Milner Off-Road

The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club
Landcruiser Club - Dedicated to Toyota Landcruiser, Amazon, Colorado and Prado Owners

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
TLOCUK HomeTLOCUK Home   TLOCUK ForumsTLOCUK Forums  TLOCUK FaceBook GroupTLOCUK FaceBook Group
Click here to link to the South African LandCruiser Owners Club websiteLCCSA  Click here to link to the Australian LandCruiser Owners OnLine website - possibly the longest established Land Cruiser club on the net!LCOOL  Click here to link to the IH8MUD website - run by extremely enthusiastic Land Cruiser owners, with a fantastic source of DIY information and useful forum!IH8MUD  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

LC 80 Series. Charging delay of 90seconds on cold start-up

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> 80 Series Technical Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sycos

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2021 12:42    Post subject: LC 80 Series. Charging delay of 90seconds on cold start-up Reply with quote

Any help would be much appreciated. I have a 24 valve 1996 Vx 4.2TD with a cold-start charging problem. Starts immediately on first flick, but dashboard lights remain on for 90 seconds and the instrument voltage indicates low voltage. The alternator is not charging, even though it is new. Even replaced the internal voltage regulator with no benefit. Is there some pre-heat timer problem? The glow-plug light indicator goes out immediately after turning ignition on. Dash lights go out after 90secs and all is normal. No problem when started from hot engine.
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2021 12:42    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

rich42td

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2021 21:45    Post subject: Reply with quote

The intake grid heater runs for a similar period of time after a cold start and it will draw upto 60 amp.
On my 1997 diesel, the volt gauge does drop to 12v but there are no dash lights illuminated as you describe.

Can you put a clamp metre on both the main alternator electrical connection and positive battery leads to check the current draw after a cold start? Also check the voltage at both points.
Sycos

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2021 20:04    Post subject: LC 80 Series. Charging delay of 90seconds on cold start-up Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply. I will give a little more background info. I replaced the alternator some 2 years ago, because it took a long time to start charging after cold start. There were no dash lights on after start. The replacement did not solve the problem. As you probably know, the alternator is difficult to get out without disturbing the air conditioning compressor, so I just lived with it. Had to replace the compressor recently, so decided to try and solve the charging problem. Replaced the internal voltage regulator (garage did the work). Now the dash lights stay on for 90 seconds after cold start. I searched everywhere on the web and also in my Haynes Maintenance Manual to try to get to the bottom of it. I suspected some pre-heat timer problem, but cannot find where it is located. I have had the LC since it was a year old, so I know that this condition is not normal. If I could find the pre-heat timer and associated parts, I could at least check them.  I will need to get a clamp meter to do those checks that you suggested. I suspect that the pre-heat timer prevents the alternator charging, simply because it could not cope with a 60amp drain, but that timer should not be 90seconds. Is it possible that there is a temperature feedback to the pre-heat timer that has failed, so the timer is not switched off and simply runs for a full 90seconds instead of just a few seconds ?
Incidentally, there are 223,000 miles on the clock and the engine still purrs. Trying to get parts to do a little body refurbishment at the moment. Need a new upper tailgate door and front and back bumpers, but hard to find. Toyota are no help now. AutoDoc is good for spares but not body parts. Have to wait a while for import, but the parts are good.
ih895

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2021 12:39    Post subject: Reply with quote

Had this problem years ago, on start up the volts dropped and remained low until randomly a relay would click and the volts would return to normal. It took much head scratching and a few flat batteries until I realised the cause. I disconnected the main heavy wire to the intake heater and problem solved.
Sycos

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2021 16:00    Post subject: LC 80 Series. Charging delay of 90seconds on cold start-up Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply ih895. The problem I have is, I do not know where the intake heater is. My Haines maintenance manual is not much help. If I could attach an image of where I think it is, could you check that I have located the correct part. It looks like an aluminium box at the base of a manifold that has several cables attached. On drivers side of RHD vehicle.
Higgy

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2021 16:56    Post subject: Reply with quote

Iv had this issue for about 3 years, Truck would start first time every time and the volt reading would stay low for anything from 30 to 90 seconds.. Then a 'Click' and every thing pops onto life..... I just assumed this is how it was and never gave it another thought ....
Dave 2000

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2022 6:04    Post subject: Re: LC 80 Series. Charging delay of 90seconds on cold start- Reply with quote

Sycos wrote:
Thanks for the reply ih895. The problem I have is, I do not know where the intake heater is. My Haines maintenance manual is not much help. If I could attach an image of where I think it is, could you check that I have located the correct part. It looks like an aluminium box at the base of a manifold that has several cables attached. On drivers side of RHD vehicle.

The matrix is in the air intake to the manifold and has caused many a problem including the occasional fire from the relay under the battery tray.  I would unplug the matrix and as has been mentioned it often cures the problem, I would also check the wiring as well to the relay.  Don't be confused by the time that the glow plug warning light goes out and the 90 seconds you speak of, they are indirectly connected, the heater matrix stays on for awhile even if the dash light has gone out, this is to help with emissions.  Also note your engine being direct injection will start without the pre heat matrix unless of course you travel through Siberia.

Regards

Dave

Remember as an individual you are unique........................ just like everyone else.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> 80 Series Technical Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: