NFU Mutual - click to link

The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club
Landcruiser Club - Dedicated to Toyota Landcruiser, Amazon, Colorado and Prado Owners

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
TLOCUK HomeTLOCUK Home   TLOCUK ForumsTLOCUK Forums  TLOCUK FaceBook GroupTLOCUK FaceBook Group
Click here to link to the South African LandCruiser Owners Club websiteLCCSA  Click here to link to the Australian LandCruiser Owners OnLine website - possibly the longest established Land Cruiser club on the net!LCOOL  Click here to link to the IH8MUD website - run by extremely enthusiastic Land Cruiser owners, with a fantastic source of DIY information and useful forum!IH8MUD  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

Brake pedal sinking

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> 120 Series / Prado Technical Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
plantmachinery

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2022 19:54    Post subject: Brake pedal sinking Reply with quote

Hi all, my brake pedal is sinking if you press pedal gently,
i suspect master cylinder, bleed brakes all round but sill no better,
i have had a price of £3,000 for a new unit,
is there a seal kit i can buy or does anyone overhaul them

Many thanks
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2022 19:54    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

plantmachinery

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2022 19:57    Post subject: Re: Brake pedal sinking Reply with quote

Hi all, my brake pedal is sinking if you press pedal gently,
i suspect master cylinder, bleed brakes all round but sill no better,
i have had a price of £3,000 for a new unit,
is there a seal kit i can buy or does anyone overhaul them

Many thanks
Landcruiser D4d 2005 auto
karl2000

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2022 1:26    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is the hose to your vacuum pump, and the pump itself OK?
sheepish

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2022 9:14    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is this car stopped. Engine running. Foot on brake and the pedal sinks if you push it harder than is needed to keep the car stopped? Mine has done that since I got it with 70K miles on. And now at 220K miles it still does it. Never got "worse". And I've read loads of other 120s do the same thing. I can't tell you that it is meant to happen, but it seems normal if described as above. if it does it when you're trying to slow when moving then an entirely different problem.
plantmachinery

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2022 9:37    Post subject: Reply with quote

if its stopped it doesn't happen, but if you start it and press hard on the pedal is does not drop. but if you gently applying pressure the pedal will slowly sink to the floor. as soon as you release the pedal is back to how it should be
sheepish

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2022 11:33    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, by stopped I meant not moving. Rather than the engine being off. What you are describing sounds exactly how mine behaves and how I have read many other 120s behave. I don't know if it is right or wrong. I can only say it's never felt a problem when I want to slow down.
Tractionman

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2022 16:04    Post subject: Reply with quote

Plantmachinery,  It might help if you answered ALL the posts in order trying to help you with your problem rather than ignoring them !
plantmachinery

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2022 18:11    Post subject: Reply with quote

the master cylinder is the vacuum pump abs module everything all built in one, cant see a way of checking pump but when you bleed rear brakes pump come in and pumps fluid out.

when the engine is running you can stand on the brakes and does not disappear, but if you press gently like coming up to a junction the pedal slowly drops lower and lower but as soon as you press harder is fine.

does anyone know if you can buy a seal kit for master cylinder or does anyone overhaul them
thanks
karl2000

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2022 21:39    Post subject: Reply with quote

I meant the vacuum pump thats on the front left of the engine, directly opposite the vane pump.  I think that provides the vacuum to the servo thats built into the module you're talking about.

Does sound like a master cylinder seal to me though tbh, is it possible that someone was over eager when bleeding the brakes - apparently if its pushed past its normal travel area, it can cause trouble.

Last I looked on partsouq the complete module was about $1200 - expensive but better than £3k !
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> 120 Series / Prado Technical Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: