Adrian Flux : 0800 916 1257

The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club
Landcruiser Club - Dedicated to Toyota Landcruiser, Amazon, Colorado and Prado Owners

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
TLOCUK HomeTLOCUK Home   TLOCUK ForumsTLOCUK Forums  TLOCUK FaceBook GroupTLOCUK FaceBook Group
Click here to link to the South African LandCruiser Owners Club websiteLCCSA  Click here to link to the Australian LandCruiser Owners OnLine website - possibly the longest established Land Cruiser club on the net!LCOOL  Click here to link to the IH8MUD website - run by extremely enthusiastic Land Cruiser owners, with a fantastic source of DIY information and useful forum!IH8MUD  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

Indicator problem

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> 120 Series / Prado Technical Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
archy

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 12:52    Post subject: Indicator problem Reply with quote

Hi, I have done a search but cannot find exactly what my issue is.

Here it goes and I hope you guys can help.

I have an 2006 (06) LC5 LWB.

Over the weekend when indicating to turn left the inicators flash really fast.  At first I thought it was one of the bulb fused, but all the indicator bulbs are ok.

I have check the connectors and changed the connector sockets and the fault is still there.

But if i put the side lights on or the headlights and indicate left the indicators flash normally.

Thanks Ash
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 12:52    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

Dion

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 14:47    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like a bad earth.
Nuclear Chicken
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 16:23    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dion is probably right Archy, double check the connections again, particularly the ground. Have you a tow bar socket by any chance? Check in there too and the connections related to it, probably in the rearmost N/S pillar.
14all_and_all41

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 16:35    Post subject: Reply with quote

Towbar socket a good spy, but also the connections of the towbar socket to the landcruisers wiring loom. I've just had a similar problem on mine, turns out all the towbar wiring had been scotch locked in, wrapped in insulating tape, and with the location (just behind the N/S rear wheel) it was subject to everything the rear wheels could throw at it.

Took about 3hrs to strip everything out, tidy the loom, extend wires and properly solder and heatshrink everything back in place. Then put a cover below the wires to stop the loom interuption getting blasted anymore by the *beep* the rear wheel throws.

The loom interuption for the towbar was there when I bought the car, and happened to notice the connector on the back of rear chassis member with a blank in it, which suspiciously looks like a towbar wiring connection plug, not confirmed, but if it is wish the turkeys who did this wiring saw it.
Nuclear Chicken
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 16:39    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can get the Toyo loom kit for about £70 for the LC. I also had a Mickey Mouse install. I ripped the lot out and replaced it with the real McCoy that includes another flasher relay for the trailer load etc etc. No connections under the car other than new piggy backs on the fogs but they are proper connectors. Easy enough job to do except in the O/S wheel arch getting past the fan and air con stuff (I also have an LC5).

Those rubbish scotch block type systems should be banned. Utter junk.
marlot

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 18:22    Post subject: Reply with quote

scotch locks really are horrible.  they break the insulation and allow damp in, causing corrosion and bad connections.

It sounds like there's a high resistance somewhere, so a bulb is drawing slightly less current than it should and the flasher unit thinks a bulb has failed.  Is the left flasher slightly dimmer than the right?

The double speed flash is also used to alert you to the trailer indicator having failed, so it could think you've got a trailer plugged in, with a blown bulb.

One other possibility is that the flasher unit has gone faulty, and become too sensitive.  Unlikely though.
archy

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2010 10:14    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers guys it does have a factory tow bar fitted, not towed or used it but i had not thought of looking there.

Will give it a go.

Yesterday the wife was driving it and she said it was ok all day but then later on in the evening the same started to happen (indicator to the LHS flashing quickly).

I will look under the LC tonight as suggested near the wheel and also the tow bar connections.

thanks
Nuclear Chicken
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2010 10:35    Post subject: Reply with quote

Archy

Towbar conns, if factory done, will be in the socket (obviously) and behind the 'jack' access panel in the rear N/S corner of the boot. The connections to th elighting will be piggybacked some way on the lights themselves. If factory fitted, my first port of call would be the socket. Also there will be a connection piggybacked some way onto the fogs in the bumper. There is wiring access from underneath in the corner to the rear N/S pillar up into the boot area. It's normally very dirty as you'd imagine so were a goggles or specs to keep the *beep* out of you eyes....
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> 120 Series / Prado Technical Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: