4x4 Mart magazine discount

The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club
Landcruiser Club - Dedicated to Toyota Landcruiser, Amazon, Colorado and Prado Owners

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
TLOCUK HomeTLOCUK Home   TLOCUK ForumsTLOCUK Forums  TLOCUK FaceBook GroupTLOCUK FaceBook Group
Click here to link to the South African LandCruiser Owners Club websiteLCCSA  Click here to link to the Australian LandCruiser Owners OnLine website - possibly the longest established Land Cruiser club on the net!LCOOL  Click here to link to the IH8MUD website - run by extremely enthusiastic Land Cruiser owners, with a fantastic source of DIY information and useful forum!IH8MUD  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

Handbrake Issue - Drums removed - Videos included

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> 90 Series / Prado / Colorado Technical Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MisterCruiser

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2020 18:52    Post subject: Handbrake Issue - Drums removed - Videos included Reply with quote

I'm having trouble with my handbrake, I removed the drums to have a look at what's going on and my drivers side (slave side) seems to be overly tight regards the bell crank lever and the slave wire cable that runs across seems to be always tight / tensioned.

Even with the handbrake lever adjuster in the cabin slackened off and the adjusting cog in the drum itself slackened completely off it doesn't seem to make much difference to the resistance at the drivers side  bell crank lever when I try move the crank by hand.

I made 2 videos, 1 of the drivers side and 1 of the passenger side, you can see how the passenger side has all slackened up freely but the drivers side hasn't, you will also see in the videos the difference in the stopper bolt that's supposed to rest against the backing plate, you can see I have a much longer bolt on my drivers side which I had to put in couple years ago when removing the slack to adjust the handbrake to get it to pass my Mot / Doe annual test.

Does my drivers side crank lever seem to be sticking at a certain point or seem to not have as much range of movement as the passenger side do ye reckon when I move it by hand in the vid?

Drivers side

https://send.firefox.com/download/06c59a33d03ef163/#gAiHXccQ9Nle10wUKnzT9g

Passenger side

https://send.firefox.com/download/dec3285348204762/#54avQqsYbLIOMccStIKinQ
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2020 18:52    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

MisterCruiser

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2020 22:19    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had another look at this and it's almost as if the slave wire coming across from the passenger side to the drivers side is too short, I disconnected the slave cable at the drives bell crank lever and the lever shot towards the drum back plate, the crank was under tension and being pulled away from the back plate even with the handbrake cabin lever slackened off and the drum cog wound fully slack.

I've had this problem since owning the cruiser 6 years and am now wondering if there's different slave cables and if a previous owner fitted a wrong / different cable at some stage.

See pics of crank being pulled away: ( my drivers side stopper bolt is removed in the pics)

Driver side

Passenger side

MisterCruiser

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2020 22:24    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry for the super large pics, I'd appreciate it if someone could resize the pics for me., only happens on this forum, you'd think admin would fix it.
MisterCruiser

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2020 15:55    Post subject: Reply with quote

The pivot point in this pic is free to move.
mks

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2020 10:03    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had similar problems, I had to take up slack at that handbrake to reduce travel to an acceptable level. That does mean those stop screws at the wheel end of the cable don't rest on the stops. I couldn't adjust the shoes sufficiently to get a satisfactory setup.
I think it was Bob Murphy who posted something about this. It could be wear in those pivots.
Personally I came to the conclusion that I would have to replace the shoes. I think this might bring things back to normal. Haven't tried it yet as my "fix" is serviceable for now but worth a thought
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> 90 Series / Prado / Colorado Technical Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: