools. If i should say something negative about the LWB .. There are more metal to rust Wink My 1996 has severe frame rust problems but its due to be fixed very soon with the cap lifted of. I have the changed tons of parts as i dont want to drive around with something defective when new can be bought cheap. The parts here in Denmark are expensive so i order lots of original parts from Emirates , Japan etc and aftermarket parts fro Germany and off course the UK Milner , Rough etc... Way cheaper than here in Denmark.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> 90 Series / Prado / Colorado Technical Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: