Adrian Flux : 0800 916 1257

The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club
Landcruiser Club - Dedicated to Toyota Landcruiser, Amazon, Colorado and Prado Owners

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
TLOCUK HomeTLOCUK Home   TLOCUK ForumsTLOCUK Forums  TLOCUK FaceBook GroupTLOCUK FaceBook Group
Click here to link to the South African LandCruiser Owners Club websiteLCCSA  Click here to link to the Australian LandCruiser Owners OnLine website - possibly the longest established Land Cruiser club on the net!LCOOL  Click here to link to the IH8MUD website - run by extremely enthusiastic Land Cruiser owners, with a fantastic source of DIY information and useful forum!IH8MUD  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

Halting corrosion

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> General Technical Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tractionman

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2021 10:48    Post subject: Reply with quote

A good tool if doing total rebuilds with engine out for underbody work, welding etc, but turning a vehicle on its side with fluids in that is then going to be driven away doesn't strike me as a good idea.
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2021 10:48    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

karl2000

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2021 11:57    Post subject: Reply with quote

AKA don't do it!
Dafydd Wynn Williams

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2021 13:16    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, for a chassis ideal, but for a complete car no way for so many reasons.

Probably have to employ a Heath Robinson arrangement of pallets or Heston big straw bales, or a proper car ramp, which I would prefer and could be used for other jobs.

Karl, surely a marked ramp with the weight capabilities & sold in UK  would have to be safe?

Dafydd   WW
karl2000

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2021 13:30    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dafydd Wynn Williams wrote:

Karl, surely a marked ramp with the weight capabilities & sold in UK  would have to be safe?

Hi Dafydd, well you would hope so wouldn't you.  I suppose it depends how much cheaper it is than the rest - you get what you pay for!

Problem with something like that is, if it fails, you ain't going to be making a claim under the guarantee.  Be careful mate, that's all I'm saying.

That something is sold in the UK is no guarantee these days - there is loads of stuff for sale on major websites which turns out to be unsafe - there was a report recently on dodgy electrical goods.
Tractionman

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2021 16:09    Post subject: Reply with quote

DWW, if you have nowhere convenient for a pit, how will a decent 4 poster fit ?
The 4 poster will need dedicated, maybe 3 phase wired electric and more room, the pit, when not in use will be boarded so becomes part of the landscape again.
Have you got a telehandler on the farm ? Consider using that with sleepers along the chassis rails to spread the load without doing damage, and then lift it on any safe base you make out of pallets/sleepers/bales to required height. 🙄
Wildmutt

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2021 23:08    Post subject: Reply with quote

What about one of those high ramps that car dealers display their new cars on the forecourt? Would one of them be high enough? They must take the vehicle up about three feet.

Keeping everyone happy is impossible. Pissing them off is a piece of cake......I like cake.
Dafydd Wynn Williams

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2021 13:17    Post subject: Reply with quote

TM - been on the lookout for a reasonable bargain telehandler for the last couple of years , but still looking. Would be so handy for all sorts of jobs  Little or no level ground here but the cobbled approach to one shed would be OK for a ramp (drive straight over to get to shed) but a shame to construct a pit through the cobbles.

Got the sleepers, just need the telehandler now!

Wildmutt - In my youth, before leaving home, we had a pit only  about 4 ' deep which gave you severe back and neck ache each time you did any work on the car.  So it has to be a full standing height situation for me to contemplate any chassis attention. Otherwise a good suggestion.

Dafydd   WW
Dafydd Wynn Williams

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2021 16:47    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone know where to get a 'hook' extension to suit a Shcutz type spray gun?  i.e a tube bent at 90 deg with a female thread on one end and a male thread on the other, to unscrew the gun nozzle, screw in the tube and then screw in the the nozzle onto the tube.  Thus be able to spray into channels, topside of chassis rails etc.

Dafydd   WW
karl2000

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2021 18:17    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used a flexible hose with a 360 nozzle on the end of it
Dafydd Wynn Williams

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2021 18:33    Post subject: Reply with quote

the  problem with that is the 360 deg spread, whereas all you need is a 'normal' spread pattern directed where needed. with 360 deg (which I have) most will dissipate and fall to the ground.

Iv'e seen them for airless sprays but not for Schutz type sprays.

Dafydd    WW
karl2000

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2021 19:32    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ahh I wasn't being that accurate - Lanoguard got sprayed everywhere!
Tractionman

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2021 13:17    Post subject: Reply with quote

Same here, as long as everything gets covered (except me) it's not precision engineering. I had an old tarp spread on the block paving, and drove the lc on it to protect it from the few drips, just going slow and steady with the gun.
Juddian

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2021 4:13    Post subject: Reply with quote

As some of the lads above i use 4 x ramps and drive the motor straight up onto them.

However if i was younger i'd buy a set of these ex car display ramps, and add some supports to the frame if i wasn't too sure about a 2 ton vehicle sitting on them for days at a time, with me underneath.

e bay number 164903419658

If the vehicle is already rusty underneath not sure i'd bother with BH's stuff, and would instead spray the whole underside and inside the chassis and sills etc with chain lube, i use ACF50 for this purpose because i still have some in stock but when that's gone chain lube will do.
I give the undersides a recoat twice a year, takes about 20 mins, filthy job (arnt they all) so make sure you have some old carpets or lots of cardboard to lay out underneath if its on your driveway or the boss (our significant others)  might be on the warpath.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> General Technical Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: