4x4 & MPV Driver - 40% subscription discount

The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club
Landcruiser Club - Dedicated to Toyota Landcruiser, Amazon, Colorado and Prado Owners

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
TLOCUK HomeTLOCUK Home   TLOCUK ForumsTLOCUK Forums  TLOCUK FaceBook GroupTLOCUK FaceBook Group
Click here to link to the South African LandCruiser Owners Club websiteLCCSA  Click here to link to the Australian LandCruiser Owners OnLine website - possibly the longest established Land Cruiser club on the net!LCOOL  Click here to link to the IH8MUD website - run by extremely enthusiastic Land Cruiser owners, with a fantastic source of DIY information and useful forum!IH8MUD  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

amazon issues

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> 100 Series / Amazon Technical Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
markthespark

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 22:12    Post subject: amazon issues Reply with quote

Hi everyone.

Im new to this forum but it seems there is a wealth of knowledge here. on that note i hope that you all can help.

i have a 4.7 LPG amazon that is an import from japan and i have a few things that are not working or not even there!

i need to test the heated rear view mirrors but i cant get the mirror glasses off. can anyone tell me how to get these off? i have checked the fuse, relay and switch and these are all working. the last port of call must be the element itself.

i bought this car with the LPG already fitted, but the fuel change over switch seems to be installed where the rear diff lock switch should be. i read somewhere that the 4.7 has no rear diff lock as it has VSC, but i cant see any warning lights or switches for VSC. i would appreciate any views that would clear this up. i will probably reinstall the diff lock if this model has it.

I have only one master key and this is broken. does anyone know where to get a reasonably priced master key for an import? in addition to this the rear fogs have different lamp holder fittings and consequently different plugs. i presume someone has replaced one with a uk model and realised that is wont fit the plug. i therefore need a reliable suplier for import spares.

Hope this is not too much for a first timer and i hope you all can help. be in no doubt though, i love this car!! it has such presence.

Cheers markthespark
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 22:12    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

100 TD

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 6:17    Post subject: Reply with quote

From my USA diagram, IGN must be on for mirror heater,  Mirror heater fuse 15A, mirror heater relay is controlled via A/C controls so I expect heat must be selected? PM me your email and I will send you what I have.
ozzymondo

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 3:18    Post subject: 4.7 v8 lpg Reply with quote

hi there markthespark , sorry to hear about your small problems , i am looking for a 4.7 v8 lpg myself and looking for a bit of advice .
firstly i already own a colorado 3.o td so i already know about toyota's build quality.
I also own a defender td5 which i am going to sell and replace with an amazon for overland trips.
can you tell me what size the lpg tank is on yours and how much you can actually get in it ?
is the petrol tank a 90L tank aswell ?
also whereabouts in london do you live as i am working down here , stopping lee valley , edmonton and would'nt mind havin a look at your amazon if possible?.
I can't decide whether to go for a 4.2 td or a 4.7 v8 lpg ? can you give me any advice .?
By overlanding i don't mean just nipping over to france or spain , i am talking Kenya , middle east , norway /arctic circle etc.look forward to hearing from you , Another Mark.
idrubie
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 8:54    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would suggest a diesel for overlanding.  Fuel availability and range would be a major concern with an LPG setup.   Depending on how extreme you want your overlanding to be an 80 might be a better choice than a 100.

Ian
ozzymondo

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 13:08    Post subject: overland issue Reply with quote

Thanks Ian for that , it's funny you should mention an 80 because one day on our trip to Africa we came across this group of Germans in there 80 with roof tent , we decided to pull in one evening and set camp near them , both of us had camp fires going before we had time to switch the engines off,the view the next morning was breathtaking , we had climbed to almost 9000ft above sea level up this gorge(pure bliss , not a cloud in the sky and utter silence) .
Anyway sorry for that , got lost there for one moment , yes an 80 sounds good but i have always had some affection for the amazon esp with its robust 4.2td , i have not heard any horror stories about this beast yet ?.
you prob know but i own a collie 3.0d lwb and had cylinder trouble at 120k (perforated) so had a new one fitted by a v good mechanic i know , she's now done just shy of 150k and purrrrs like a kitten, i am more than happy with her.
so i guess your thinking , why not use the collie for overlanding ? , well i have considered it and still don't know what to do,keep the collie as a work vehicle and get myself some seriuos overlanding kit or what ?.
any suggestions would be greatlely appreciated , even if you know someone else that is into overlanding,cheers Mark
markthespark

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 13:26    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi mark,

I tend to agree with Ian. The LPG is a money saver but availabilty of LPG in Kenya is somewhat of a mystery. Mine has a 90l tank and you can get around 75l in it depending on temperature. This gets us about 150miles. The other advantage apart from cost is of course is that you can fill both tanks and then increase your potential distance.

As far as overlanding is concerned, i think ian would agree that oil burners are somewhat better in water (less electrics etc).

All in all i am very happy with mine and i cant give you advise as to whether to go for an 80 or the 100 as i have never owned an 80. I get the impression that 80 owners rate them higher than the 100. Perhaps this is because there is less to go wrong. I dont know. I think the 100 was geared more towards the luxury end of the market.

I live in Croydon if that any use.

All the best
ozzymondo

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 15:36    Post subject: overlanding Reply with quote

cheers Markthespark,thanks for the feedback, what is your nearest undergrond line , i may pop over and have a butchers if thats ok ? it won't be this week though as we are working nights in soho on a pret cafe, will keep in touch thanks Mark.
markthespark

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 15:45    Post subject: Reply with quote

Theres a question. The nearest underground is probably somewhere like tooting or balham i would think.

And that aint that close!

Croydon is not all the big smoke it makes out to be, although it has enough knife crime to compare!!  Wink

If you can get to Victoria, east croydon stn is only 2 stops.
idrubie
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 16:04    Post subject: Re: overland issue Reply with quote

ozzymondo wrote:

yes an 80 sounds good but i have always had some affection for the amazon esp with its robust 4.2td

The 80 has basically the same engine.  It is a 12 valve unit in the early ones but got a 24 valve head around early 1996.  The same engine was then used in the 100s with some extra electronic trickery added.

I've done some overlanding in my time , I am currently preparing for my next trip to Libya  Cool I can fully relate to your experience.  The night sky in the desert is awsome.

A 100 series is a more civilised road car than an 80, but the front axle of an 80 is more suited to extreme off road conditions.  There are also less electronics on an 80.  I definately think diesel is the fuel for overlanding.

Cheers

Ian
jvoelcker

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 1:23    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, the 80 is more suited to extreme driving, but you would be foolish to push the envelope that far  when overlanding so I wouldn't worry about it.

The 100 willl actually be a much more comfortable drive - having independant front suspension on rough gravel tracks/corrugations makes a big difference and being bigger inside will also be appreciated.

Yes things like the motors on the steering column can go, but they will go whether you are ploughing the roads in Chelsea or beating a path across the African bush.

I've got an 80 now that I've been round Morocco in and I love  the truck, but will be upgrading to a 100 next year.

The 100s do take a little more to get them prepped (fitting a front air locker, diff drop kit, etc) but well worth the small extra expense.

Actually the last 100 I prepped was shipped  to Kenya and seems to be doing well out there and I'm just starting on one that  will be used  for a 3yr round the world trip.

Oh,  and on the fuel front go for diesel.  You won't regret it.

Julian
1994 HDJ80, with loads of mods without looking too obscene Smile
1997 KZJ95 - Gilly's - plain black and muddy on BFG ATs.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> 100 Series / Amazon Technical Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: