4x4 & MPV Driver - 40% subscription discount

The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club
Landcruiser Club - Dedicated to Toyota Landcruiser, Amazon, Colorado and Prado Owners

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
TLOCUK HomeTLOCUK Home   TLOCUK ForumsTLOCUK Forums  TLOCUK FaceBook GroupTLOCUK FaceBook Group
Click here to link to the South African LandCruiser Owners Club websiteLCCSA  Click here to link to the Australian LandCruiser Owners OnLine website - possibly the longest established Land Cruiser club on the net!LCOOL  Click here to link to the IH8MUD website - run by extremely enthusiastic Land Cruiser owners, with a fantastic source of DIY information and useful forum!IH8MUD  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

underbody protection?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> 120 Series / Prado Technical Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
fast but dim

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 21:36    Post subject: underbody protection? Reply with quote

i've got steering, f & r diff guards, plus treesliders on my defender,  do i need anything to use a lc120 offroad for laning and a bit of pay and play? tbh i've seen the rocksliders made by someond on here, and might get some made up to protect the sills, and give me the option to use my hi lift.

with my 90 the extra protection gives me confidence off road, is it necessary on a 120, and if so who stocks it? i'm laning this weekend with my lr mates, and will prob take the cruiser.

ta ian
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 21:36    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

Crispin

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 21:56    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 120's steps / sliders are made from catering spec tin foil. First time you bash them they bend / move. Ask myself and Gary  Shocked

As for underbody, Gary as some but I cannot remember the name of. I would like to add it as I can see some scaring on my stock tin item. Better than nothing though but don't expect much protection from rocks etc.
Have a search through the forums, there are a couple topics on the 120 and underbody protection.
Landcrusher
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 23:10    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's from ASFIR. Through TBR Harwich usually. Expensive. If you can bash and weld you could make them yourself very very much cheaper.

C
Crispin

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 23:27    Post subject: Reply with quote

we not all Landcrusher skilled you know Wink
Mine would be a rectangle the size of the car with 4 cutouts for the wheels. Embarassed
Landcrusher
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 23:38    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's it! I knew someone would have a design.
It really really isn't a big job. I looked at plates before I could weld and worked out that on a 90 or 120 commercial products were massively overpriced. But not only that, actually pretty flat too. No need to get all curley wurley. 3mm steel is not hard to work with An angle grinder and drill would do most of the work with a touch of weld here and there. I even looked at bolting plates where angles were needed instead of welding. That would have worked. I can't weld aluminium yet. if you lived a little closer, I'd have a go at making you a set. Really. Time is the problem, not skills or material on this one.
Crispin

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 23:44    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have family in Chesterfield, I may even admit part of me being from there (My left buttock! Twisted Evil ) I may need to make a "family" visit up there soon Smile

I did think about trying to make my own but confidence, time skill etc etc Sad One day maybe.
Landcrusher
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 23:48    Post subject: Reply with quote

Get away. Here in Chesterflod? Well it really is a small World. I'd better get some steel in then!

C
garystockton
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2010 12:53    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, I've got some on.  Was about to make up a template for Gav / Chris / whoever to work from .....
fast but dim

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2010 20:17    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very Happy  my mate is a fabricator in a bodybuilders, he keeps telling me he's the world's best welder!  if anyone's got any specs / drawing's etc for protection he'd def. knock something up.

even some pics for him to work off would be good. i daresay for a couple of quid he'll knock a few pieces out for other forum members, he's skint, and there's no overtime for him at work. if he's making something for me it's as easy to make a couple.

ta ian
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> 120 Series / Prado Technical Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: