NFU Mutual - click to link

The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club
Landcruiser Club - Dedicated to Toyota Landcruiser, Amazon, Colorado and Prado Owners

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
TLOCUK HomeTLOCUK Home   TLOCUK ForumsTLOCUK Forums  TLOCUK FaceBook GroupTLOCUK FaceBook Group
Click here to link to the South African LandCruiser Owners Club websiteLCCSA  Click here to link to the Australian LandCruiser Owners OnLine website - possibly the longest established Land Cruiser club on the net!LCOOL  Click here to link to the IH8MUD website - run by extremely enthusiastic Land Cruiser owners, with a fantastic source of DIY information and useful forum!IH8MUD  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

Fuel Gauge Problem-2001 4.2 TD VX

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> 100 Series / Amazon Technical Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bigone

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2011 10:37    Post subject: Fuel Gauge Problem-2001 4.2 TD VX Reply with quote

Filled tank and started off down the motorway and after 25 miles the gauge dropped to zero and the warning light came on. Stopped expecting to see the underside covered in diesel but it was as clean as a whistle! Got to service area and topped up - it took just 4 ltrs! Started and fuel needle went to full and then dropped to zero and fuel warning light flashed. Drove like this for the rest of the journey using the mileage trip to stay in contact with fuel level. Stopped at another service area and when started again the gauge behaved normally and has done till yesterday. When I turned the ignition key, the needle went to half full (as it should have), then to full and dropped back to zero with the fuel warning light flashing. Have had the car from new and never experienced a problem with the gauge read out. Any ideas on the problem and how to sort it? TIA. Brian
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2011 10:37    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

bushburywolf
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2011 23:27    Post subject: Reply with quote

seems to me you have a small pinhole in the fuel tank float ...try that first
Wandering Willy

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2011 16:44    Post subject: Reply with quote

You may have a bad contact on the wire between the fuel gauge sender in the tank and the gauge itself. Alternatively, the wire is damaged and intermittently shorting out on the chassis.

If you have time, clean the connections starting at the tank end.

I don't know whether you can get at the sender unit without dropping the tank. There is often a hole in the floor over the sender unit so that this isn't necessary.

Follow the wire into the body of the car looking for cuts and places where the wire may have been caught or squashed.

There may also be in-line connectors where the wire passes through the floor (to make assembly easier in the factory). They are bad for corrosion as they are just a little tube with two 'bullets' pressed onto the wire ends. The tube fills with mucky water and corrosion start on the first wet day the car is on the road.

The last step is to pull the instrument pod out enough to see the connector and check that it is fully pressed home.

I doubt the sender unit is falling apart but if the wire shoes no problems, you might need a new sender. Unlikely though.

Willy
bigone

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2011 18:04    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many thanks for the thoughts - I decided I would leave getting underneath till the weekend. However, had same problem this morning - gauge went to half full (correct) then full and back to zero with flashing fuel light. Drove for a while like this and stopped and turned off. Next start, gauge behaved perfectly for rest of journey so can probably rule out float problems - once full of fuel it should stay sunk (= empty). Logically it seems like wiring/connectors or the sender earthing/electrically breaking down periodically? Any body know if there is a cover plate above the sender and how to get at it? TIA, Brian
jvoelcker

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2020 10:30    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

Just googling away and come across this post - we have a car here with an identical problem - did you ever resolve it?

Julian
1994 HDJ80, with loads of mods without looking too obscene Smile
1997 KZJ95 - Gilly's - plain black and muddy on BFG ATs.
bigone

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2020 11:24    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi - Just noticed your post  Embarassed  As to the fuel gauge issue I still have the same problem - 9 years later! I decided that the slight inconvenience of not having a working gauge was not worth the hassle of either dropping the tank or getting at the cover plate (I think that there is one) under the rear seats and carpets. I work on the basis that I can safely do 360 miles between refills and monitor the trip accordingly - have also put black tape over the flashing 'low fuel' dash light  Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> 100 Series / Amazon Technical Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: