Atlas Overland Adventure Tours

The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club
Landcruiser Club - Dedicated to Toyota Landcruiser, Amazon, Colorado and Prado Owners

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
TLOCUK HomeTLOCUK Home   TLOCUK ForumsTLOCUK Forums  TLOCUK FaceBook GroupTLOCUK FaceBook Group
Click here to link to the South African LandCruiser Owners Club websiteLCCSA  Click here to link to the Australian LandCruiser Owners OnLine website - possibly the longest established Land Cruiser club on the net!LCOOL  Click here to link to the IH8MUD website - run by extremely enthusiastic Land Cruiser owners, with a fantastic source of DIY information and useful forum!IH8MUD  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

USE OF DIFFERENTIAL LOCK?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> 100 Series / Amazon Technical Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kronossm

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2008 14:51    Post subject: USE OF DIFFERENTIAL LOCK? Reply with quote

Dear friends of Prado 4X4 and adventurers, I am a new owner of a Prado 120 and I still haven't figure out some issues concerning the Differential lock Baton.

1st In which cases I am supposed to engage it? Only in sand, mud, snow and generally when the vehicle is stack ? or I can engage it earlier before I get stacked ?

2nd When I engage it can I turn the wheels? Not at all, a little (11-13)? or I can turn them but not completely? I have heard all three theories and I don't know what to do.

3d I can engage the differential lock with high as well as with low transmitions in my gear box?

4th With how many km/h I can engage it? Or the car must be stopped?

I will be very grateful if you can help me with this issue...

P.S. Please excuse my English... ( I am from beautiful Greece)
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2008 14:51    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

Landcrusher
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2008 20:39    Post subject: Re: USE OF DIFFERENTIAL LOCK? Reply with quote

kronossm wrote:
Dear friends of Prado 4X4 and adventurers, I am a new owner of a Prado 120 and I still haven't figure out some issues concerning the Differential lock Baton.

1st In which cases I am supposed to engage it? Only in sand, mud, snow and generally when the vehicle is stack ? or I can engage it earlier before I get stacked ?

2nd When I engage it can I turn the wheels? Not at all, a little (11-13)? or I can turn them but not completely? I have heard all three theories and I don't know what to do.

3d I can engage the differential lock with high as well as with low transmitions in my gear box?

4th With how many km/h I can engage it? Or the car must be stopped?

I will be very grateful if you can help me with this issue...

P.S. Please excuse my English... ( I am from beautiful Greece)

Kalaspera and Yassou to you in beautiful Greece.

OK, you can ONLY engage the rear lock (back axle) in low ratio. You need to stop the vehicle or only be moving very slightly to do this. You will have to go through the transfer box first into low ratio which will automatically lock the middle differential. You can engage all of this on tarmac, in fact. But you will not be ABLE to steer, nor should you try. But it will all engage in a straight line. You can engage all of the system on any surface that is loose and will allow wheels to slip when cornering. When in deep mud, for example, you can steer as much as you like. Try NOT to spin the wheels hard and steer full lock. The drive shafts don't like that! As the Landcruiser is such a good vehicle, you don't really need any of the locks etc unless really off-road. It's full-time 4x4. So even on your Greek country mountain roads, you should be fine.

As a rule, when off road, go as far as you can in normal drive mode, when you get stuck, try to reverse out. If you can't, use the centre lock first to get out - rather than go forwards. If you can get out, then try going forward again. If you get stuck, go into low ration then reverse out. See the idea? If you use all of the measures at once, and you're stuck - you have nothing left.

Some of the 120 series had a limited slip rear differential not a full manual lock, but yours sounds as though this is not the case or you would not have a button (dial) for it. In order to get the rear lock to work, you may need to allow a wheel at the back to slip a little. The red light on the dashboard will stop flashing when it is locked - the same to unlock it.

LC
kronossm

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2008 6:56    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well thank you very much for your valuable info. I guess now all I have to do is test all these in the real field. In fact the LC 120 is a very fine Vehicle and I know that I will have many years of fun and pleasure with family and friends...

Nevertheless I have one last question. You said that if the terrain is slippery like mud you can turn as much as you like with the differential locked? but fully lock the wheels! Ok! Is it the same for Snow or sand? Because first we have so many beaches here in Greece in the summer, and in the winter where it snows we go off roading in the mountains. Last Year we got stacked in an Uphill road with snow (I then had a RAV4) and all cars where slipping and could not go up hill because the snow was icy. SO in such a case you say I can engage the rear Differential and steer the wheels as needed but not fully locked turns?  

I appreciate you help,

George Karakitsos.
Landcrusher
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2008 10:09    Post subject: Reply with quote

George, you can fully turn the steering with everything locked as long as there is some loose surface (or ice snow etc). The problem is that on full lock with the diffs locked as well, that there can be great strain placed on some of the drive components. The front wheels have joints in the drive shafts which have to go in and out as well as up and down with the terrain. Having full lock on the wheels whilst applying lots of power has the potential to damage these complicated parts. Toyotas are very well made, and i have never broken one, but just be aware that with the BFG ATs on that you are going to buy, you will have lots of grip and full lock, with diffs locked and lots of revs on and low ratio engaged you could damage something. I'm not saying that you will, but you can. As the back wheels are locked together they only want to push in a straight line. Your front wheels are now acting like a rudder in the mud.With the wheels turned, there is considerable build up of pressure on the inside of the wheel as you plough into the ground.

To sum up - full steering and full locks on sand etc , YES. But drive slowly. Above all, have fun.

LC
kronossm

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2008 10:14    Post subject: Reply with quote

Appreciated,

Thank you Very much
George Karakitsos.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> 100 Series / Amazon Technical Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: