NFU Mutual - click to link

The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club
Landcruiser Club - Dedicated to Toyota Landcruiser, Amazon, Colorado and Prado Owners

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
TLOCUK HomeTLOCUK Home   TLOCUK ForumsTLOCUK Forums  TLOCUK FaceBook GroupTLOCUK FaceBook Group
Click here to link to the South African LandCruiser Owners Club websiteLCCSA  Click here to link to the Australian LandCruiser Owners OnLine website - possibly the longest established Land Cruiser club on the net!LCOOL  Click here to link to the IH8MUD website - run by extremely enthusiastic Land Cruiser owners, with a fantastic source of DIY information and useful forum!IH8MUD  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

Landruiser colarado -can the back seats be fitted sidewards?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> General non-technical Q&A
View previous topic :: View next topic  
at25

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 14:27    Post subject: Landruiser colarado -can the back seats be fitted sidewards? Reply with quote

Hi Everyone,

I am in process of purchasing a 4X4.  I need one that can sit 7 adults.  The only one in the market is a disco 3, but I love landcruisers and always wanted one.

Test drove a few, but noticed the back seats are catered for children.  However I know in other countries the third row of seats are mounted sidewards (and higher), so that adults can be seated.

Can this be done on uk models?  Is it legal and pass MOTs?  

Hopefully its a yes......so i can buy one this week.  

Many Thanks. Question
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 14:27    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

Landcrusher
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 17:16    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let me see, err, uhmm, ahhh, nope. Sorry.

The catches in the floor would be wrong, seat belts would be out of position and frankly so many other issues. Can't see it being possible unless you were a really good engineer and fabricator and upholsterer to boot.
at25

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2009 9:13    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many Thanks LandCrusher.  Would you know if the jap imports (or any other imports) have the third row of seats sidewards as standard?
Desperatezulu
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2009 10:36    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could look at an imported 78  series "Troopie" as these have side-mounted seats for 13 people. They'd have to be 13 skinny people that are very friendly with each other  Shocked  but the troopie certainly fits the criteria you give.

Have you considered the 80 or 100 series LCs? The 80 is a little cramped in the 3rd row but the 100 is certainly adequate unless you're transporting the forwards from the local rugby team. You don't say whether the 7 adults are particularly large/tall and whether you're intending to cart these people long distances? IMHO the 100 would fit your needs just fine - put the shorter members of your group in the 3rd row and the larger ones in the 2nd row and you're away. You'd be fine on anything up to medium length trips (<3 hours) and even beyond. I can't see the Disco 3 being more spacious than the 100.

I don't know whether a Disco 3 could even make a trip of >3 hours in one go with the AA in attendance.... Rolling Eyes

Cheers,

'98 LC80 4.2TD VX 24v
at25

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2009 10:47    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Desperatezulu,

Many Thanks....

The third row will be for someone no taller then 5"8.  LC 100 and 80? Sorry i'm a novice.  Any pics?    I don't want to call the AA every journey..hence my hesitaion on purchasing a disco.  I own a freelander...with a k series engine......no need to say anymore hey!
uk_vette
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2009 11:12    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello,
I think the internal cabin space in the 120 series may be a bit more than the 90 series,
-
The 120 series.

-
I am sure I read some where that the 100 series is only 50mm longer than the 120 series ?

Open to corrections of course.

'vette
Desperatezulu
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2009 11:13    Post subject: Reply with quote

at25 wrote:
 I own a freelander...with a k series engine......no need to say anymore hey!

Sounds like you're already a sucker for punishment  Very Happy

Sorry about jumping ahead too much - you mentioned Colorado in the title of this thread so I (wrongly) assumed you were focusing on a particular model.
The 80 and 100 series are the "Amazon" class of LCs - do a search on the forums for each of those models to get more details & pics. At a stretch, I guess you could loosely equate the 90 series (Colorado) and 120 series as the equivalent of the Disco range and the 80/100/200 as the Range Rover equivalent...

The 80 was in production from roughly '90 to '98 and the 100s from '97 - '07, so the 80s are a bit older and therefore cheaper than the 100s. The major difference other than age and price, is the 100s are a little bit bigger and with IFS (independent front suspension) are a bit more refined on road. The 80 is regarded as a bit tougher but is also a bit more agricultural as a consequence. Both are plenty tough and reliable for your needs I imagine. Certainly you won't have any issues comfortably carrying your 5'8" passengers in the 3rd row!

If you have deep pockets and want the latest "big" LC, the 200 series is Toyota's current offering - it's big money and has all the bells & whistles but looks a fantastic vehicle in terms of luxury, power and all the rest. There are relatively few around so there isn't a huge wealth of experience on its shortcomings or its prowess off-road.

HTH!
Cheers,

'98 LC80 4.2TD VX 24v
Landcrusher
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2009 19:34    Post subject: Reply with quote

Having had both LWB 90 and 120, I would say that there is actually MORE room in the 90 for rear passengers. Don't know why or how, but I was much more comfortable leg-wise in my 90 when forced to come back from the pub after having too much sherbet to drive. 3rd row, about the same. Kiddies only really. It's a bit tight. However, the earlier 90s had a fantastic feature that allowed you to slide the middle seats back and forth. This really shared out the leg room. A much missed feature in my view.
LC
tarlachmoorhouse

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2009 20:24    Post subject: Reply with quote

Desperatezulu wrote:
At a stretch, I guess you could loosely equate the 90 series (Colorado) and 120 series as the equivalent of the Disco range and the 80/100/200 as the Range Rover equivalent...

Not sure this comparison works when looking at vehicles dimensions as there is very little difference between the size of a RR and a Disco (2cm max in any direction) where as the 10/100/200 are significantly bigger vehicles that the 90 / 120, however on the basis of 'equipment' etc I'd agree that the 80/100/200 is marketed as more upmarket than the 90/120, as the RR is over the Disco interestingly I don't think any RR has had more than 5 seats as standard.

Ta

John
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> General non-technical Q&A All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: