Atlas Overland Adventure Tours

The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club
Landcruiser Club - Dedicated to Toyota Landcruiser, Amazon, Colorado and Prado Owners

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
TLOCUK HomeTLOCUK Home   TLOCUK ForumsTLOCUK Forums  TLOCUK FaceBook GroupTLOCUK FaceBook Group
Click here to link to the South African LandCruiser Owners Club websiteLCCSA  Click here to link to the Australian LandCruiser Owners OnLine website - possibly the longest established Land Cruiser club on the net!LCOOL  Click here to link to the IH8MUD website - run by extremely enthusiastic Land Cruiser owners, with a fantastic source of DIY information and useful forum!IH8MUD  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

Towing My Caravan

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> 150 Series / Prado Technical Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
FWoody

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2021 17:30    Post subject: Towing My Caravan Reply with quote

Hi all can I ask everyone on the forum what's the best way to tow my Caravan, do you leave the Auto gearbox to do all the work or do you slip it in the sport mode and use the manual gear box to help take the strain off the auto box, this is my first time towing with an auto box so any advice would be helpful.
Thanks Frank
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2021 17:30    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

14all_and_all41

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2021 23:17    Post subject: Reply with quote

Recommend let the autobox work away, sure there’s times that manual selection is useful, but I’ve never come across the need to use it, whilst towing many different things.
Wildmutt

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2021 23:15    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello FWoody.
How did you get on with towing your caravan with an auto box for the first time? Been looking at replacing my Colorado and the 150 series have caught my eye on a few occasions.

Keeping everyone happy is impossible. Pissing them off is a piece of cake......I like cake.
FWoody

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2021 12:18    Post subject: Towing My Caravan Reply with quote

Hi Wildmut I found towing on motorways is best in Auto Box but on steep inclines I would slip it into Sports mode just to keep the momentum up, also on twisty country roads was best in sports box because the auto box was up and down (doing its job as its meant to) may be its because Ive always driven manuals and like to be in control of the gearbox. Either one it towed no problem.......FWoody
Wildmutt

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2021 22:57    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Fwoody. Thank you for the reply. Time to start looking after Christmas I think. Have recently retired and plan to tour with my caravan more next year, depending on the covid situation of course.

Keeping everyone happy is impossible. Pissing them off is a piece of cake......I like cake.
Tractionman

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2021 14:28    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like your thinking Wildmutt. Events seriously interfered with our caravan trips. 👍
liverboy47

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2022 17:02    Post subject: Towing my Caravan Reply with quote

Hi chaps. I've been away from the TLOC for a very long time (health issues) and just reactivated.

I've been a Landcruiser owner since 1997 including 1 Amazon (and a Company Amazon for 2 years prior). My current vehicle is the 2012 LC5 purchased new (preceeded by 120, 90, Amazon 80 4.2D (stolen and never recovered) and I've have been caravanning for more than 35 years including mainland Europe. I find that the auto box is normally competent enough to make the ratio adjustments itself especially on motorways/autoroutes. However, being a little of a control freak - ordinarily, when towing on non-motorway I tend to shift to 'S' mode for earlier control/interventions when climbing to avoid the box's inclination to hang on to a higher ratio for perhaps a little longer than I would like especially when climbing on A&B (primary and secondary) roads with 'tight(ish)' bends. I find this approach makes for extra smoothness overall. I have some disappointment's with the LC5 but away from this topic...
Tractionman

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2022 21:09    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome back, mate.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> 150 Series / Prado Technical Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: