4x4 & MPV Driver - 40% subscription discount

The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club
Landcruiser Club - Dedicated to Toyota Landcruiser, Amazon, Colorado and Prado Owners

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
TLOCUK HomeTLOCUK Home   TLOCUK ForumsTLOCUK Forums  TLOCUK FaceBook GroupTLOCUK FaceBook Group
Click here to link to the South African LandCruiser Owners Club websiteLCCSA  Click here to link to the Australian LandCruiser Owners OnLine website - possibly the longest established Land Cruiser club on the net!LCOOL  Click here to link to the IH8MUD website - run by extremely enthusiastic Land Cruiser owners, with a fantastic source of DIY information and useful forum!IH8MUD  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

Millners rear light nearside light cluster

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> 90 Series / Prado / Colorado Technical Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
axelgrinder

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2020 14:35    Post subject: Millners rear light nearside light cluster Reply with quote

I bought a non-Toyota  rear nearside light cluster from Millners about 18 months ago and to be fair, for the price it has been fine

One thing I have noticed is that the supposed ''reflector'' (on mine at least) does not ''reflect''

In the covid-19 enforced leisure time we are experiencing just now I removed the lens to try to find out why it doesn,t reflect, to discover that the
supposed reflector is just ''criss-crossed'' red plastic with no reflective capability whatsoever

I kept my old oem Toyota light cluster, and have drilled out the reflector on that (badly rusted screw, hence the drilling out) and now need to glue
the oem Toyota reflector to the Millners light cluster - I have sawn off the useless red criss-cross plastic section , leaving a space to glue in the oem reflector into the housing of
the Millners cluster

My question is this: all of my adhesives do not work on polyethylene or polypropylene plastics - does anyone out there know what the reflectors and their backing plastic base are made of ?

I suspect the Mot people might take a dim view of a non-reflective light cluster, - but I am not sure of the regulations on that - and I do not want to risk being  failed on this issue

Thanks in advance
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2020 14:35    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

Beastrider

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2020 21:42    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello - the black backing of the Toyota reflector is ABS. The Toyota light unit has a steel shell and you can easily glue the abs reflector backing to the steel shell using glue like araldite or superglue (providing the surfaces are clean and well fitting for superglue). You could also use a sealant.

I don’t know what the milners light unit frame is made from. If it’s steel then scrape the paint off before gluing. If it’s plastic then you need to know what type before deciding which glue will work.

I would expect a reflector needs to reflect for the mot, but not certain. Presumably it went through last year’s mot though.
axelgrinder

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2020 9:41    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Beastrider,

Thanks yours, I did some more research and it looks like the two plastics polyethylene and polypropolyene are used mostly in packaging, labelling and things like plastic piping, so I am going to go with superglue and keep fingers crossed - I am not 100% sure, but have read on a website that the reflector and its base may be made of a polycarbonate, but you refer to ABS - does that happen to be polycarbonate?

The milners light cluster housing is made of a thin aluminium (I think) so I am hoping the superglue will adhere both surfaces to each other

Yes, the truck did get through last years' mot , but with each passing year, Mot's seem to be getting more and more stringent

Keep safe and well in these unprecedented times

Best
Axelgrinder
Beastrider

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2020 14:30    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Axelgrinder - polycarbonate and abs are not the same. Polycarbonate is often used for clear lenses like headlights because of its excellent light transmission properties. Abs (acrylonitrile butadiene styrene) is a cheap opaque thermoplastic rubber used for all sorts of things on ours and most vehicles.

I took off the reflector from my Toyota cluster and there is an ABS symbol on it, so if you are transferring your Toyota reflector to the milners unit, you can be sure the black part is ABS. Superglue should be fine - just prepare the surfaces really well.

You can easily check if the cluster housing is aluminium by using a magnet.

Keep well.
axelgrinder

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2020 9:35    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for your very detailed and comprehensive reply

I shall be wielding the superglue shortly.......

Very much appreciated

Stay safe and well
Axelgrinder
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> 90 Series / Prado / Colorado Technical Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: