2Gether FS : 01945 585322

The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club
Landcruiser Club - Dedicated to Toyota Landcruiser, Amazon, Colorado and Prado Owners

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
TLOCUK HomeTLOCUK Home   TLOCUK ForumsTLOCUK Forums  TLOCUK FaceBook GroupTLOCUK FaceBook Group
Click here to link to the South African LandCruiser Owners Club websiteLCCSA  Click here to link to the Australian LandCruiser Owners OnLine website - possibly the longest established Land Cruiser club on the net!LCOOL  Click here to link to the IH8MUD website - run by extremely enthusiastic Land Cruiser owners, with a fantastic source of DIY information and useful forum!IH8MUD  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

locking wheel bolts

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> General Technical Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dafydd Wynn Williams

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2021 10:20    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes it would be my good fortune to have a puncture in this wheel rather than in one of the other three, so not daring to use the car till I get the bolt loosened.  Its thankful that I decided to change these bolts now and discovered the problem rather than be stuck god-knows-where with a flat and needing recovery.

Dafydd   WW
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2021 10:20    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

Dafydd Wynn Williams

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2021 11:33    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hurrah,   pesky locked up wheel locking bolt removed.   Village garage mig welded 14mm steel nut on the head of locking nut and then enough force could be applied to loosen it.  Thanks to all who offered advice on the problem.

Incidentally if anyone can make uses of 4 new   14mm   flat seat Toyota alloy wheel bolts their welcome to them for the cost of postage.  I ordered them in error before finding mine were 12mm.

a relieved Dafydd   WW
Tractionman

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2021 13:42    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good to hear it was a simple ? fix Dafydd, and info shared for anyone else. 👏
Ralpharama

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2021 10:24    Post subject: Reply with quote

i soooo feel your pain - I had serious pain and grief with the locking wheel nuts on my ML. One was an absolute P in the A to get out and despite being lent the industry standard shifter of son of a preacherman wheel bolts from a manufacturer, all failed. Luckily there is an expert remover in the locality who got the errant bolt out. For someone to make a living from simply removing wheel bolts must suggest that this is a widespread problem. All replaced with stock bolts now.

I want to change all the locking bolts from my 120. Anyone know what size bolts I need to get?
Tractionman

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2021 12:13    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you buy specific nuts for your vehicle, which they need to be, they should be the correct size/taper.
Mine are 12mm x 1.5 thread pitch and take a 21mm socket. Roughtrax do some amongst many others, and its not difficult to check sizing with them, forums or a quick web search to confirm.
Dafydd Wynn Williams

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2021 12:46    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Ralpharama,  Like TM, my bolts/nuts are 12mm thread, 21mm socket, flat seat with washer, for alloy rims.   My bus is a 2004  120  SWB  I got mine through e bay

Welding on a 14mm plain steel nut to a stuck locking bolt was a quick and certain solution. You do of course need a MIG welder to avoid heat discoloration of the wheel. I also drilled out the centre of the steel nut to 16mm to give a little more room to weld in, but that's not essential.

Dafydd   WW
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> General Technical Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: