Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club

The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club
Landcruiser Club - Dedicated to Toyota Landcruiser, Amazon, Colorado and Prado Owners

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
TLOCUK HomeTLOCUK Home   TLOCUK ForumsTLOCUK Forums  TLOCUK FaceBook GroupTLOCUK FaceBook Group
Click here to link to the South African LandCruiser Owners Club websiteLCCSA  Click here to link to the Australian LandCruiser Owners OnLine website - possibly the longest established Land Cruiser club on the net!LCOOL  Click here to link to the IH8MUD website - run by extremely enthusiastic Land Cruiser owners, with a fantastic source of DIY information and useful forum!IH8MUD  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

Corrosion

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> General non-technical Q&A
View previous topic :: View next topic  
andy

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2009 11:54    Post subject: Corrosion Reply with quote

Would you say that this was normal for a 93 cruiser,

Mercedes Sprinter 311 Luton
1993 VX80 4.2td SOLD
1996 Hilux Surf SSR-G Intercooler Sold
1994 Hilux Surf SSR-V Sold
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2009 11:54    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

jvoelcker

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2009 13:31    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's not bad for a UK model - I wouldn't be surprised if it has been sitting around for long periods.  Certainly nothing really to worry too much about.

Julian
1994 HDJ80, with loads of mods without looking too obscene Smile
1997 KZJ95 - Gilly's - plain black and muddy on BFG ATs.
leon

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2009 16:12    Post subject: Reply with quote

road salt ......

yeh that looks normal  Razz  if it is a worry wash it with normal car wash soap with added wax ...daft as it sounds it will keep it down to a min on the inside wings etc  ( exept on the nanafold etc )

I wiping with some old oil on the deisl pipe work in photo 2 will help to or even a light spray with dear i say it ...WD40
2009 pug boy
2010 pug girl
         ^ dogs Smile
Wandering Willy

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2009 16:50    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you buying or selling?

It almost looks too clean for a '93 car. I know there is a bit of corrosion but no greasy dirt. Has it been steam cleaned or pressure hosed? Steam cleaning isn't so good for the electrical bits and a pressure hose on the engine can push water into all sorts of unfortunate places. How is the radiator holding up. If you wash the dirt off the core too often the fins rot and the tubes start to sag. Just a gentle spray with a hose pipe is better if the radiator is to last a reasonable time.

As Leon says, a wipe over with an oily rag will add a bit of gloss to the paint and the alloy bits.

You could go over the alloy parts with some steel wool (Brillo pad or similar) and then rinse off. If won't make them shine but they won't look so corroded and it shouldn't harm them if you have the patience. I wouldn't do that to the injector pipes though.

Willy
leon

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2009 18:23    Post subject: Reply with quote

halfords do some "own " brand heat proof paint with a little brush and mebe undo/loosen some bits you could tart it up abit  Wink

if you were just worryed some harm was being done the anse is no  Wink
2009 pug boy
2010 pug girl
         ^ dogs Smile
andy

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2009 18:45    Post subject: Reply with quote

As julian said it has been standing for a few months, and the owner before me had it standing for at least 9 months before I managed to buy it.

I took the pictures to show somebody who is coming to look at it tomorrow, and the comment was that it was a bit rusty, so this got me thinking like " is that excessive" anyway you've all put my mind at rest.

Willy as far as I know it has not been cleaned and the radiator was replaced some time before I got it, and I changed the oil earlier today and even the sump has some surface rust on it so it's not an oil dumper.

Thanks for your comment guys, I will show this to the viewer if they come.
1993 VX80 4.2td SOLD
andy

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2009 17:32    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok here we go with the next lot of pictures, but this is the underneath of the cruiser, it looks solid but with some surface rust and is 16 years old.

1993 VX80 4.2td SOLD
leon

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2009 17:55    Post subject: Reply with quote

normal for a Lc no one's botherd with  Smile  

stiff wire brush to get the think off then use a "black stone chip " spray paint (2-3 cans )like you would with side sill's and give every thing a good coat of black ...i do this every year in late spring to keep it not only looking good but makes it way easy to spot problems  Wink
Did it with my last 2 surfs and just done it on my 1998 amazon

Dont use under seal as it can trap water and rot your car with out you knowing  Confused
2009 pug boy
2010 pug girl
         ^ dogs Smile
lucky
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2009 18:20    Post subject: Reply with quote

To me it's normal for an LC that hasn't had a lot of oil leaks. Mine is less rusty underneath but has been leaking oil on and off for most of the last 5 years. The rust is only surface rust.

If it was any cleaner for that age I would say it's either been babied, restored, or tarted up for sale. It looks like a good honest vehicle to me. Nothing that a wire brush and some Waxoyl or Dinitrol wouldn't bring up sparkling.
Wandering Willy

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2009 8:27    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you have to start from the viewpoint that a typical LC probably spends most of its time on the school run or being used as a shopping trolley. However, they can be used to climb mountains, cross rivers, etc. So, taking the worst view is a good idea.

Many people here have bought an LC with the intention of having it for a couple of years and finding - because it is a great car - that they want to keep it for a lot longer. Giving the car a makeover when it is new (to you) might seem like a lot of wasted time when you just want ot drive it. But it will pay you back several time over in a longer life, particularly in areas like the wings, sills, rear floor and the bottom of the doors. The heavier parts like the transmission and axles only need painting for their appearance but it helps you to feel the car looks good even if no-one else sees the underside.

If you buy one, be prepared to go over it with a set of spanners and change all the fluids, belts, filters, pads, tyres and probably other parts that wear, rust, rot or just (like me) get old!

Painting the underneath is optional but if you want to keep the car for more than a year or two, I think it is a worthwhile investment in time and effort. The pictures show a car that has been cleaned or you wouldn't see much of this rust because it would be covered in mud and road dirt. The next few weeks of warmer and (hopefully) drier weather is the best time to do the painting and Waxoyl-ing. So take advantage of the opportunity if you can.

I suggest using Hammerite applied thickly as it doesn't need the metal to be de-rusted first, provided the loose rust is removed. But companies like Waxoyl and Dinitrol make a range of products ranging from oily spray-on stuff to thick greasy sticky wax based paints which probably work even better.

Willy
jvoelcker

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2009 9:35    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, looking at the second batch of photos it does look a little more rust than normal.

My biggest concern would be the integrity of things like the spring mounts on the axles, the anti roll bar mounts, etc - these are all weak points when it comes to rust.

The loose rust will ideally need to be chipped off using a needle descaler or something similar and then stick a coat of something like waxoyl or dinitrol on it.

Also, another consideration is that the chances are that a lot of the main bolts into the chassis will be pretty rusted in with a high probability of them snapping which will increase any time spent working on it.

Julian
1994 HDJ80, with loads of mods without looking too obscene Smile
1997 KZJ95 - Gilly's - plain black and muddy on BFG ATs.
PDR

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2009 14:17    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy, I do like your white LC but that rust would tend to put me off buying it....  but only because... I bought a tow-bar off TobyJug (Surf forum) for my 3:0 V6 last year and while pointing out the fixing positions Toby mentioned just how clean the underside of my Surf is.... so I guess that is what I expect to see.

The thing is of course that my Surf is an import brought in 2006 and has only done 30,000km since arrival in the UK. The other big factor is that I don’t take mine around muddy pay and play sites... the worst it gets is dirty water from the MOD shooting ranges and I normally try and wash that off ASAP.

I’ll probably now find myself peering under every parked 80LC I see just to get an idea of what is “normal” for when I start looking in earnest to buy an 80 myself. Wink
moonie

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2009 20:24    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank God

Somebody else's looks like mine, and it's about normal. Thinking of getting my 1995 LC II restored properly so it will last for many years to come.

I've managed to blast a lot of the loose rust off with a HP washdown gun I have. It saved hours of work with a wire brush. But be careful where you spray a 2000psi jet. Especially around rubber parts and the engine!! Oh, and they'll remove solid paint if you get too close...ooops-a-daisy...doh!

Thankfully, some former owner had the belly sealed and the damage is limited to the running gear and frame. I'm using wax-oyl to minimise more damage until she gets restored.
andy

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2009 21:04    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unfortunately the buyers have pulled out, because of the second lot of pictures, so I'm going to tax and insure it and park it down the high street with a for sale sign in the window.

It's now got a years mot with 2 advisory notes, one was a very rusty exhaust and the other was a brake pipe.
1993 VX80 4.2td SOLD
bj4079

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2009 2:19    Post subject: Reply with quote

The second lot of pictures show a fair amount of rust. Any structural members underneath would best be treated by removing loose rust with hand or wire wheel on drill machine. You could then stabilise the rust by using phosphoric acid based product like jenolite. I have used this to some effect using wire wool dipped in jenolite and rubbing over rust. Use gloves, goggles and hold the wire wool with nose pliers to get into nooks & crannies. The stuff burns skin, eyes, so be careful in handling it. After you have washed this off with water then use hammerite brown undercoat which can be painted directly on rust (but not loose stuff). Final finish can be a topcoat hammerite smooth paint.
In areas you don't want to treat the rust and which don't get hot, use waxoyl to at least slow the rust propogation.
Its a lot of work but will add years to your LC.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> General non-technical Q&A All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: