Atlas Overland Adventure Tours

The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club
Landcruiser Club - Dedicated to Toyota Landcruiser, Amazon, Colorado and Prado Owners

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
TLOCUK HomeTLOCUK Home   TLOCUK ForumsTLOCUK Forums  TLOCUK FaceBook GroupTLOCUK FaceBook Group
Click here to link to the South African LandCruiser Owners Club websiteLCCSA  Click here to link to the Australian LandCruiser Owners OnLine website - possibly the longest established Land Cruiser club on the net!LCOOL  Click here to link to the IH8MUD website - run by extremely enthusiastic Land Cruiser owners, with a fantastic source of DIY information and useful forum!IH8MUD  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

Hello from a G Wagon owner!! Advice needed!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> New member introductions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
chilipepper

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 15:26    Post subject: Hello from a G Wagon owner!! Advice needed! Reply with quote

Just joined the forum as I'm thinking of buying a LC Amazon this summer to replace my current Mercedes G Wagon.

I moved to the G's after years of defender's / discovery's, (they sometimes get stuck!)I love the my G's off road ability with the 3 diff locks, it's never got stuck unlike the defender/disco, but it's not quick enough on the motorway.

I use it as a second car when I know it's going to be dificult terrain or weather, with an ML for most of my road work (I'm a contractor who travels long distances and then needs to cross muddy fields without support of another vehicle to pull me out.

Someone on the G Wagon forum suggested looking at an Amazon but was shot down for making such a remark on the forum.

So what's your advice, with the right all terrain tyres what should I be looking for and where should I be looking? Budget £15K

Thanks
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 15:26    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

Wandering Willy

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 15:57    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Chilipepper

I bough a 2002 GX Amazon last July for £13,000 with 53,000 miles on it and am very pleased with the vehicle. The significance of it being a GX rather than a VX is that it doesn't have leather trim, electric seats or the self leveling suspension. Since this seems to cause a few problems I was happy to go for the lower spec model.

My car was (and still is) quite tatty regarding paintwork; lots of scratches and a few dents. But I can deal with them so preferred this to an earlier 'prettier' car with more miles on it.

I can only speak for this car as it's my first 4X4. It's a diesel automatic and very good to drive; quiet and comfortable. But I am a boring old f**rt so probably cause moans from other road users since my speeds are at or below the legal limit most of the time. Around town you are conscious of the size of the thing which is another reason for taking it nice and steady.

The S&M Michelins on when I got it were pretty worn and I wanted some tyres with a bit more off-road capability. After poking around a few web sites I got some Yokohama Geolanders. They are quiet on the road, seem to have reasonable grip and are chunky enough to cope with muddy slopes. I have a 24 acre smallholding which I am developing (hence the choice of car) and use the car to pull a large horse box type trailer which it does nicely.

I could have gone for Goodrich ATs or similar but was afraid of them being noisy on tarmac and perhaps with their stiffer sidewalls a little less capable in mud or soft soil.

Going back to the choice of car. You should be able to get a nice 2003 car for £15,000. If you prefer petrol and don't mind having an LPG conversion (for economy), the V8 Amazon comes with lots of goodies. The diesel can be manual or automatic and has a central diff lock and one on the back axle. I think the petrol model is always automatic and uses the ABS as a sort of traction control system rather than having diff locks, but I may be wrong on this.

After checking recently, I seem to be getting around 24 mpg with my sedate motoring. Using the air conditioning drops this to around 20 and towing the trailer takes it down further (no exact figures but 18 or there abouts seems likely).

Good luck with your purchase.

Willy
mbw13

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 5:53    Post subject: Reply with quote

For something which is of similar shape to a G-Wagon, a 70 series would be the way to go.

The brand new 70 series 5 door wagon is sold here and in NZ with a 4.5L TDI v8 as standard.  Shocked

Must say I'm a fan of the G-Wagon, looks like a nice machine, never been lucky enough to see one in real life though.  Sad

Mike.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> New member introductions All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: