Adrian Flux : 0800 916 1257

The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club
Landcruiser Club - Dedicated to Toyota Landcruiser, Amazon, Colorado and Prado Owners

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
TLOCUK HomeTLOCUK Home   TLOCUK ForumsTLOCUK Forums  TLOCUK FaceBook GroupTLOCUK FaceBook Group
Click here to link to the South African LandCruiser Owners Club websiteLCCSA  Click here to link to the Australian LandCruiser Owners OnLine website - possibly the longest established Land Cruiser club on the net!LCOOL  Click here to link to the IH8MUD website - run by extremely enthusiastic Land Cruiser owners, with a fantastic source of DIY information and useful forum!IH8MUD  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

Tilt

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> 100 Series / Amazon Technical Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
realspeed

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2006 21:31    Post subject: Tilt Reply with quote

Just letting you all know my Amazon has had to go back to the garage for what I think are somewhat unusual faults.
First the tilt on the sunroof has packed up although it still slides ok.
Second the steering column won't tilt to the angle preset by the driver on the door button, or manually via the 4 way switch on the column itself.
Again the reach is ok just the tilt doesn't work properly.

The vehicle has done approx 21,000 miles and first registered in Sept 2004. Just a small point also on one of the wheels there several patches where the alloy is raising from under the surface so getting the garage to have a look at that as well.

Ok I bought the car second hand with 14,000 miles on it, but I have to say I am a little dissapointed that, on a vehicle costing nearly £50,000 new, beside the new sensors, these faults are occuring.

The local garage are marvellous and fixing the faults free of charge, no compaints there, just its annoying having these things happen in the first place.

Apart from that I can't remember if the Sat Nav can accept post codes maybe someone can help me out, the instruction book is in the car so until I get it back I can't find out.

Made me laugh, my pal, has just bought a brand new Nisson X-Trail and we were comparing the Sat Nav systems side by side between the two vehicles.
I said on mine I can go to anywhere in Europe and it dispays all the roads, even in the Vatican City for example. He said his covers the same 8 European countries as well, but what made me hoot with laughter, when he tried the same for street map of the Vatican City all it said was " out of range".
Now I don't know if his only displays within a certain area, but for a car that again was top of the version, I would have expected it to cover the whole of the 8 European countries from where ever it was.

Realspeed
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2006 21:31    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

realspeed

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2006 16:27    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just got the car back and the motor in the steering column had packed up.
The sunroof they claim should only open a small amout but I am sure on other cars it opens more than an inch. Still don't use the sunroof so not too worried about that.
the Alloy wheels have all been replaced even though it was only one that was lifting the surface from underneath.
So i can't complain about the service but I am just annoyed that these occured in the first place. I don't know if their quality control is slipping or that it just happens to be a one off.

Realspeed
realspeed

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2006 17:18    Post subject: Reply with quote

The garage assures me that the tilt on the sunroof only opens 1.2", and to slide opens all but about 1" and you have to push the button again to fully open it.
Now I can't understand why the sunroof doesn't fully slide open on the first button push, Why have it so to open fully you have to push the button again? seems strange to me.

Realspeed
RADIOTWO

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2006 18:12    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi realspeed

Just to let you know, Mine only opens about 1" and re the one tuch on the main open, mine also goes so far then a last press on the button opens it all the way.

A question for you though, are your sunroof switches back lit ?

Steve
RADIOTWO

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2006 18:13    Post subject: Reply with quote

oops sorry for the typo

Steve
amazonmark

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2006 22:32    Post subject: Stuff and questions you asked Reply with quote

Hi Realspeed

On the electric steering wheel problem a colleague with an Amazon has had 2 changed in 12 months but thankfully mine are still going.....

On the sunroof that is right it only raises a little on tilt. Not sure why it has two stage retraction is it something to do with the airflow as when I had mine all the way back it seemed as though the aitr pressure was about to blow out the rear door?

On the postcode it depends which model you have as they updated the Sat nav capability around 2004 - if yours has it you need destination and then when it says street or town it should be within the town menu

On the alloys I had 2 sets completely replaced on my previous Lexus - even if you have curbed the alloys if they start to corrode then they replace them under warranty. The first time they said it was because they had a wrong batch which came from Japan where they dont grit the roads and therefore had the wrong metal composition - the stuff they dream up !!!
realspeed

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2006 0:26    Post subject: Reply with quote

To answer both questions

The Sat Nav DVD is 2004-2005 version1 , and the switches that operate the sunroof are not backlit.

regarding post codes? From what you say you cannot just type in a post code and it will give you the road name etc, only if the town and road name are typed in first. Is that correct, only my thought is how handy it would be just to type a post code ( if known) and the Sat nav does the rest.
Just found the screens which show individual countries covered and the main towns in them, only had the car since Sept last year Embarassed had already found the European total coverage.

And thanks for the help with my query.

Realspeed
lucky
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2006 9:01    Post subject: Re: Stuff and questions you asked Reply with quote

amazonmark wrote:
Hi Realspeed

On the electric steering wheel problem a colleague with an Amazon has had 2 changed in 12 months but thankfully mine are still going.....

On the sunroof that is right it only raises a little on tilt. Not sure why it has two stage retraction is it something to do with the airflow as when I had mine all the way back it seemed as though the aitr pressure was about to blow out the rear door?

On the postcode it depends which model you have as they updated the Sat nav capability around 2004 - if yours has it you need destination and then when it says street or town it should be within the town menu

On the alloys I had 2 sets completely replaced on my previous Lexus - even if you have curbed the alloys if they start to corrode then they replace them under warranty. The first time they said it was because they had a wrong batch which came from Japan where they dont grit the roads and therefore had the wrong metal composition - the stuff they dream up !!!

The two stage close, probably a safety feature. My 80 series has two stage close on slide but not on tilt. Supposedly so that kids can't get their heads, arms, fingers caught in it as they won't think to press the button again.
RADIOTWO

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2006 9:13    Post subject: Re: Stuff and questions you asked Reply with quote

The two stage close, probably a safety feature. My 80 series has two stage close on slide but not on tilt. Supposedly so that kids can't get their heads, arms, fingers caught in it as they won't think to press the button again.

Hi Lucky,

its not a close problem, its when you open it !

Steve
lucky
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2006 10:48    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steve.

Could be an adjustment issue, maybe the mechanism is fouling on something. The LC sunroofs do wear and need adjustment after a while, it's just a pain to do it as you need to remove the headlining to get at the sunroof mechanism. Mine has a problem in that you get a wind noise when it is closed because the front edge is sitting down from where it should be.

When I open it on Tilt it opens about 2 inches max. Doesn't have a two stage opening, only closing on slide.
joinerman

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2006 19:20    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mine also produces wind noise, you only notice it when the inner sun blind thingamy bob is open. My tilt opens about 3".

Brian
lucky
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2006 19:42    Post subject: Reply with quote

Same on mine, only when the blind is open. You can get rid of the noise by tilting it a millimeter or so. Mind you the bonger goes off when you switch off the engine though - took me ages to work that one out.
Boatman

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2006 10:56    Post subject: Two stage open Reply with quote

Hi, Realspeed,

The reason for the 2 stage opening on the slide operation of the sunroof is to prevent drumming caused by the airflow at speed. As you rightly point out, you can override the feature and open it fully by pushing the button again if you want to, but the first push just gives you eardrum-saving mode. Not sure why that last inch is important Embarassed - maybe it was cheaper to limit the opening a bit than redesign the sunroof if they only found out about the drumming fairly late on in development of the vehicle.

FWIW, I've just measured the opening on mine when it's tilted and it's about 1"
imprator

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2006 4:18    Post subject: Reply with quote

Regarding the steering wheel adjustment motor failure - this is a known weakness on 100's. It doesn't strike all vehicles, but occurs more often than it should. An early warning sign is a squeaking noise when the wheel moves in or out as you remove or replace the keys in the ignition. Then again, my 1999 LC has been squeking since I got it 4 years ago and hasn't failed yet. (I am touching wood as I type this.)

I don't know whether alloy wheels are a particular problem, although mine also corroded quite badly before I had them refinished.

BTW - another known weak point is the starter motor. Problems begin when you occasionally get just a clicking sound - and nothing else - when you turn the key to start the engine. Things gradually worsen until you can spend 20 minutes turning the key before the useles thing deigns to start. (Er, sorry about that... You can probably guess that I have experienced this problem!)
JohnNash

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2006 13:51    Post subject: Steering column motor Reply with quote

Aha!! So I'm not the only one that has replaced two steering column motors in two years. Mine is presently with the dealer awaiting the second motor. I'm told it will cost me approx £275 incl VAT - ouch!

I've also developed a problem with the drivers window. The relay in the armrest switch assembly is firing like a machine gun and only works properly on occasions. New switch assembly is in the region of £300 -ouch again!

Has anyone else had this problem?
1978 BMWR100S (retirement project)
1994 BMW R100RT (last of the marque and mint)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> 100 Series / Amazon Technical Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: