Adrian Flux : 0800 916 1257

The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club
Landcruiser Club - Dedicated to Toyota Landcruiser, Amazon, Colorado and Prado Owners

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
TLOCUK HomeTLOCUK Home   TLOCUK ForumsTLOCUK Forums  TLOCUK FaceBook GroupTLOCUK FaceBook Group
Click here to link to the South African LandCruiser Owners Club websiteLCCSA  Click here to link to the Australian LandCruiser Owners OnLine website - possibly the longest established Land Cruiser club on the net!LCOOL  Click here to link to the IH8MUD website - run by extremely enthusiastic Land Cruiser owners, with a fantastic source of DIY information and useful forum!IH8MUD  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

LC Series Numbers

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> General non-technical Q&A
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Macalac

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 23:59    Post subject: LC Series Numbers Reply with quote

I am looking to buy an LC to replace my ageing LR Disco, as I have now got bored with spending half my life fixing problems - last job was a new rear floor to pass the MOT.

I am a little confused as to how the Series No relates to the year or model, ie what is an 80, 90, 120 etc.  I know with the older LR it relates to the chassis length.

I have tried to find an answer on the forum but have failed.
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 23:59    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

Landcrusher
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 8:34    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Macalac - it is on here - each series has its own forum. Pretty definitive really - but as a quick pictorial guide have a look here. I'm sure there will be other ones, but this is concise.

http://www.tbruk.com/   go to 'products' click 'vehicle specific' and then click 'Toyota' you'll see the whole range on one page. The series is nothing to do with wheel base etc certainly not anymore. They could have just called them 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 etc

LC
smokeyjoe

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 9:30    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wiki page is quite good, but there is a real need for a good clear concise page here on the forum with model specifics,dates, identifing feature etc etc.  It took me weeks to realise I had a 90 (or is it 95?) series

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toyota_Land_Cruiser
Macalac

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 9:56    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many thanks Landcrusher and Smokey Joe,

At least now I know I am looking at a 100 series, and kbnow which technical forum to concentrate on.

I am looking for a 2001/2 Colorado, which looking at reviews seems to have the edge on my LR Disco in performance and economy.  My main use is for towing a Caravan and a horse trailer, with the occasional off road when the opportunity arises.
smokeyjoe

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 10:03    Post subject: Reply with quote

Easiest thing to remeber is that the 90 colorado/prado series is the discovery & the 100 amazon is the range rover.

The colorado is very much disco spec, without the extra luxuiries that you find on the amazon/range rover.  The amazon is loaded to the eyeballs with all the toys. Even down to the rear doors. the 90 had the swing out type door of the disco, but the 100 has the same set up as the RR.
Landcrusher
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 11:17    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry Macalac - looking at a 100, wanting a Colorado?

You know Colorado is a 90? I may have missed the subtlety in your post there. But wouldn't want you to get confused. 90 is a SWB - 3 door - 5 seater and a 95 is a LWB 5 door 8 seater.

Yeah?

LC
Macalac

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 11:25    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for both of you for putting me straight.

So, it's a 95 I am looking for.  I did have the offer of a 90 ( 3 door) for a very reasonable price, but unfortunately the benefits of a 5 door, with the additional fold up seats, are a greater attraction.

At least I now definitely know which forum to search.
smokeyjoe

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 11:29    Post subject: Reply with quote

Macalac wrote:

So, it's a 95 I am looking for.  I did have the offer of a 90 ( 3 door) for a very reasonable price, but unfortunately the benefits of a 5 door, with the additional fold up seats, are a greater attraction.

I have a 1999 95. ( i never realised that the '5' signified lwb!)  Anyway.....

The older engines are a bit juicy. The later d4d ones (post 2000 i think) are about 5mpg better.  The ideal vehicle is an earlyish d4d 95, pre mar 2001 (cheap tax).
The extra seats are easy to remove & give you a decent loadspace as well.
Landcrusher
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 11:30    Post subject: Reply with quote

When you do, you'll find a sticky post at the top of the 90 series forum. This is a collection of posts about buying and owing a 90 series. I suggest you start there. Few bits to watch for, but a 2000+ D4D would be a very nice vehicle indeed.

LC
Landcrusher
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 11:43    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Smokeyjoe - I think that the D4D came in on a W which is 2001, so finding a pre 2001 D4D is going to be a bit tricky I feel. The stated mpg for a D4D and an earlier 1KZ-TE are about the same. The difference is that typically you can actually get that out of a D4D whereas the older engines are now not quite so economical. They can be, with the right tyres etc, but I have resigned my self to about 24 mpg. I had a 120 series prior to this and could get 30 easy.

LC
smokeyjoe

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 12:36    Post subject: Reply with quote

W & Y reg should be cheap tax. I think the new rate came in about the time of the 51 plate.  It's a tight window but £200 a year makes it worth a look.
gilghana

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2009 14:10    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is pretty much a definative guide to Landcruiser nomenclature LC Models  Okay it is Czech but the model numbers, pics and specs are pretty universal.  Smokeyjoe I have to disagree...  firstly with the Landrover comparison and secondly with the idea it is all about the amount of gadgets fitted.  The similarity of LR and LC products started to diverge a long time ago in technical and more aesthetic terms.  Some would argue that the 200 series and the RR bring them closer together again...  but I would disagree - show me a manual, detuned and semi-simplified RR for African markets.  Unlike Toyota, LR gave up on the "developing" markets a good few years ago, which is a shame, but then so is the fact that LR chose to invest R&D only in their "mall cruiser" Disco III, RR, RR Sport etc.  Their idea of a New Defender was a CRD transit engine and a different dash...  trading heavily on the "rugged" aspect of the Defender while in effect abandoning the markets where a vehicle really has to BE rugged.  

This is all why where I live and someone is buying a 4x4 wagon you see only:
LC, Pajero, Patrol.  Okay in Accra you sometimes see a property developer/footballer/coke dealer in a RR....  Bit like UK really Confused
paulh

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 1:19    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another excellent (one-page) resource is at Bushtaxi

I do think that gilghana's reaction to Smokeyjoe's post is a trifle harsh though.  Bearing in mind the constraints of the UK market, Smokeyjoe is quite correct, in that there are four categorys of 4x4 available to buy:
Premium: LC200/RR
Large: ML/Disco/LC120
Medium: RAV4/Freelander/Pajero
Utility: Defender/Hilux/Navara

So, in the average UK 4x4 buyer's mind, there are certain comparisons to be made.  I've been as fortunate as gilghana to have had FJ75 company cars, and enjoyed them immensley, so I share his overall sentiments, but to play 'devil's advocate' for a minute: "Their idea of a New Defender was a CRD transit engine and a different dash...  trading heavily on the "rugged" aspect of the Defender while in effect abandoning the markets where a vehicle really has to BE rugged."

So Toyota's ideas were to give the 40s a new body and then:
Add a new dash: LR moved the dials from the middle in the early 70s
Change the look of the front:  LR did that with the Stage I 109 V8
Put coil springs underneath:  LR put coils, all round, under the 110 in the early 80's
Stick a decent engine in: LR failed miserably at this.  In Aus, you could buy a 110 with a 3.9 Isuzu diesel, but elsewhere you were buggered. 2.5? Pah!

I personally dislike the whole "LR vs LC" thing - I have a 96 FZJ80 and an 85 Rangie - they're both VERY good at doing what they do, but most folk don't buy 'em for either their off-road abiltity or their heritage.

So, in short, gilghana's right, but Smokeyjoe makes more sense in the UK.

Cheers

Paul
gilghana

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2009 11:02    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, you're right Paul - maybe I came across too strong!  Probly because I am a long time LR fan (used to own a Defender which I lovingly built up from a beat up ex-Ghana police wagon to a rig I was very proud of) but just feel that LR has lost the plot a little.  If their had been a LR alternative to a Troopy that is as reliable and tough I would have bought one  - no doubt.  All LR's products are superb off road, that is for sure...  I was absolutely amazed at the off road prowess of a RR Sport when I saw one being put through it's paces.  I am not trying to offend anyone or slag off LR - it's just a sad (for me) fact that they no longer have any credible utilitarian vehicle that can go head to head in the durability and reliability stakes with Toyota in harsh use.  UK is different as you say.  I agree that Toyota have not exactly brought dramatic transformations to their utility series, but the improvements they have made have been enough to stay in front and yet not bring technology too quickly for "traditional markets".  I am currently on hols and driving an Opel Astra hire car...  I would kill for even a freelander  Very Happy
Cheers,
Gil
paulh

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2009 0:38    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry Gil

I should've made it clear that my tongue was firmly wedged in my cheek during my post.  I agree wholeheardly that LR lost the plot from the global utility perspective, but I suppose you have to consider that their entry into that market in the '50s was only really down to a lack of alternatives.

The original LR was supposed to be a "farmer's friend", with the ability to run implements off the PTO, belt drive, and even hang a 3-point linkage off the back.  Because it was more versatile than the ex-war Jeeps (from an agricultural point of view) it was lapped up in the expanding 'Colonies', and the range was extended to include LWB and even Station Wagon versions.

Unfortunately (for LR) the Colonies in question required a machine that was capable of more than tending a couple of hundred acres in North Wales, hence the popularity of the Land Cruiser/Patrol, with their bigger motors and longer load space.

LR then proceeded to do FK all about the global market, and concentrated on the needs of the UK Military and Utility market instead.  Why, I don't know.  The 3.9 Isuzu-powered 110s that Oz got were surely the equal of the equivalent HJ4xs and HZJ7xs of the time, what with coils and permanent 4x4 and all, but LR didn't market them.

On the other hand, most of the farmers round my way that aren't already running Daihatsus or Hiluxes (about 20%) run LR 90s, so they still have their original market, which is good.

I didn't mean to offend either, but still stand by my assertion that 'Cruisers aren't well understood in UK.

Cheers

Paul
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> General non-technical Q&A All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: