All Wheel Drive Club

The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club
Landcruiser Club - Dedicated to Toyota Landcruiser, Amazon, Colorado and Prado Owners

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
TLOCUK HomeTLOCUK Home   TLOCUK ForumsTLOCUK Forums  TLOCUK FaceBook GroupTLOCUK FaceBook Group
Click here to link to the South African LandCruiser Owners Club websiteLCCSA  Click here to link to the Australian LandCruiser Owners OnLine website - possibly the longest established Land Cruiser club on the net!LCOOL  Click here to link to the IH8MUD website - run by extremely enthusiastic Land Cruiser owners, with a fantastic source of DIY information and useful forum!IH8MUD  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

Trips to cold places and snow

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> General non-technical Q&A
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Adam

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 20:48    Post subject: Trips to cold places and snow Reply with quote

Has anyone here done any trips with their LC in the snow and cold?  I have been hankering for a winter trip with some snow for a while now, but never got around to it with my Land Rover, so am thinking about it with the LC.  I would be interested to hear of any experiences (especially from 100 series owners) and photos if there are any.

How do they perform and handle?  What is their traction like?  Has anyone here driven both a Defender and LC in the snow and how do they compare with regards to traction etc??

I have a set of BFG A/T fitted which are fully snow compliant, so I am presuming these will suffice for all but the heavy stuff where chains would be required, but does anyone have any experience of them on snow and ice?

Who knows, perhaps we can organise a little trip away for a few days??  I am not thinking of anything serious like the Croisiere Blanche or anything, but a few days away in perhaps Wales or up north.

Adam
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 20:48    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

Adam

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 20:57    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=shI1XgfECkY

Well, this certainly helps me with one part!!!
Ecky Thump
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 13:31    Post subject: Reply with quote

Me 'n' Tommo spent christmas in the French Alps and I played in some quite deep snow in mine.

The tyres are M&S Grabber UHP which are little more than a road tyre but faired quite well until the snow got to about a foot deep.

My problem was the tyres building up a ramp of snow which they then didn't have the grip to climb. Chains are hard to come by for the tyre size
unless you have very deep pockets.

All in all the beast handled well even on ice and I was a lot happier with it than I was with the old V8 Disco I had.
Not exactly a Defender I know but a fair comparison. The Cruiser just made me feel more confident regardless of what
was underfoot.

Temperatures never went above -5 and there were no starting or mechanical issues.
1997 auto petrol 80 (for Er'in'doors)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> General non-technical Q&A All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: