All Wheel Drive Club

The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club
Landcruiser Club - Dedicated to Toyota Landcruiser, Amazon, Colorado and Prado Owners

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
TLOCUK HomeTLOCUK Home   TLOCUK ForumsTLOCUK Forums  TLOCUK FaceBook GroupTLOCUK FaceBook Group
Click here to link to the South African LandCruiser Owners Club websiteLCCSA  Click here to link to the Australian LandCruiser Owners OnLine website - possibly the longest established Land Cruiser club on the net!LCOOL  Click here to link to the IH8MUD website - run by extremely enthusiastic Land Cruiser owners, with a fantastic source of DIY information and useful forum!IH8MUD  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

LC5 on 03 plate intermittently dropping power

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> 120 Series / Prado Technical Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Debbie

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2022 16:41    Post subject: LC5 on 03 plate intermittently dropping power Reply with quote

Hi. I’ve owned by LC5 for 8 years and it’s recently started dropping power. Garage have hooked it up but due to its age the fault code apparently doesn’t show an exact location for the fault. It’s an 03 plate with 170000 miles and diesel.

Not going in to full limp mode but the revs flat line and take up to 15 seconds to respond to my right foot. It always seems to be around the 2000 Rev level. Does seem a bit worse first thing but don’t believe it’s a cold start thing as first time it happened I was 45 miles into a 55 mile journey and hoofing it down the M27.

Garage say best guess is two sensors on the fuel pump but at £500 it’s an expensive guess. They agreed and said they’re reluctant to do them and find the fault still exists. I do regular motorway driving and don’t hang around so they don’t think it’s the DPF.

It had a hideous problem initially when I bought it that took 5 garages and about £2000 to solve where the valve in the air intake pipe was sticking closed but at that time the engine used to just cut out.

Any ideas please. They’ve got a guy coming to the garage tomorrow with a different diagnostic package but they say they can’t guarantee they’ll have any more idea afterwards.

Would a main dealer be any better or is it just time to accept she’s on her way out. Regular servicing etc and timing belt done 2 months ago. Please help  Sad  Sad
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2022 16:41    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

Juddian

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2022 17:50    Post subject: Reply with quote

First thing get the fuel filter changed
Debbie

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2022 17:55    Post subject: Reply with quote

Juddian wrote:
First thing get the fuel filter changed

Thanks. They did that 2 weeks ago I believe
TONYCY11

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2022 18:08    Post subject: Reply with quote

I too agree with the garage but they are not sensors  they are suction control valves in your case red and green and at 170k miles and 19 years are almost certainly worn out or dirty . you can get them cheaper from rough trax .com for around 215 quid delivered and are genuine toyota parts . a professional mechanic should be able to fit them in 1 hour or less .
Debbie

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2022 18:26    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the tip,on the cheaper supplier. I’ll mention it to the garage if nothing else shows up with the different computer and diagnostics  Smile
TONYCY11

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2022 20:02    Post subject: Reply with quote

PS make sure you have the maf sensor cleaned with compressed air or maf sensor cleaner as a dirty or faulty maf sensor can give the same symtoms that you are having and if that is the case it will be a very cheap fix .
Debbie

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2022 23:00    Post subject: Reply with quote

TONYCY11 wrote:
PS make sure you have the maf sensor cleaned with compressed air or maf sensor cleaner as a dirty or faulty maf sensor can give the same symtoms that you are having and if that is the case it will be a very cheap fix .

Omg. Just googled about this and it looks like the same bit the garage had to modify years ago to stop the valve on the air intake pipe getting stuck in the closed position. I keep thinking it’s so similar in nature as before when it happened albeit intermittently it always typically cut out around the 2000 Rev point. It’s generally around that level that I’m now intermittently getting the flatline response. I’ll certainly talk to the garage about this tomorrow. Thanks so much fir your time and expertise  Smile
karl2000

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2022 22:56    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great advice from Tony and Jud as usual.  MAF sensor was my first thought - I think we had a case recently on here where even though the MAF sensor was clean and looked fine, it was shot - similar symptoms and replacing with a new one fixed the problem.

TBH, if you're keeping the car, it wouldn't hurt to get the SCV's and MAF sensor done.  Sooner or later, both will go!
Debbie

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2022 10:35    Post subject: Reply with quote

karl2000 wrote:
Great advice from Tony and Jud as usual.  MAF sensor was my first thought - I think we had a case recently on here where even though the MAF sensor was clean and looked fine, it was shot - similar symptoms and replacing with a new one fixed the problem.

TBH, if you're keeping the car, it wouldn't hurt to get the SCV's and MAF sensor done.  Sooner or later, both will go!

The other guy with his different diagnostic kit also thought the SCVs and between them they’re saying they’re 80-90% certain tho can’t be 100%. They’re ordering them in and I’ll ask them to do the MAF sensor at the same time. He says the fault code isn’t pointing them to that area but as you say it can’t hurt. Just hoping it’s not much longer self employed and need my car to work 🥺🥺🥺

Thanks for your input x
karl2000

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2022 11:28    Post subject: Reply with quote

From what I understand, neither a failing MAF nor a failing SCV can be relied on to give a sensible fault code.  

You might get a low fuel pressure code for an SCV, but apart from that unless its an electrical problem I dont think you'll get anything.

MAF sensor is an easy job, you can replace it yourself in 2 min, its just two screws and a plug.  Even if you dont do it yourself, they cant charge you much labour for that!

Fingers crossed - please keep us updated
Debbie

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2022 15:33    Post subject: Reply with quote

karl2000 wrote:
From what I understand, neither a failing MAF nor a failing SCV can be relied on to give a sensible fault code.  

You might get a low fuel pressure code for an SCV, but apart from that unless its an electrical problem I dont think you'll get anything.

MAF sensor is an easy job, you can replace it yourself in 2 min, its just two screws and a plug.  Even if you dont do it yourself, they cant charge you much labour for that!

Fingers crossed - please keep us updated

Thanks Karl. Yes everything crossed as they’ve ordered the parts now 🤞🤞🤞
Debbie

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2022 19:11    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to update you they did the fuel pump suction valve things and cleaned up the MAF sensor Tuesday afternoon and she’s running like a dream.

Road trip 65 miles to Dorset to see mum yesterday and she was foot perfect for the round trip. Happy days. She lives on 😁❤️🙏🏻🥰
karl2000

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2022 19:53    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brilliant!  Thanks for letting us know!
TONYCY11

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2022 17:16    Post subject: Reply with quote

👍😃
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> 120 Series / Prado Technical Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: