All Wheel Drive Club

The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club
Landcruiser Club - Dedicated to Toyota Landcruiser, Amazon, Colorado and Prado Owners

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
TLOCUK HomeTLOCUK Home   TLOCUK ForumsTLOCUK Forums  TLOCUK FaceBook GroupTLOCUK FaceBook Group
Click here to link to the South African LandCruiser Owners Club websiteLCCSA  Click here to link to the Australian LandCruiser Owners OnLine website - possibly the longest established Land Cruiser club on the net!LCOOL  Click here to link to the IH8MUD website - run by extremely enthusiastic Land Cruiser owners, with a fantastic source of DIY information and useful forum!IH8MUD  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

VIBRATION FELT JUST ABOVE IDLE ON 200

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> 200 Series Technical Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lometun

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2021 19:01    Post subject: VIBRATION FELT JUST ABOVE IDLE ON 200 Reply with quote

My 2014 200 runs fine but it has had a vibration that can be felt through the steering wheel and leaves the whole car with a sort of drum noise as follows...
1 - it only does this once the engine is hot - not heard it and can't repeat it during the engine warm up stage.
2 - it will do it stationary by giving it light pedal or driving.
3 - it is fine at idle and above 1200rpm - just raise rpm above idle and it starts until it gets above 1200.
4 - it does it with the air con on or off so not air con system.
5 - it has done it for the last year but only faintly - now more noticeable.
6 - I took it to the local mot guy and raised it up on ramp and noise could be heard but he couldn't track it down to anything like exhaust loose etc.

SO TO SUM IT UP - ABOUT 800 RPM SETS IT OFF - HAS TO BE HOT - VIBRATES THE STEERING WHEEL AND CAN FEEL THE CAR DRUMMING UP FRONT - WOULD SAY DRIVERS SIDE FRONT AROUND ENGINE.

Car has only done 33000 miles and has full Toyota service history with 1 careful owner. It has the warranty extension so I would like to get it sorted but where to start?
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2021 19:01    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

NEVILLE

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2021 13:47    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does the vibration continue once you start to drive and the car has reached operating temperature?
lometun

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2021 16:18    Post subject: VIBRATION FELT JUST ABOVE IDLE ON 200 Reply with quote

It doesn't seem to do it until it gets to operating temperature then just above idle to around 1500rpm, either stationary or driving.
It seems to be getting worse as time goes by but every now and then it seems to not do it as bad for a few miles then it's back again.
A vibration can be felt going through the car and it can be felt through the pedals, handbrake lever, and placing hand on the transmission tunnel.
I'm sort of leaning towards exhaust internal fault or torque converter just because of the vibrations felt, but i am just guessing.
whatever it is it needs to be hot before it makes itself known.
NEVILLE

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2021 10:35    Post subject: Re: VIBRATION FELT JUST ABOVE IDLE ON 200 Reply with quote

lometun wrote:

I'm sort of leaning towards exhaust internal fault or torque converter just because of the vibrations felt, but i am just guessing.
whatever it is it needs to be hot before it makes itself known.

That's what i was about to propose too. However the 200 series comes with a very high quality exhaust from factory. So unless it has come loose from a mounting or you've managed to damage it somehow offroad,  it may not be that.
lometun

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2021 11:24    Post subject: VIBRATION Reply with quote

This car has never been off road, never towed, never thrashed, only used sparingly,  and lives quite the easy life.
It is a puzzle at the moment.
lometun

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2021 16:31    Post subject: PROBLEM NOW FIXED Reply with quote

This turned out to be a problem with the heater hoses near to the back of the engine banging loudly and vibrating once they got hot.
Although they deny it, Toyota must know of the problem because the dealer fixed it for 1 hours labour and although they are now very tight I can't see that anything has been done to them.
The unbalance felt at low revs is normal for the engine, they all have it so not a problem.
Car runs fine as always and now sounds great as well.
Paul G

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2021 21:35    Post subject: VIBRATION Reply with quote

Thank goodness!!
You have described exactly what I have been experiencing for over two years on 2011 200 Series.
It has been investigated previously by 'an experienced Landcruiser Master Tech' without being rectified.
The car is booked into Jemca Toyota Colindale for service/MOT next week and I shall be giving them details of your findings in the hope they will cure the vibration.
Will let you know how I get on.
lometun

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2021 18:36    Post subject: VIBRATION FELT JUST ABOVE IDLE ON 200 Reply with quote

It is very deceiving as it feels like a major issue causing the whole car to vibrate and the last place I was thinking about was a couple of vibrating hoses, but yes it has never been back since the simple fix.
I was just saying today that the car is over 7 years old now and although low miles of around 33000, it has never had any problems at all, everything works just as good as it did when I collected it new.
Paul G

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2021 19:29    Post subject: Reply with quote

The tech at Jemca has found two broken heater hose clamps, just as you indicated.
New parts arrive in two days then happy motoring and no more worrying noise, I can't wait.
lometun

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2021 20:14    Post subject: VIBRATION FELT JUST ABOVE IDLE ON 200 Reply with quote

Let us know how it goes once you've had a chance to try it out.
Like a different vehicle in my case as I was getting well fed up with the vibration.
Paul G

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2022 14:50    Post subject: VIBRATION FELT JUST ABOVE IDLE ON 200 Reply with quote

Thank you Lometun
I have been enjoying my 'new' 200 so much since the repair I forgot to let you know:
It is fantastic, a different drive altogether, no more waiting for that annoying vibration to appear once the engine warmed up.
I hope anyone suffering with there Landcruiser finds this forum post and gets it fixed.
Very Happy  Very Happy  Very Happy
Paul G

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2022 14:51    Post subject: Reply with quote

*their
lometun

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2022 19:45    Post subject: VIBRATION FELT JUST ABOVE IDLE ON 200 Reply with quote

I'm glad I was able to post something that genuinely was of use to another owner.
Deceiving problem, makes driving a chore but once it is fixed it's like a different car.
On another note, I have had the car 8 years soon and it has never had a single fault that required a warranty repair ( yes still under extended warranty until 2023 then 1 more year afterwards = 10 year warranty)
Tractionman

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2022 20:10    Post subject: Reply with quote

👍👍
nathanv8

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2024 20:31    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey guys I’m having exactly the same issue so I’m so glad I found this post, by any chance do you have some images of the pipes in question ? Or an image in the general location as I’ve asked the dealer to have a look and they could not locate the issue.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> 200 Series Technical Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: