Atlas Overland Adventure Tours

The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club
Landcruiser Club - Dedicated to Toyota Landcruiser, Amazon, Colorado and Prado Owners

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
TLOCUK HomeTLOCUK Home   TLOCUK ForumsTLOCUK Forums  TLOCUK FaceBook GroupTLOCUK FaceBook Group
Click here to link to the South African LandCruiser Owners Club websiteLCCSA  Click here to link to the Australian LandCruiser Owners OnLine website - possibly the longest established Land Cruiser club on the net!LCOOL  Click here to link to the IH8MUD website - run by extremely enthusiastic Land Cruiser owners, with a fantastic source of DIY information and useful forum!IH8MUD  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

Red oil 'warning' light!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> 120 Series / Prado Technical Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dannyson

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2009 23:11    Post subject: Red oil 'warning' light! Reply with quote

Shocked  Maybe I'm getting even more paranoid .... I notice the red oil 'can' warning light seems to be staying on longer than before ....... or is it? Confused   Confused (LC4 '53reg. 52,500 miles or so)  is this a precurser to the engine going pop?? Crying or Very sad   Crying or Very sad  

I turn the ignition key and all the yellow and red dashboard lights come on - and before the final turn to start the engine - all/most of the yellow lights go out (I think) but the oil red light stays on for a couple of seconds ....or so after the engine has started..... can't say I've noticed this before!! how long does yours stay on for?   Sad
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2009 23:11    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

Nuclear Chicken
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2009 23:44    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds about right when the engine is cold. It will go out quicker on a hot engine. Always takes a mo to build up pressure. Is your oil level OK? The 120s have a bi tch of a dipstick to get a good reading I know.
Crispin

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2009 23:45    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe a second? Just after the engine takes. It is the last to go out.

Currently engine is ice cold so would that make it take longer or quicker? or would it not make a difference.
Nuclear Chicken
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2009 23:51    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cold engine slightly longer as the viscosity of the oil is higher (i.e. is thicker) and it takes a fraction longer to reach operating pressure. 'Hot' oil will be slightly less. Not sure if you'd notice the time difference on a dash warning light though. My light goes out, I'd say, about 1 sec after the engine catches. After an oil change, with an empty filter and a slightly more drained system, it will take slightly longer again.
4runner

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2009 9:24    Post subject: Reply with quote

this is normal
on my previous toyota 4runner it had an oil pressure guage in dash instrument cluster as standard and the needle would take a few seconds after start up to move to operating pressure
this light indicates same delay

2013 Hilux Invincible
Subaru Forester XT
D4D Yaris
dannyson

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2009 13:04    Post subject: Reply with quote

Embarassed  Embarassed  phew!! ... OK thanks fellas!! - puts my mind at rest at least ..... maybe I just hadn't looked for it before - but with all this talk of this engine trouble .......  Sad   Sad
bigone

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2010 18:20    Post subject: oil change Reply with quote

Ref the comment on the longer time to achieve pressure after oli/filter change - what is the general practice for start-up for a 4.2 TD VX after the change? I ask because on my other cars I prefer to spin the engine without starting in order to get the oil round, fill the empty filter and the pressure light extinguished before I start up. On my ford if you push the accelerator to the floor and turn the ignition switch the ECU inhibits the engine from firing. I then just spin it on the battery 'till the oil light goes out. Or isn't this generally thought to be necessary ie no pressure for a while does not cause wear (white metal bearings.....)?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> 120 Series / Prado Technical Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: