All Wheel Drive Club

The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club
Landcruiser Club - Dedicated to Toyota Landcruiser, Amazon, Colorado and Prado Owners

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
TLOCUK HomeTLOCUK Home   TLOCUK ForumsTLOCUK Forums  TLOCUK FaceBook GroupTLOCUK FaceBook Group
Click here to link to the South African LandCruiser Owners Club websiteLCCSA  Click here to link to the Australian LandCruiser Owners OnLine website - possibly the longest established Land Cruiser club on the net!LCOOL  Click here to link to the IH8MUD website - run by extremely enthusiastic Land Cruiser owners, with a fantastic source of DIY information and useful forum!IH8MUD  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

Wiring problems - Wiring diagram

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> 120 Series / Prado Technical Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ralpharama

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2021 17:54    Post subject: Wiring problems - Wiring diagram Reply with quote

My 'new' LC has a few problems and I want to try and fix them. To give me fighting chance I really need a wiring diagram and ideally a service manual.

Are there any wiring diagrams and/or service manuals available to download?

The initial problems are that the left hand windows won't open and the parking sensors make a lot of noise, but don't actually work.

Many thanks

Ralph
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2021 17:54    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

Tractionman

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2021 10:13    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ralph, the electric windows on the 120s, have a 'feature', whereby if the power is interrupted, i.e. battery disconnection, they need 're setting. You say it's the n/s ones that don't work but could it also be the o/s rear as well, leaving the drivers window only operating ?
If so to re set, with ignition on, go to each window switch individually and cycle up and down a few times, this will 're learn them.
All being well they will all operate then from the individual switches on the drivers door panel.

Parking sensors, a different matter. They are a PITA., most 120 owners have problems with these, and they are not always fixable.
On some models there is a switch to turn rears off, it's in the n/s rear side cubby, just about over the rear wheel. Check it is on, fronts have a temporary switch off button, whereby if you switch them off, next time you re start they come back on, so are not off permanently. A trick karl2000 came up with, - ignition on, run a finger over each bumper sensor individually, you should fee a 'crackling' effect if they are powered. If you have no power to them its pot luck really where the problem lies. Front and rear have their own wiring looms which are as thin as cotton, hidden behind bumpers.
Some have removed altogether and fitted other aftermarket, as although fitted by Toyota, they are another manufacture, and by other threads, they dont supply spares. You may be spending a lot of time with a multimeter to maybe sort them out.
I gave up completely and switched off/disconnected all, as too much trouble.
Tractionman

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2021 10:15    Post subject: Reply with quote

Edit. Should have said vehicle needs to be in the appropriate gear to check  them, and engine NOT running if auto, for safety.
karl2000

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2021 11:20    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good advice from TM. Dsconnect them, fit a tow bar and park it by feel Smile  A lot of people have fitted a reverse camera as well instead.

What kind of parking sensors are they?  If they are the TPA-800 ones (front and rear), the system has a limited diagnosis mode where it can beep to tell you where the fault is - ie left front sensor etc.  But you need to access a wire behind the dashboard to enable it.

My parking sensors wouldn't even power on, their ECU was broken.  However after I took the front bumper off and chopped the wiring, they now have bigger problems.  I put a reverse camera in instead.  Might get them going some day (I've got a new set in the garage) but who knows.....

For a wiring diagram, theres a Haynes manual which isn't bad.
Ralpharama

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2021 11:30    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many thanks. That's the windows sorted Smile
Ralpharama

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2021 11:41    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am mid way through fitting the reversing camera which I am 'hooking up' with the Kenwood Appleplay head unit which I have just fitted. The stock SatNav was *beep* in the ML so I fitted the Kenwood and am now transferring to the LC for the same reason Smile

The camera I have bought has the power feed at the video plug end, so I will need to get the feed for the reversing lights at the dash end of the vehicle to feed it - I don't fancy running a lead from the rear light cluster to the front unless actually essential!

Does any one know where best to pick up this feed?
Tractionman

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2021 14:39    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fuse box inside the cabin seems like a good place to start, maybe the same connection as the reversing lights ?
karl2000

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2021 15:33    Post subject: Reply with quote

According to the haynes there is a connector behind the radio meant for the navigation system which also contains a reverse feed - for exactly that purpose.
Pags 12-98 of haynes, connector B pin 14

Check it with a test light / multimeter
Tractionman

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2021 15:40    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good find Karl, job done ! 🤗
Ralpharama

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2021 16:44    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for that Karl. I went on Haynes website and they said they didn't have a book for my car  Confused

I now have the wire to the bottom of the front pillar by the windscreen Very Happy I'm going to try and feed a bit of ally welding wire over the top of the clocks to hopefully pull it through to the bit behind the head unit. I used an ISO connector to connect the Kenwood plug loom to the Toyota one. I sonder if that there is a power out on the head unit - seems optimistic, but you never know Smile

Would the diagram by any chance have the colour of the wire I'm looking for ?

I'm getting there Very Happy
karl2000

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2021 17:05    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like progress!

The wire is supposed to be RED & BLACK.  It's on an 18 pin connector, 2 rows of 9.  Its on pin 14 which right in the middle of the bottom row!  Happy Hunting!

Confusingly, the Haynes manual is for a Prado, not a Land Cruiser - you can buy the physical book on Amazon - might be a better link, but the one I used is this:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Toyota-Prado-96-Haynes-Service/dp/1563928213
Ralpharama

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2021 17:50    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have routed the wire all the way now and have the centre of the dash spewing its contents for all the world to see, but there's no 18 pin connector I can see Sad I wonder if the Prado is different to my LC? There is a small multi block with two wire going into it, one being green and one purple with white tracer.  There's another slightly heavier plug which is four way I think. Both aren't plugged into anything and are in the right location  Confused
karl2000

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2021 18:04    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your 120 is known as a Prado in other countries!

From memory I think that purple wire is a speed sensor wire.

There was a load of connectors behind mine, but don't know if there was an 18 pin.

Any red/black wires anywhere which you can test?
Ralpharama

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2021 18:36    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a good look around for red/white but couldn't see any likely candidates.

Bike wiring is soooo much more simple than cars Laughing I can make a complete new loom for a Z900 in a sensible time frame and a full wiring diagram fits on one bit o paper Very Happy
Ralpharama

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2021 18:37    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's too dark now so I'll have to go back to it in the morning Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> 120 Series / Prado Technical Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: