Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club

The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club
Landcruiser Club - Dedicated to Toyota Landcruiser, Amazon, Colorado and Prado Owners

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
TLOCUK HomeTLOCUK Home   TLOCUK ForumsTLOCUK Forums  TLOCUK FaceBook GroupTLOCUK FaceBook Group
Click here to link to the South African LandCruiser Owners Club websiteLCCSA  Click here to link to the Australian LandCruiser Owners OnLine website - possibly the longest established Land Cruiser club on the net!LCOOL  Click here to link to the IH8MUD website - run by extremely enthusiastic Land Cruiser owners, with a fantastic source of DIY information and useful forum!IH8MUD  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

Performance Upgade 1999 Amazon 4.2TD

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> 100 Series / Amazon Technical Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
toxicfrog

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2008 1:15    Post subject: Performance Upgade 1999 Amazon 4.2TD Reply with quote

Hi,

Anyone got any recommendations for upgrading the power/torque on a 100 series Amazon 4.2TD?

Paul
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2008 1:15    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

Wandering Willy

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2008 4:42    Post subject: Reply with quote

Someone here suggested Diesel Bob as a good place to get diesel bits. Specifically, it was to get their car's injectors replaced. I had a look at the web site and the company also offer a range of electronic gadgets to improve power/torque/fuel consumption. I was mainly interested in the fuel part but didn't investigate further.

http://www.dieselbob.co.uk/dieselpower.shtml

There are other companies around making these electronic boxes. Have a search on Google. I am not trying to promote Diesel Bob, just saying the company is there. The advantage of these electronic upgrades is that the new box is normally just plugged into the wiring and can be removed easily if you want to trade the car for a newer one, while taking it for its MOT etc.

Another route to more power etc. is to fit a larger diameter exhaust system - 3" diameter stainless steel seems a popular choice. Re-routing so the tailpipe comes out at the side rather than the rear avoids having to pass the pipe over the rear axle and shortens the system a little. The reduced back pressure from the larger diameter system helps the engine breathe better. While not increasing power by a large amount, it means that other improvements work even better. This has been discussed recently on the 80 forum so you can find out more there. The installation is slightly different on a 100 car but the later 80s have a very similar engine (24V plus turbo) so what works for a late 80 should do the same for a 100.

Such a system has to be custom made but there seem to be companies around which will make one for around £500. With a new standard exhaust system being around that price, it is a tempting route to take provided you can trust the company making the system to do a good job.

The enlarged diameter system would need to retain a catalytic converter. It would be possible to use the existing cat (i.e. SS exhaust from the cat back) but mixing stainless and mild steel components. This usually means the mild steel parts rust at several times the normal rate so including a new cat (i.e. SS exhaust from the manifold back) might be the best route. This would put the price up because big cats (no joke intended) are not so readily available or cheap. This would also give the best result from a performance viewpoint as the system would be of increased diameter all the way to the back. The difference in performance compared to the 'cat back only' system would be small but beneficial provided the overall price is affordable.

My concern about all such upgrades is that the increased torque increases the load on the transmission which must be considerable to start with. It would be quite hard to resist the temptation to floor it every time a boy racer comes into view.

I hope this helps. Please report progress if you decide to go ahead with an upgrade.

Willy
toxicfrog

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2008 9:47    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the post - we have already repaired one of the exhaust sections once as it started to blow around a seam.  Im very much into repairing rather than replacing so the exhaust will have to be hanging off by its last weld before I replace it!

I like the idea of the plug n play boxes.  Will have a look at that site - Van Aaken are just around the corner from me, do they do anything does anyone know?

Paul
Wandering Willy

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2008 10:08    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have nothing against Van Aaken but they did run into financial problems a couple of years ago (so I understand from googling their name - run your own check). It would worry me that my car was depending on a company that could disappear at short notice. Having said that, I did see them having a clear out of their stock at the start of this year and were offering a kit for the 100 series at a very good price. I think they still offer a kit for the 100 series.

If they are local to you, pay them a visit. If you get a good feeling about the set up, go for it.

Willy
100 TD

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 6:09    Post subject: Reply with quote

Expensive but they work Smile

go to http://www.safarisnorkel.com/dtronic/toyota/sd85.htm

Last edited by 100 TD on Tue Nov 04, 2008 9:03; edited 1 time in total
Nor

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2008 0:02    Post subject: Reply with quote

The quickest fix is a "box" which will change the fuelling, like suggested above. Just plug and go. There are several brands available.

Another one is installing LPG/Propane Induction.  Will increase power and mileage by providing a more complete combustion of the diesel.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> 100 Series / Amazon Technical Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: