2Gether FS : 01945 585322

The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club
Landcruiser Club - Dedicated to Toyota Landcruiser, Amazon, Colorado and Prado Owners

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
TLOCUK HomeTLOCUK Home   TLOCUK ForumsTLOCUK Forums  TLOCUK FaceBook GroupTLOCUK FaceBook Group
Click here to link to the South African LandCruiser Owners Club websiteLCCSA  Click here to link to the Australian LandCruiser Owners OnLine website - possibly the longest established Land Cruiser club on the net!LCOOL  Click here to link to the IH8MUD website - run by extremely enthusiastic Land Cruiser owners, with a fantastic source of DIY information and useful forum!IH8MUD  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

headlights

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> 100 Series / Amazon Technical Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ryan

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2021 15:02    Post subject: headlights Reply with quote

Hi Guys,

Any ideas how to improve the poor headlights on the 100 series? been looking HID projector units but thought maybe upgraded bulbs in the first instance may help? anyone fitted 100w bulbs? (i know they will not be road legal but if the beam pattern is OK they should cause a problem to other drivers?)
Ryan
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2021 15:02    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

RAF

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2021 23:52    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello all,

this is my first or second post so I am a newbie. Hi.

Please can anybody tell me what LED headlights/ fog lights/side lights i can purchase to upgrade as my lights are too dull.

Hal***ds checked them and said they dont do them, the fitter did say they are HB3 AND HB4 (he couldnt pull the side lights out so i dont know about that one) i will try myself soon.

is it just a case of purchasing any HB4/HB3 LED bulbs from A**z*N or the like? or do they have to be something with specific fittings to my 1999 Amazon vx 4.7 petrol ?
Juddian

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2021 0:19    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't get involved with LED's until you've tried Osram Nightbreakers or Philips Extreme uprated halogen bulbs first.
Have these in both H4 (headlight) and the foglights, much improved over the standard bulbs poor output in the 120 series light designs, also lasting very well.

If you decide to go LED, i haven't but have kept up with the many conversations around this subject, the general consensus is don't go cheap unheard of tat, go for a well known make which will invariably be 2 or more times the price of tat that lasts 5 minutes ruins the beam pattern and causes blinding to others when they do work.
karl2000

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2021 0:59    Post subject: Reply with quote

+1 on the Osram Nightbreakers - I think they made a noticeable difference.  Nightbreaker 200's are the latest ones I think.

I've put LED's on the stop/tail lights and reverse lights (TM's recommended bulbs made a massive difference).
RAF

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2021 1:20    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you so much for your help and reply. I will check them out.👍
RAF

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2021 10:26    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am ordering osram halogen bulbs, I decided not to try led bulbs for the exterior, whilst I am at it tho, I wouldn't mind ordering LED bulbs for the interior map lights, am I right in thinking I need T10 LED bulbs for the front map light /doors.

also for the middle row, and boot/tail light, can any one guide me on the size /or a product link. Would it be 29mm or 31mm?
RAF

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2021 10:06    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just installed osram night breaker laser +150 and osram cool blue intense
W5W  for side lights.

It feels a little brighter whilst driving

From looking at the the land cruiser From outside the original bulbs looked much better (jn my opinion) with the original bulbs it just seems like the whole headlight unit lit up as one solid piece with a nice vintage glow

With the new osram  w5w it just looks like a small dot of white light and the rest of the reflector looks un-lit.

With the osram HB4 bulb the top part looks lit, but the bottom part  of the reflector (full beam area)doesn't look lit anymore, looks like a small square headlight now.

I still have the old bulbs if I ever want that original vintage look
karl2000

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2021 11:00    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you got the h4 bulbs in the right way around?
Juddian

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2021 18:08    Post subject: Reply with quote

The bottom part of the headlight shouldn't be brightly lit unless on full beam, what you are now noticing is that the top half (dipped beam refelector area) is brighter than before so the bottom half looks like its in shadow, you have better light, but as Karl says, worth double checking they are seated correctly.
Are the lenses clear or do they, like mine did, need a good rub down with metal polish to remove the layer which UV has damaged.

I put standard Osram side light bulbs in mine ( not blue) and yes compared with the brighter headlights they do look dull.
RAF

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2021 4:13    Post subject: Reply with quote

They are kind of at an angle, it's the only way I could get a tight fit. It needs an M.O.T now so I will find out soon.

The lens look clean enough.

I've been trying to post pics but haven't figured out how to yet ( will do soon)

BTW happy new year everyone
RAF

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2021 4:27    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is me attempting to post a before and after pick

https://www.dropbox.com/s/uuo0srg1fyd8p0b/IMG_20211224_142442457.jpg?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/lad7a3kqf0htl7h/IMG_20211229_121326715_HDR.jpg?dl=0
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> 100 Series / Amazon Technical Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: