Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club

The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club
Landcruiser Club - Dedicated to Toyota Landcruiser, Amazon, Colorado and Prado Owners

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
TLOCUK HomeTLOCUK Home   TLOCUK ForumsTLOCUK Forums  TLOCUK FaceBook GroupTLOCUK FaceBook Group
Click here to link to the South African LandCruiser Owners Club websiteLCCSA  Click here to link to the Australian LandCruiser Owners OnLine website - possibly the longest established Land Cruiser club on the net!LCOOL  Click here to link to the IH8MUD website - run by extremely enthusiastic Land Cruiser owners, with a fantastic source of DIY information and useful forum!IH8MUD  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

How to buy a car in UK?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> General non-technical Q&A
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gilghana

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 18:03    Post subject: How to buy a car in UK? Reply with quote

No really!!!!  I have never actually bought a car in person in the UK, and as it may well happen sometime soon I would really appreciate it if someone can describe the whats and hows of buying a 2nd hand car either privately or from a small trader.  Quite incredible really - over the years here in Africa I have bought dozens of vehicles for our company and a couple privately - but not in home country... Sorry for this strange question!  I don't mean the technical side of buying a car BTW, I mean paperwork and payment.  
Cheers,
Gil
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 18:03    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

jvoelcker

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 18:23    Post subject: Reply with quote

Find out what you want.

Go to see it with a wad of cash in one pocket, say £500-1000 less than the asking price, with spare in another pocket.

Kick the tyres, point out all the problems and what it will cost you to get it fixed.

Argue over the price, saying you only have what is in your pocket - hopefully they will take it when you wave it under their nose.

They need to fill out the V5 and send it to DVLA to show the change of registration - best to get that all filled out and done whilst you are there - offer to post it for them.  You will need to keep the bottom strip of the V5.

You will then need to get it insured and taxed, if it isn't already.

What are you after?

Julian
1994 HDJ80, with loads of mods without looking too obscene Smile
1997 KZJ95 - Gilly's - plain black and muddy on BFG ATs.
24Seven

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 18:48    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was looking for some info for you and came across this Gov site which tells you about the V5 etc.

V5 and advise about UK sales

MOT

Vehicle Tax Guess you will get a pre 2001 which is £185 a year at the moment.

You cannot Tax a car without a current MOT and Vehicle Insurance, this can be a pain if you want to drive away a vehicle there and then and there is no tax left on it.

Private sale is sold as seen, with a Dealer you do have some come back.

I would try and get someone who understands the UK system to go along with you, but even then it's always buyer beware.
Wandering Willy

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 12:48    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are a couple of tricks that get used on the unwary here that you should be aware of.

A garage may be selling a car on behalf of the owner. In this case, the garage may not be interested if there is a problem later. It can be hard to spot this if you don't know the garage. You have to ask and be clear about the answer. It pays to have someone with you to act as a witness in case the garage won't help you if there is a problem.

Similarly, you can find an interesting car advertised, go along to see it and find it is being sold by a car trader (someone who makes his living by selling cars) but be under the impression that you are buying from a private owner, i.e. buying his own car. Sometimes, the seller will offer to come to your house or to a public (e.g. supermarket) car park to pull off this trick. ALWAYS go to the 'owners' home or premises so you have an address to go back to if there is a problem later. Don't rely on a mobile phone number - they can change overnight.

The V5 registration document should have the details of the last owner displayed on it so ask to see it before putting your money on the table. Check if the owner is listed as a company director or someone other than the person you would expect. Ex-hire cars can be 'owned' by a director of a hire company but he or she would probably never drive them. Be very suspicious if the V5 document can't be produced. If needs to be available to complete the sale.

If you can, look back through the history of the services and MOT certificates to see how the car has been used; periods or low or high mileage for example. This can raise some interesting questions, particularly if the supposed owner is selling (rather than a garage).

Use one of the companies which check the car's history to see if it is the subject of a loan agreement, if it has been written off by an insurance company following a crash, or has been reported stolen. For around £40 these companies can supply a history of the car with problems plus changes of registration (from fitting a personalised number), and changes to the engine number. This is one of the companies which do this sort of check

http://www.hpicheck.com/newfrontend/

Good luck with your purchase

Willy
gilghana

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 12:20    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many thanks guys for the usual helpful advice.  Must say this forum is very helpful and friendly!  Julian - I might be after a SWB Prado (or Colorado in UK) for running around in UK/EU for a while and then keeping with a family member or selling it on again..  Would be for lots of motorway followed by bits of mild off-road.  Leaning towards a 5 door manual and it would have to be cheap enough.  
Gil
lucky
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 13:32    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gil.

If you are still in Ghana and want to get one ready for when you arrive, you may want to get someone you know and trust to go and see it for you and wire the money over. Don't whatever you do buy one over the phone. There are a lot of dogs out there, LCs that have seen far too much abuse without any care. The problem with them is that the reputation for solidity and reliability means that people think that they can go on without any maintenance whatsoever.

Also a good place to start is looking at Auto Trader (www.autotrader.co.uk) for a couple of weeks. Will give you a reasonable amount of knowledge as to what you will need to pay for one and give you a start at seeing what is out there. Also Yahoo motors although a lot of them are dealer cars.
gilghana

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 19:53    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many thanks Andy - all good advise!  Will keep my eye on autotrader etc.  Appreciate your efforts in guiding me in the right direction and away from the dodgy aspects of used car sales, but I do have to point out that Ghana and her neighbouring countrymen does tend to make UK rip-off types look like rank amateurs... pikeys - ha!  Try the Ashanti car dealers   Shocked  Laughing
Gil
lucky
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 0:44    Post subject: Reply with quote

Obviously practicing to move up to Nigerian Scams

Laughing  Laughing
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> General non-technical Q&A All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: