Atlas Overland Adventure Tours

The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club
Landcruiser Club - Dedicated to Toyota Landcruiser, Amazon, Colorado and Prado Owners

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
TLOCUK HomeTLOCUK Home   TLOCUK ForumsTLOCUK Forums  TLOCUK FaceBook GroupTLOCUK FaceBook Group
Click here to link to the South African LandCruiser Owners Club websiteLCCSA  Click here to link to the Australian LandCruiser Owners OnLine website - possibly the longest established Land Cruiser club on the net!LCOOL  Click here to link to the IH8MUD website - run by extremely enthusiastic Land Cruiser owners, with a fantastic source of DIY information and useful forum!IH8MUD  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

Power heater on diesel 100

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> 100 Series / Amazon Technical Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ivor Champion

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2006 0:57    Post subject: Power heater on diesel 100 Reply with quote

Hi I have a diesel 100 and the power heater seems to do nothing. Also when I shut the engine down a gurgling sound comes from the power heater for a few seconds. Dose anybody know anything about these heaters. I think it is callea a Viscous Power Heater. I look forward to your views. Ivor
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2006 0:57    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

jay amazon

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2006 19:58    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi just bought my 100 diesel so dont really know to much about them but when I put my power heater on the engine revs twice as high as normal but returns to normal when drive is selected even with the power light still on when I turn the ignition of Idont hear any noises whatsoever hope this helps you
Ivor Champion

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2006 2:09    Post subject: Reply with quote

jay amazon wrote:
Hi just bought my 100 diesel so dont really know to much about them but when I put my power heater on the engine revs twice as high as normal but returns to normal when drive is selected even with the power light still on when I turn the ignition of Idont hear any noises whatsoever hope this helps you
Yeah mine still dose all of that but produces no heat and makes the gurgling noise. What I need is somebody who understands Viscous Power Heaters, anybody out there?
DaveN

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2006 17:18    Post subject: Reply with quote

What's a power heater??
joinerman

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2006 19:05    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like you dave never heard of that one. Perhaps it's turbo charged!!!!!!!

Brian
DaveN

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2006 22:25    Post subject: Reply with quote

So it's an engine pre-heat using the glowplugs then? Doesn't this happen automatically anyway depending on external temperature.
realspeed

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2006 22:35    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry all my mistake slap my wrist

Quote page 245 of handbook "Use the power Switch to adjust the heating effect in extremely cold conditions. if you do not turn the power heater switch to off, the engine speed is increased whenever the engine is started" end quote

Realspeed
realspeed

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2006 22:50    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I am intitled to have a "Senior " moment occassionally Embarassed

Realspeed
DaveN

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2006 0:01    Post subject: Reply with quote

So it just increases the idle speed, just like the manual lever on the old 80 series. Do you get a radiator blind on the 100's as well?
geartron99

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2006 10:19    Post subject: link Reply with quote

http://www.toyota-industries.com/product/auto/compressor/index.html

scroll down page about half way its located under other
Grimbo
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2006 13:40    Post subject: Reply with quote

By the look of it it's not fixable if it go's wrong, seem's to be a gizmmo to help heat water quicker in morning so you don't drive for the first 4 miles in the cold. Smile
Ivor Champion

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2006 10:08    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks all for your help. It looks as though the Viscous Pump Heater thingie just produces extra heat for the water in the cooling system. It also looks as though the two pipes going to the unit comtain the same cooling water as the rest of the engine. The power heater is only operational when the electric clutch is engaged and presumably the increase in engine speed is to supply enough speed/ power to turn the heater. I have also noticed that the cooling water level is slightly down, I wonder if this could be why I am getting a gurgling sound from the pipes to the heater. Seems as though this is a rare beast when it comes to knowledge about it.
Gensetsteve

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2006 22:22    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its a pump on top of the engine it forces warm coolant from engine to heater. The engine takes longer to warm up makes emmissions worse and uses more fuel but if you could afford 45k for a new car then it was an option especially if you were a millionaire
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> 100 Series / Amazon Technical Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: