NFU Mutual - click to link

The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club
Landcruiser Club - Dedicated to Toyota Landcruiser, Amazon, Colorado and Prado Owners

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
TLOCUK HomeTLOCUK Home   TLOCUK ForumsTLOCUK Forums  TLOCUK FaceBook GroupTLOCUK FaceBook Group
Click here to link to the South African LandCruiser Owners Club websiteLCCSA  Click here to link to the Australian LandCruiser Owners OnLine website - possibly the longest established Land Cruiser club on the net!LCOOL  Click here to link to the IH8MUD website - run by extremely enthusiastic Land Cruiser owners, with a fantastic source of DIY information and useful forum!IH8MUD  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

More power from a 100 td

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> 100 Series / Amazon Technical Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rmurphy5

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2005 14:14    Post subject: More power from a 100 td Reply with quote

Hi, I have a 1999 100 4.2 td amazon and was wodering what I can do for more power. I have a chip on order. I was wondering if anyone has removed the cat? Also is there an exhaust recycling system on them?

It seems very smothered compared to my old 80 series with just the 12 valve diesel although this was van aaken optimised.

Thanks in advance.

Regards,

Rohan Murphy
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2005 14:14    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

Towpack

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2005 17:32    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does it have an intercooler fitted.If not that's probably the best route to take for BHP per £.Especially if you're having it chipped.I disconnected the EGR valves on my (earlier) 24v TD which seemed to improve things slightly but mine doesn't have the electronic injection/engine management system.Doing this on yours could cause problems for the ECU.Removing the cat could make it fail the MOT emmissions test.

1998 HDJ80 Amazon VX 4.2TD
2004 Yamaha R1 (Sold)
2011 Ducati 1198SP (Sold)
2012 kawasaki ZZr1400
2002 Honda XR650R (BRP)- STOLEN GRRRRR!!!
2010 Husaberg FE570....YIPPEEEEE!!!!
2003 GT XCR3000
1995 Border Collie-Passed away 23-5-2011
rmurphy5

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2005 1:05    Post subject: 100 td Reply with quote

The MOT test is okay as the guy is fairly obliging who does them. As for the EGR valves I will have to look into this. The car does have an intercooler. With the extra valves, loos of the cat along with a K& N should help it make better use of them you would think.
lucky
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2005 12:20    Post subject: Reply with quote

Removing a late model EGR will probably make little difference. The later ones are electronic rather than vacuum operated and are very reliable and only operate when they are needed so don't sap the power like the old ones do.

The chip upgrade will probably do as much as anything if you already have an intercooler, if it does the correct job and increases the fuel delivery from the fuel pump. A K&N will not always help on a diesel as the restriction is on the fuel that can be burnt not the amount of air which is pretty constant. The standar filter is pretty good as long as it is clean.

You could also get the Van Aaken treatment on it which will get the fuel system and engine management properly remapped.
Grimbo
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2005 21:45    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi, am interseted in EGR mod on ealier 24v as mentioned by Towpack, can you give me more details ? did you just pull pipes of valves and block ends of vacume pipes? Thanks
Towpack

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2005 21:52    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the EGR valves are in good shape and seal well disconnecting the vacuum pipes and blanking them off will be OK.Don't block off the inlets to the valves themselves.Just to be sure,using the existing gaskets as a pattern,I also fitted some blanking plates made from some thin sheet steel (an old paint thinners tin) in between the valves and the inlet manifold.Don't expect a big "kick in the pants" boost in performance.The difference is slight but there.Doesn't do MPG any harm either.

1998 HDJ80 Amazon VX 4.2TD
2004 Yamaha R1 (Sold)
2011 Ducati 1198SP (Sold)
2012 kawasaki ZZr1400
2002 Honda XR650R (BRP)- STOLEN GRRRRR!!!
2010 Husaberg FE570....YIPPEEEEE!!!!
2003 GT XCR3000
1995 Border Collie-Passed away 23-5-2011
DaveO

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2006 4:09    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do the simple things first;

1. 3" exhaust system (from the turbo to the tailpipe)
2. fit largest intercooler & adjust manifold pressure to the same or 2PSI more
3. fit one of the diesel tuning modules on the market (I'm happy with the one I have)

Note that some 100series TD have a TINY factory intercooler. Its OK for putting around, but limited value if you tow in hilly country or like to place racer. If thr car is an auto you are limited in IC size by the factory auto trans cooler.

1. will improve turbo spool up
2. will provide more & cooler air - the ECU will make adjust and provide some more power.
3. will make a significant diff when 1 & 2 are already in place.

Essentially I have 1-3 plus reduced the induction tract restrictions for about 40% more power (admittedly on a Prado). Thats the order we do them at work on any electronic vehicle. On mechanical injection replace 3 with tickle the pump.
View user's profile Send personal message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> 100 Series / Amazon Technical Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: