4x4 & MPV Driver - 40% subscription discount

The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club
Landcruiser Club - Dedicated to Toyota Landcruiser, Amazon, Colorado and Prado Owners

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
TLOCUK HomeTLOCUK Home   TLOCUK ForumsTLOCUK Forums  TLOCUK FaceBook GroupTLOCUK FaceBook Group
Click here to link to the South African LandCruiser Owners Club websiteLCCSA  Click here to link to the Australian LandCruiser Owners OnLine website - possibly the longest established Land Cruiser club on the net!LCOOL  Click here to link to the IH8MUD website - run by extremely enthusiastic Land Cruiser owners, with a fantastic source of DIY information and useful forum!IH8MUD  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

Emissions

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> 120 Series / Prado Technical Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Markus1967

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2022 14:02    Post subject: Emissions Reply with quote

To everyone

These past few months I have been working tirelessly on how to reduce my emissions and I've cracked it, manufacturers emissions should be 1.2 I have reduced it down to 0.45 which is around two thirds which is a major achievement, and because of it I can get my classification reduced thus preventing me from paying too much on Road Tax.

Now I'd like to try and get my LC to run on Bio-Diesel so does anyone know about this and whether it can be done and if so, how?
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2022 14:02    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

Beekeeper

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2022 20:19    Post subject: Reply with quote

As far as I know, in the UK they won't reduce the tax on an individual vehicle as it's based on controlled measurements on samples of that model submitted by the manufacturer.

If you're after renewable fuel than HVO can be delivered if you have a tank.  If you're looking to save money then you can buy the equipment to convert vegetable oil into biodiesel.  In the UK there is no duty payable up to a certain quantity for your own use.
Tractionman

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2022 9:23    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agree Beekeeper, I thought road tax was based on controlled manufacturers emissions figures too.

I would be interested in any info where road tax could be reduced, whilst not interfering with manufacturers design, i.e. deleting egr and letting gases go to air rather than recycling back into the engine.
TonyC is well up on methods to improve on manufacturers specs documented on here, but as he says, it wont pass mot if the methods are picked up. The hose reconfiguration vented to air being one.
karl2000

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2022 12:23    Post subject: Reply with quote

What did you do to get the emissions down?

Road tax is only going one way I'm afraid Sad
Tractionman

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2022 13:03    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good question Karl.
That would be very interesting knowledge to pass on to forum, we could all do with cleaner more efficient engines that lower road tax.

I can get zero emissions on mine if I try, - dont use it ! 🤔🤣
Markus1967

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2022 8:19    Post subject: Emissions Reply with quote

Thank you for all your replies, upon speaking to the mot tester I asked that should anyone reduce emissions lower than manufacturers recommendations then the ministry will conduct their own tests and if they concur with the tester then the necessary changes can be made, we are approaching 2030 where we're all supposed to go electric, however, if one can prove that the emissions are significantly lower along with lower rpm at higher speeds and it's documented then one could argue that I'm doing my bit for the environment

So on that note I'll keep you posted
karl2000

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2022 10:00    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good luck!  I think you'll hit too many brick walls though - I wonder if anyone has ever succeeded in doing it before?
Juddian

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2022 10:56    Post subject: Reply with quote

Be most interested in what happens here.
Our Forester 2.5XT goes into the £600 tax bracket,  running on LPG the emissions are almost unreadably low.

We do however get a £10 discount for dual fuel status.
Tractionman

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2022 16:28    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hope you succeed Markus, but as Karl says there will be too many brick walls.
No details of your testing yet.
The ministry aren't interested in testing 'one off's' or many all over the country, they are happy just taking the money for their perceived green fight that many countries ignore. We all breath the same air.
If they did agree to test any vehicles, owners will be paying for their/engineers reports etc, and most likely you will lose your vehicle while they are doing it. A day, a week, a month, as they will want to trial it, and if they disagree, even if you are right, try arguing with government liars.
I have just taxed mine, £615 FFS !!!
Good luck.
Beekeeper

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2022 21:53    Post subject: Reply with quote

Two different kinds of emissions here.  CO2 which the road tax is based on, and pollutants such as carbon monoxide, nitrous oxides, soot particles etc which the MOT tests for.  Can't see anyone getting CO2 down enough on a 2 tonne vehicle to get cheap road tax.  CO2 is just fuel consumption measured in a different way.
Tractionman

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2022 21:57    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good point there Beekeeper, maybe if Markus gave details of what he's done, we will have a better insight.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> 120 Series / Prado Technical Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: