4x4 & MPV Driver - 40% subscription discount

The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club
Landcruiser Club - Dedicated to Toyota Landcruiser, Amazon, Colorado and Prado Owners

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
TLOCUK HomeTLOCUK Home   TLOCUK ForumsTLOCUK Forums  TLOCUK FaceBook GroupTLOCUK FaceBook Group
Click here to link to the South African LandCruiser Owners Club websiteLCCSA  Click here to link to the Australian LandCruiser Owners OnLine website - possibly the longest established Land Cruiser club on the net!LCOOL  Click here to link to the IH8MUD website - run by extremely enthusiastic Land Cruiser owners, with a fantastic source of DIY information and useful forum!IH8MUD  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

Various current information for 120

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> 120 Series / Prado Technical Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Crispin

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2009 16:14    Post subject: Various current information for 120 Reply with quote

As part of my quest in building a car PC, I wanted to know what the various "states" were and how much current they each used. Reason being, I wanted to see how bad the extra 150ma of the PC in standby is relative to the car "in standby"

I disconnected two batteries (earth) and hooked up my trusty multimeter between negative and the earth strap. (I was lucky on two occasions, it will become clear)
The engine was 9/10 on it's way to normal operating temperature as I had been out driving.

Here are the findings:

Alarm On
  • 210mA
  • After 5 minutes: 20mA
    Unlock
  • Spike of 12A
  • Interior lights on: 1.8A
  • Interior lights off: 80mA
    Lock
  • Spike of 16A

Unlock, drivers door open
  • 1.8A
  • After 30 seconds: 270mA

Ignition / Acc
  • Radio Off: 2A
  • Radio On (BBC Radio 1): 2.5A (Note: When tuned to Radio 4, there was no noticeable increase despite the audio content having far more culture)

Ignition / On
  • 6A continuous (Note: Only as I turned it on did I think "*beep* *beep* *beep*;glow plugs". After going back to meter, it was still happy. Guess they did not need heating or my meter would have been cooked)
  • Winding window down: 6A
  • Winding window up: 12A (This surprised me)
  • Sunroof opening: 12A
  • Sunroof closing: 12A
  • Sunroof Tilting: 11A

All the tests were repeated and figures pretty much the same. Obviously the usage is not that of the individual part but the drain on the batter. i.e. the window does not use 12A to close.

I was surprised at the standby current of only 20ma. I really was expecting more (not sure why. Not like the size of the vehicle dictates the standby current Smile )

Anyway, maybe this will be of interest to some, otherwise pretty mundane reading. Neutral
It does though point out that my hope of leaving a pc on standby and consuming 150ma is a tall ask.
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2009 16:14    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

Rick

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 9:44    Post subject: Reply with quote

Crispin
If you left a PC on standby in your car, wouldn't some chav scum just break in and steel it?
Crispin

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 10:14    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rick wrote:
Crispin
If you left a PC on standby in your car, wouldn't some chav scum just break in and steel it?

Would electrifying the car illegal? Smile

The monitor would clip off and be stowed under the seat or something to that effect. The PC is not visible through the windows as well.

When I mean standby though, the screen would be off and pc essentially shut down but still running. The benefit in this is it is instant on (<3 seconds for the one I have here) instead of the 30 odd second bootup.
Drawback is that in standby it is still using power compared to being totally off.

As an aside, electrifying the car was done by a friend of mine a few years ago. Foil strips under the door handles connected to a cattle electric fence. Gave you a real wallop.  Surprised

If someone is going to steel it, so be it.  Crying or Very sad
Nuclear Chicken
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 12:09    Post subject: Reply with quote

What about a small solar panel to keep the battery trickle charged?
Crispin

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 15:50    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nuclear Chicken wrote:
What about a small solar panel to keep the battery trickle charged?

Not sure where Cloudy cuckoo land is but I live in England. It's summer, sorry, "summer" and I my solar power calculator has stopped working....

Is a point though. If you could mount a 10W panel to your roof rack you would be fine. In full sunlight you would have ±800ma. Less on cloudy days but still enough to negate the extra draw.
jojo1

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 20:46    Post subject: Car PC Reply with quote

Hi Crispin,

You need to contact Lawrence on the 70 series forum. He's the guru! He built my car PC 5 years ago and it's never failed/crashed once after innumerable Sahara trips.

Happy trails,

Jojo
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> 120 Series / Prado Technical Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: