Adrian Flux : 0800 916 1257

The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club
Landcruiser Club - Dedicated to Toyota Landcruiser, Amazon, Colorado and Prado Owners

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
TLOCUK HomeTLOCUK Home   TLOCUK ForumsTLOCUK Forums  TLOCUK FaceBook GroupTLOCUK FaceBook Group
Click here to link to the South African LandCruiser Owners Club websiteLCCSA  Click here to link to the Australian LandCruiser Owners OnLine website - possibly the longest established Land Cruiser club on the net!LCOOL  Click here to link to the IH8MUD website - run by extremely enthusiastic Land Cruiser owners, with a fantastic source of DIY information and useful forum!IH8MUD  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

How To Reset windows after disconnecting batteries?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> 120 Series / Prado Technical Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Crispin

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2009 15:50    Post subject: How To Reset windows after disconnecting batteries? Reply with quote

so today I decided to disconnect both batteries. After reconnecting both batteries, the drivers window was, as expected, confused. A quick 1/2 down and up and all is well.
Oddly though, the other 3 windows do not work at all. Not automatically nor "manual". There is only one fuse for all windows and obviously it is still ok as the drivers works ok.

How can I fix this? I am going to try disconnect the battery again and start from the beginning but don't hold much hope.
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2009 15:50    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

Landcrusher
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2009 17:20    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now, I seem to remember that this is one of the situations that can be cured by holding both buttons down together on the remote for two seconds. I think that happened to mine.

No harm in trying.

LC
Crispin

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2009 17:49    Post subject: Reply with quote

Promise me you will not laugh.....

Problem solved.
I was out and decided to press the passenger  button. The window worked. Half way down, return up and auto is working. Did the same to the rear windows and all is well. You have to teach each window from their own switch (fair enough..)

The reason this had not worked before? The windows were locked from the driver's switches  Embarassed  Embarassed  Embarassed  Fool.

So, ensure the windows are unlocked before teaching each one individually. Neutral
Rick

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 11:23    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry if this is a silly question, but what are the windows supposed to do automatically and what are they confused about?  What are you trying to teach them? Confused
garystockton
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 12:11    Post subject: Reply with quote

You see - children for less than a week and it's all gone to pot already  Laughing

Glad you reset them OK - winter's coming along at a rate again  Crying or Very sad
Crispin

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 14:02    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rick wrote:
Sorry if this is a silly question, but what are the windows supposed to do automatically and what are they confused about?  What are you trying to teach them? Confused

When the power is lost, the windows need to be "taught" where the limits are. i.e. when they closed and when they fully open.
Before you do this, there is no auto up / auto down feature on any of them.

To do this, wind down the window half way, then back up but once closed, hold the button up for a second. Once done, the window will open and close automatically. You have to do this to each window from the respective switch, not the driver's set of switches.

The sunroof requires a similar process but for some reason, I did not need to do this.
Crispin

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 14:03    Post subject: Reply with quote

garystockton wrote:
You see - children for less than a week and it's all gone to pot already  Laughing

Glad you reset them OK - winter's coming along at a rate again  Crying or Very sad

Did it ever leave? Were it not for my new daughter I would be contimplating suicide again Neutral
Rick

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2009 11:05    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm, I think I understand.  I'm surprised they don't just go down until they reach the bottom, and go up until they reach the top.
So if you didn't teach/reset them, what would happen when you pressed the down button?  Presumably you are saying they would go down to the bottom, the glass would stop but the motor would continue running and be damaged?  Sounds like a design fault to me.
Thanks anyway.
Crispin

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2009 12:20    Post subject: Reply with quote

if you push the button down two clicks (auto) they will stop when you release the button and not continue as auto.

The reason you have to "teach" them is so they know where the limits are.

I believe there are two types of windows: ones with limit switches and ones with current sensors. The former do not need to be taught as the switches tell it when it's fully open or fully closed.
The current sensor ones sense when the motor has stalled (window fully closed) and whenever the window uses this amount of current, the assumption is that it is closed or jammed. Either way, it stops it.

The latter option (my landrover had them) generally does not have an auto up option as there is no jam protection. The current sense one inherently has jam protection.

It's not a design flaw but actually superior over the limit switches. Less cabling (an extra 4 wires per window for switches) as well as jam protection.
Crispin

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2009 12:24    Post subject: Reply with quote

forgot to add:

In your scenario, the glass would stop and, assuming non of the linkages break, the motor would stall. It would, within a few seconds, overheat and pop a fuse due to over current. A stalled motor is basically a dead short.

[Why can I not edit some posts but others I can?]
Rick

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 17:02    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see.  Seems terribly complicated but I guess that's modern cars for you  Shocked  
I'm guessing that the Landrover you had was a Discovery.  That would explain why you are so well acquainted with auto electrics.  You'd need to be to keep one of those going Laughing
Crispin

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 19:49    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rick wrote:
I see.  Seems terribly complicated but I guess that's modern cars for you  Shocked  
I'm guessing that the Landrover you had was a Discovery.  That would explain why you are so well acquainted with auto electrics.  You'd need to be to keep one of those going Laughing

I think if you took a look at the electrics in modern cars it would make you cry.

Discovery? Naaa, to reliable. I had a freelander. Worse. Sad
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> 120 Series / Prado Technical Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: